Quantcast

Page 3 of 11 FirstFirst 1234567 ... LastLast

Thread: Bloodstained, Igarashi's "Igavania" kickstarter

Banned by Administrators

Programming is one thing. But he ain't no programmer if I'm remembering this correctly. Plus he was clearly playing in that demo, not programming.

Also I'm not saying that game didn't have controller support. My point was how casual of a gamer IGA is.

And I'm no fan of IGA at all. My fave Metroidvania also happens to be the one he wasn't involved in (Circle of the Moon). But generally, I hate the Metroidvania games and greatly miss the classic vania games that came before.

Old School Sega 4 Ever! Master of Shinobi Lan Di's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Thief View Post
    Programming is one thing. But he ain't no programmer if I'm remembering this correctly. Plus he was clearly playing in that demo, not programming.

Also I'm not saying that game didn't have controller support. My point was how casual of a gamer IGA is.

And I'm no fan of IGA at all. My fave Metroidvania also happens to be the one he wasn't involved in (Circle of the Moon). But generally, I hate the Metroidvania games and greatly miss the classic vania games that came before.
    To each his own I guess. The legendary Castlevania Symphony of the Night (one of the highest reviewed Castlevania games ever) is pure garbage in your opinion right?

Man in Black Master of Shinobi IrishNinja's Avatar

circle of the moon > aria/dawn, though?

this was cool, after might no 9 this was...refreshing, haha. controls felt good, could use some tightening but it's taking shape into something i really wanna play...been bummed about not getting an igavania on the 3DS, so this is really gonna scratch that itch!

Banned by Administrators

Quote Originally Posted by Lan Di View Post
    To each his own I guess. The legendary Castlevania Symphony of the Night (one of the highest reviewed Castlevania games ever) is pure garbage in your opinion right?
    Bought SotN for the PS1 when it was released. Still own it. And still have yet to be able to put up with a replay of it after several attempts, including Saturn version for new additions. Was perfectly fine with it the first time (even uncovered all of the map), but it's too flawed and terribly unbalanced gameplay wise for replay value. The hardest stage and boss in SotN was stage 1 (section before SCIV boss duo) for me. Game only got easier after that (ie. beat Dracula flawless victory on first attempt).

So yes, this game is also a testament to how garbage videogame reviews are as well and the direction of gaming preferences today. Nothing wrong with liking this game and even enjoying it very much, but the blind praise this game gets is just that, blind.

James Rolfe said it best with this game having to many variables and what Castlevania is really all about (skip to 7:28);

Also I'm a big fan of highly replayable games. Because to me that's what makes a game truly great. Endless replay value.

Old School Sega 4 Ever! Master of Shinobi Lan Di's Avatar

Bought SotN for the PS1 when it was released. Still own it. And still have yet to be able to put up with a replay of it after several attempts, including Saturn version for new additions. Was perfectly fine with it the first time (even uncovered all of the map), but it's too flawed and terribly unbalanced gameplay wise for replay value. The hardest stage and boss in SotN was stage 1 (section before SCIV boss duo) for me. Game only got easier after that (ie. beat Dracula flawless victory on first attempt).

So yes, this game is also a testament to how garbage videogame reviews are as well and the direction of gaming preferences today. Nothing wrong with liking this game and even enjoying it very much, but the blind praise this game gets is just that, blind.

James Rolfe said it best with this game having to many variables and what Castlevania is really all about (skip to 7:28);

Also I'm a big fan of highly replayable games. Because to me that's what makes a game truly great. Endless replay value.
    How about Super Metroid for the SNES?

Grandmaster's Reckoning ESWAT Veteran Knuckle Duster's Avatar

But I for sure believe IGA being put in charge of the Castlevenia series is one of the worst crimes ever.
    Case in point. He's playing with a keyboard instead of a controller.

Master of Shinobi Crystalpepsifan's Avatar

What other well liked/excellent games do you think are shit?

VA1LT CHIP ENABLED Master of Shinobi OverDrone's Avatar

Thief's right though that people overrate SOTN.

The level design in the inverted castle is not good, almost all enemy placement is of no consequence since you'll be in poison mist form 95% of the time. Add that to the risk-free platforming in the first half of the game and there is no real challenge to be had (compared to the Classicvania formula). I actually grabbed the JP version recently, having not played through it since release and I just couldn't die. The lack of difficulty isn't by accident either, IGA said he wanted to make a Castlevania game that everybody could beat and that it would be it's own spin-off series. Problem was Konami never used the classic formula again...

Amazing sprites, enemy design, backgrounds, music and so on, some of the greatest ever in a game in fact. It was a revelation when it first came out, but replayability is not it's strong point IMO.

Raging in the Streets

Whats wrong with a keyboard verses a controller? Especially for 2D games.

I mean maybe he just doesnt have a controller on hand in his studio

With developers not really being hardcore gamers (no sorry, i absolutely refuse to ever use the word 'casual' to describe a gamer), this isn't really an exception to the rule. Peter Molyeux himself said he doesn't actually care for video games that much.

