Quantcast

Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Thread: Retro Game Designer - Make your Genesis/Megadrive game without coding!

Hedgehog-in-Training Hedgehog-in-TrainingSports Talker

Default Retro Game Designer - Make your Genesis/Megadrive game without coding!

Homebrew developer Orionsoft, who created several titles including Escape 2042 has just launched a new exciting project on KickStarter:

It's program to create games for retro consoles (Genesis, Dreamcast, PS1 and Jaguar) without any coding.
    Apparently, it will come with some preprogramed game engines (platform game, adventure game, etc.), and the software will allow you to customize sounds, graphics, and built your own levels.

I know many of you are too skilled for such a tool, but I guess for many others it could be a very easy entry into the wonderful world of homebrews!

More details on the official KickStarter page.
    https://www.kickstarter.com/projects...-game-designer

Extreme Procrastinator Master of Shinobi Flygon's Avatar

Interesting. I wonder how well the performance will work out.

im very interested in playing around with this.

Hedgehog-in-Training Hedgehog-in-TrainingWildside Expert

Jumping on the NESmaker train I see.

Mega Driven Raging in the Streets cleeg's Avatar

What would be really nice here is a function that allowed you to see the code as you build the game, allowing you to build and learn, so that eventually you could code independently.

Well that's certainly a very ambitious project. While I think the its a fun concept, I'm reminded of the people I knew back in the days of Net Yaroze who thought that they were going to buy some simple dev tools and start churning out the next AAA games from their bedroom. I wish him luck with the project but I think that anyone that is seriously interested in retro console development will quickly pass the point of needing such a tool, and anyone that's a true beginner to game dev may be better off using MIT's Scratch tool to learn the basics and get a simple game up and running.

Maybe I'm wrong though, there seems to already be a decent amount of interest. I hope the goal is reached and we get to see a fun tool that helps people learn game dev.
    I command you to rise from your grave, use steroids and run around in your underwear kicking dogs.

Smith's Minister of War Hero of Algol Kamahl's Avatar

When I was younger I had a ton of fun with RPG Maker. If all you cared about was making a "game like Dragon Warrior", then it was more than powerful enough.
    I assume this and NESMaker are the same concept but with more game styles to choose from.

I wonder how customisable each of the "game styles" will be though, since even a tool like RPG Maker with a long history and focus felt limiting. In RPG Maker you had to drop to Ruby code to accomplish anything that wasn't "like Dragon Warrior", and 99% of the challenge was understanding what their engine did normally since it was all hidden from sight.

After RPG Maker I moved on to Game Maker, which was a bit like the already mentioned Scratch but more serious, you could actually use it to make a decent game you'd give out to people.

It was quite clever in its design, you had drag and drop actions like "move", "create object", "change sprite", etc.. plus things like loops and variables, so you could pretty much make any sort of 2D game with it (some people even made Doom style stuff with it).

The drag and drop actions were powerful enough you could get a decent game going, but limited enough you'd feel the need to drop to code. You could turn your scripts into drag and drop actions you could mix with the rest, so you could always work at a level you were comfortable with.

As a tool to teach programming it was brilliant, I pretty much owe my current career as a programmer to it, so I have a huge soft spot for tools like this (and apparently it costs 700 euros these days and has been used to make some high profile indies so clearly it caught on).

Maybe one day someone will make a tool more like Game Maker and less like RPG Maker for retro games, but it is very unlikely since what makes this sort of general tool possible is the CPU power to spare we have these days.
    This thread needs more... ENGINEERS

Quote Originally Posted by roce View Post
    Jumping on the NESmaker train I see.
    Yeah, although I didn't think somebody would try to a lot of platforms at once @_@ Guess I should have seen it coming.

Notoriously absent from this are Nintendo platforms. I wonder if somebody will make a NintendoMaker that does more than just NES.

AKA Mister Xiado Outrunner Raijin Z's Avatar

Pledge 30 or more ...the exported game will have a splash screen mentioning that it was made with Retro Game Designer.
    300.00 to have no splash screen? Yeah, no, interest is below that of eating a thumbtack sandwich.
    The Homepage of the Oldternet - Where it's always 1992 (or so).
    Youtube - Insert socially-unacceptable pejorative replacement for "Youtube" here.

Hedgehog-in-Training Hedgehog-in-TrainingSports Talker

Quote Originally Posted by Sik View Post
    Yeah, although I didn't think somebody would try to a lot of platforms at once @_@ Guess I should have seen it coming.

Notoriously absent from this are Nintendo platforms. I wonder if somebody will make a NintendoMaker that does more than just NES.
    I also found the platforms selection curious, until I realized that Orion have already created and released homebrews for each of these platforms. I think he's using the devkits and codebase he gathered from his previous project to make this tool, so I'm curious to see it in action.

The "NintendoMaker" is a cool idea too, but I think the SNES is too complex and specific to program to have been included in such a project. I think (and it's a pure supposition on my end) that he uses C and not ASM as the base language, as all the 4 platforms have very mature C-based SDK and performs quite well with games coded in C.

Quote Originally Posted by cleeg View Post
    What would be really nice here is a function that allowed you to see the code as you build the game, allowing you to build and learn, so that eventually you could code independently.
    it's not working like that, because, to be able to draw something on screen you need a huge code base, which include complex assembly language too, so people wouldn't learn from this
    also, that would make my tool open source, and I would need to include the full compiler/sdk for each platform, which is impossible

Quote Originally Posted by Raijin Z View Post
    300.00 to have no splash screen? Yeah, no, interest is below that of eating a thumbtack sandwich.
    So you want to be able to make lots of money from a 30 tool that took more than 1 year of full time work ?
    how would I get rewarded for my work ?
    Retro Game Development -> http://onorisoft.free.fr/ <-
    on Megadrive, Dreamcast, PS1, Gameboy, PC engine, Atari, Jaguar

Mega Driver Hedgehog-in-TrainingRoad Rasher Gryson's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Raijin Z View Post
    I'm pretty sure a splash screen is standard on free/cheap game engines and development platforms (I know Unity has one). If you're making a commercial release with it, then pay up to disable it. Otherwise, what difference does it really make?

Mega Driven Raging in the Streets cleeg's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Orion View Post
    it's not working like that, because, to be able to draw something on screen you need a huge code base, which include complex assembly language too, so people wouldn't learn from this
    also, that would make my tool open source, and I would need to include the full compiler/ sdk for each platform, which is impossible
    I find my lack of knowledge on the subject disturbing! Thanks for the explanation .

16-bits is all he needs Master of Shinobi matteus's Avatar

I'm interested to see how this plays out. I'm not sure the target market is there but I wish you the very best of luck with it! I'd advise you really pump that PR machine. I've posted it and tweeted in a few places. Fingers crossed for you!

Outrunner

best of luck from a happy Escape 2042 MD buyer
    Lists of MD games: officially licensed (~925) @ cartridge size milestones @ Top 5 @ Top 250 (controversial) @ Sonic hacks @ best title screens @ Arcade ports (150)

Thread Information