Quantcast

Thread: Innovation's Master Link controller adapter cable for Master Gear converter

Outrunner

Default Innovation's Master Link controller adapter cable for Master Gear converter

I remember seeing advertisements for this back in the early 90's on those full page spreads Innovation used to do in some magazines. They had it listed there along with mockup screens of their other unlicensed GG and SMS games that they planned on releasing at the time, like Dooley the Dinosaur, Street Hero, that one caveman game (which name escapes me), and whatever they intended to retitle Jang Pung II. Seems like they were going to call it Street Battle or something similar since Street Hero was the English name of that beat 'em up.

I remember them specifically touting the compatibility of this with Jang Pung II and possibly a few other of their upcoming GG games.

If you haven't seen one it's cable that plugs into the link cable expansion port on top of the GG and has a port for a SMS controller on the other. You can then play two player SMS games on the GG with the Master Gear converter or play specific two player GG games without having to have two systems and two copies of the game.

I managed to snag one a few years ago from the wholesaler that ended up with the remainder of Innovation's stock after it was liquidated and they went out of business years ago. It was new, but was just loose in a bag and not in proper packaging. Tried it on a few SMS games and it seemed to work as advertised.

Has anyone done some extensive testing on this or know more about it? Was it ever actually released by Innovation or just manufactured but never packaged and sold properly due to them folding? I assume it would work fine with the SMS version of Jang Pung II, but what of the actual GG version? Does it do anything with any other GG games, licensed or otherwise?

Raging in the Streets SEGA.GENESIS1989's Avatar

Holy crap! I didn't know that the Game Gear had 2 player functionality similar to the Nomad!

Azathoth, does the cable look similar to the one posted in this particular ebay listing?

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Sega-Master-...item27be544897
    "There's nothing to fear, except fear itself"
    http://i1054.photobucket.com/albums/s486/link2link2link/YUZOKOSHIROISAGODNEOSEEDEDITION.gif

Outrunner

Yep, that's the cable. It comes loose in a plastic bag but will be brand new. AFAIK it was manufactured but never hit retail so all that exists are loose cables. Sometimes you'll see that same seller bundle it with new old stock boxes of the Innovation Master Gear converter.

I don't know the whole story behind Innovation going under and I can't for the life of me remember the names of the other company or guys involved, but what was left of Innovation's stock has changed hands once or twice and that seller has what's left. A lot of their stuff was typical low-end cheap third party crap but for their 16-bit and handheld lines they had quite a few unique items. They partnered with overseas manufacturers and brought over (or planned to bring) a lot of interesting things and just slapped the Innovation label on it. They're the guys behind that one adapter to play NES/FC games on the SNES, which was one of the first NOAC clones released in North America, and even today is superior to NOAC clones made 20 years later. That, along with their plans of bringing over several unlicensed SMS/GG/NES games, made them a bit more interesting than High Frequency, Madcatz, and their ilk.

Raging in the Streets SEGA.GENESIS1989's Avatar

Awesome information! Reped!

With respect to the adapter that allows NES/FC games on the SNES, are you speaking about the "Super 8" adapter or is it similar to the Retroport?
    "There's nothing to fear, except fear itself"
    http://i1054.photobucket.com/albums/s486/link2link2link/YUZOKOSHIROISAGODNEOSEEDEDITION.gif

Outrunner

Quote Originally Posted by SEGA.GENESIS1989 View Post
    Awesome information! Reped!

With respect to the adapter that allows NES/FC games on the SNES, are you speaking about the "Super 8" adapter or is it similar to the Retroport?
    Bingo, that's it, the Super 8 aka TriStar adapter.

Video Game Modder Outrunner segasonicfan's Avatar

Ive had one of these forever. They showed up on ebay 10+ years ago, loose. It only works for 2P support for SMS games. Nothing more, nothing less.

I DON'T LIKE POKEMON Hero of Algol j_factor's Avatar

Finally, I can play Cyborg Hunter on the Game Gear!

You just can't handle my jawusumness responces.

Raging in the Streets xelement5x's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by segasonicfan View Post
    Ive had one of these forever. They showed up on ebay 10+ years ago, loose. It only works for 2P support for SMS games. Nothing more, nothing less.
    Yeah, I had the same experience. I actually found my one of these cables the other day on the floor as it had fallen off a shelf near the rest of my GG stuff.
    Quote Originally Posted by StarMist View Post
    A spine card is the hymen of a new game assuring its first owner that he is truly her one and only, and of a used game assuring its new owner that whilst she has been played with in the past that play has never been too careless or thorough.

How does this work exactly? Just plug in a controller?

Quote Originally Posted by Jump Space View Post
    I used to go to Innovation's store, the Ultimate Game Club in Old Saybrook Connecticut. A real hole in the wall, it was basically a room in a house (they had a big sign at least), it was clear that they did most of their business through mail order (obviously). Most of the inventory was in another room, so shopping there was like ordering food from a taco stand.

I can't remember the head honcho's name, but I'm positive he went to prison more than once (I believe it may have involved fraud or smuggling, but it's been a while). The UGC closed after he got busted the first time and Innovation finally shut down for good during the second stint. At least, from what I remember. Mostly from talking to folks I knew in the area and other regional game stores that UGC distributed to (I got the majority of my import games and systems through them for sure), etc..

The UGC was where you went for imports in New England in the early 90's. I remember seeing a SuperGrafx just lying around there at one point. Nothing to see here. It was an interesting time to say the least.

Speaking of the Super 8, I've had one for around 20 years. I'm pretty sure it was $50 brand new. It still works perfectly.
    I always wonder about them, and if there ever was a physical store somewhere. I did followed them for years on EBay. Their items always have a lot of shelf ware as if they have been sitting in a neglected warehouse for years.
    I've had one of those GG P2 cables forever also.

A Light In The Building. Master of Shinobi

Quote Originally Posted by Jump Space View Post
    I can't remember the head honcho's name, but I'm positive he went to prison more than once (I believe it may have involved fraud or smuggling, but it's been a while).
    That would be Keith Taruski. Looks to be quite the character:

Sued by Nintendo.
    Sued by Sony.
    Sued by Microsoft.
    Charged for CD-ROM bootlegging.
    Was the exclusive U.S. distributor of ELPs' Laser Turntable.
    Deals in real estate.
    Has a YouTube channel.

--

Apparently, as of 2013, his primary business is still selling video game accessories. He needs to be interviewed.

Thread Information