Banned by Administrators

Quote Originally Posted by Lan Di View Post
    How about Super Metroid for the SNES?
    Never beat it. I did beat the original on GBA after Zero Missions and unlocking it. Thought M1 was one of the best videogames ever. Liked it much better then Zero Missions. Super Metroid I did try to play afterwards, but somewhere around the alien ship/getting grapple beam is where I lost interest in this game for some reason. Still plan on returning to it (especially now since it has a no map hack a la original Metroid). Only other Metroid game I've beat is Fusion (my first M game to own and beat). Never played II, but planning on it.

My thoughts on Super? So far I didn't like it better then M1, which M1 surprised the heck out of me. M1 was one of the best classic mindset videogame experiences of my life, despite playing it late in my life during a time I wasn't really playing videogames (only played it because it was on a portable and because it was in between work). When I played M1 it literally brought me back into the mindset of my youth during times when I had the most fun with videogames. Game also felt very videogame-e, for lack of a figuring out a better word.

Now the reason I lost interest in Super M (twice, actually. Around same spot too), is unknown (I don't even have much memories on what I've played of it so far). ... Actually, my brother has the exact same issue and played/beat the same M games I've beat. And he too loves M1 the best.

And my thoughts on both series so far? Well Metroid games seem much better then the Mvania games, because they're tighter/less convoluted gameplay wise, better designed, etc.. No leveling up EXP system is a great bonus too. For me the existence of Metroid series is very well justified. Existence of Mvania series... no. It's just a botched M series wannabe mess. Vania series should of stuck with what it does best. Being a vania game. Mvania should never of been called a vania game.

Why, what are your thoughts on both series? Which do you prefer more?

Quote Originally Posted by Crystalpepsifan View Post
    What other well liked/excellent games do you think are shit?
    I'm sure I can think of quite a few. I'm not what you call a "follower."

Quote Originally Posted by OverDrone View Post
    Thief's right though that people overrate SOTN.

The level design in the inverted castle is not good, almost all enemy placement is of no consequence since you'll be in poison mist form 95% of the time. Add that to the risk-free platforming in the first half of the game and there is no real challenge to be had (compared to the Classicvania formula). I actually grabbed the JP version recently, having not played through it since release and I just couldn't die. The lack of difficulty isn't by accident either, IGA said he wanted to make a Castlevania game that everybody could beat and that it would be it's own spin-off series. Problem was Konami never used the classic formula again...

Amazing sprites, enemy design, backgrounds, music and so on, some of the greatest ever in a game in fact. It was a revelation when it first came out, but replayability is not it's strong point IMO.
    Very well said.

Quote Originally Posted by Gogogadget View Post
    Whats wrong with a keyboard verses a controller? Especially for 2D games.

I mean maybe he just doesnt have a controller on hand in his studio

With developers not really being hardcore gamers (no sorry, i absolutely refuse to ever use the word 'casual' to describe a gamer), this isn't really an exception to the rule. Peter Molyeux himself said he doesn't actually care for video games that much.
    I was trying to get a point across that IGA is a very, very casual gamer. If a gamer at all.

And yes in this case it does matter very much, because he doesn't seem to have any grasp on gameplay design either. So what is he good for? Nothing. He's only as good as his henchmen below him, which happened to be Konami henchmen.

VA1LT CHIP ENABLED Master of Shinobi OverDrone's Avatar

I picked up a fresh JP SOTN in the passed few months as part of my foray back into PS1 stuff, and it's by far the game I go back to the least. Powerslave/Exhumed, although it's a FPS, subscribes very much to the Metroidvania way of doing things but the level design is courteous enough to provide a challenge at the same time, platforming included (!)

Yes I'm comparing a FPS and a 2D platformer, why are you looking at me funny?

Grandmaster's Reckoning ESWAT Veteran Knuckle Duster's Avatar

Leave it to Thief to argue IGA isn't a "real gamer" in a thread surrounding one of most successful kickstarter projects ever, due to IGA's rep and track record.

Absolutely fucking retarded.

Banned by Administrators

Quote Originally Posted by Knuckle Duster View Post
    Leave it to Thief to argue IGA isn't a "real gamer" in a thread surrounding one of most successful kickstarter projects ever, due to IGA's rep and track record.

Absolutely fucking retarded.
    I'm looking at his vania games I've played as a track record.

Man in Black Master of Shinobi IrishNinja's Avatar

i think you're conflating personal tastes with critical reception/influence/etc though

GTA for example really isn't my cup of tea - i don't think ive beaten a single one, just do dumb stuff for a bit before turning em off. there's a ton of content i'm not exploring, and even if it's not for me, the influence the series has had on games is tremendous. look how big III was as a PS2 exclusive, for starters!

but i'd not call the devs hacks, fake gamers etc....just that, it's not for me.

Banned by Administrators

Quote Originally Posted by IrishNinja View Post
    i think you're conflating personal tastes with critical reception/influence/etc though

GTA for example really isn't my cup of tea - i don't think ive beaten a single one, just do dumb stuff for a bit before turning em off. there's a ton of content i'm not exploring, and even if it's not for me, the influence the series has had on games is tremendous. look how big III was as a PS2 exclusive, for starters!

but i'd not call the devs hacks, fake gamers etc....just that, it's not for me.
    You're right, it isn't my cup of tea for reasons I've stated. Except I've beaten 3 of the 4 Mvania games (SotN & first two GBA ones. Aria I made it pretty far), so my complaints aren't based on outright dismissing these games out gate. Nor am I alone on my thoughts of the IGA Mvania games.

Thread Information