Quantcast

Page 1 of 7 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Not sure if not having Capcom on Genesis was that major of a loss?

Banned by Administrators

Default Not sure if not having Capcom on Genesis was that major of a loss?

GENESIS; (12 total games, @ 7 High-Resolution)

Forgotten Worlds (Sega) - 4 Megs, Hi-Res
    Ghouls N' Ghosts (Sega) - 5 Megs, Hi-Res

Strider (Sega) - 8 Megs, Hi-Res

Mercs (Sega) - 8 Megs, Hi-Res

Chiki Chiki Boys (Sega) - 8 Megs, Hi-Res
    Street Fighter II - 24 Megs

Bonkers (Sega) - 8 Megs, Hi-Res
    Megaman - Wily Wars - 16 Megs
    Mickey Mouse - Great Circus Mystery - 16 Megs
    Punisher, The (Sculptured Software) - 16 Megs, Hi-Res
    Saturday Night Slam Masters - 32 Megs
    Super Street Fighter II - 40 Megs

SEGA CD

Final Fight CD (A-Wave)

SNES (33 total games, @ 13 Hi-Bank carts)

Final Fight - 8 Megs

Super Ghouls N' Ghosts - 8 Megs
    U.N. Squadron - 8 Megs

Magic Sword - 8 Megs
    Magical Quest Starring Mickey Mouse, The - 8 Megs
    Street Fighter II - 16 Megs
    Super Buster Bros. - 4 Megs

Aladdin - 10 Megs
    Breath of Fire - 12 Megs
    Final Fight 2 - 10 Megs
    Goof Troop - 4 Megs
    Mega Man X - 12 Megs
    Street Fighter II Turbo - 20 Megs, Hi-Bank

Bonkers - 8 Megs
    Breath of Fire II - 24 Megs, Hi-Bank
    Demons Crest - 16 Megs
    King of Dragon (Prism Kikaku) - 16 Megs, Hi-Bank
    Knights of the Round - 12 Megs
    Mega Man Soccer (Sun L) - 10 Megs
    Mega Man X2 - 16 Megs
    Mickey & Minnie - The Great Circus Mystery - 12 Megs, Hi-Bank
    Saturday Night Slam Masters - 24 Megs, Hi-Bank
    Super Street Fighter II - 32 Megs, Hi-Bank
    X-Men - Mutant Apocalypse - 16 Megs, Hi-Bank

Captain Commando - 16 Megs, Hi-Bank
    Final Fight 3 - 24 Megs, HiBank
    Mega Man 7 - 16 Megs, HiBank
    Mega Man X3 - 16 Megs
    Mickey to Donald - Magical Adventure 3 - 16 Megs, Hi-Bank
    Tenchi wo Kurau - Sangokushi Gunyuuden - 12 Megs

Marvel Super Heroes - War of Gems - 16 Megs, Hi-Bank
    Street Fighter Alpha 2 - 32 Megs

Rockman & Forte - 32 Megs, Hi-Bank

Last time I was on a 16-Bit binge, I was just briefly testing through all the Capcom efforts on the SNES to see what games I should focus on first. And I was surprised by how many games seemed pretty not worth it;
    - All Disney games seemed cookie cuter designed with infants in mind (made it np to snow boss in both version of 2nd Mickey game. Beat Aladdin as a kid during a rental, and briefly played it again to refresh memory)
    - So far I'm not impressed by the two Marvel games. (But being a comic book fan, I'll definitely put more effort in these two games regardless. I remember renting X-Men as a kid once, and never felt like playing it at all. Nor the urge to ever rent it again. Mostly because X-Men 1 on Genesis raised the standard so high. Also first time I noticed the "Just slap some giant sprites together" substance over style Capcom nonsense)
    - all beat 'em ups save for the only one outsourced (King of Dragoons) have some pretty serious flaws (one being substance over style, which lead to 3 enemy limit + it encouraged other companies to do the same on the SNES because big Arcade style sprites sold back then).
    - I beat BoF1 and really enjoyed it very much. Part 2 I stopped near the end (shortly after talking to that big buff tiger character in that bar or whatever) due to getting sick of repetitive forced grinding to even stand any chance. Which shouldn't of been as bad if the game didn't rely so much on finding those GF summon type things, of which I missed most of somehow. Man, u don't make things vital to game so crazy well hidden & with ability to progress past, in an RPG with crazy high random battle rate. I was also playing fan re-translation and it sucked so much (felt like modern day character talking vibe, complete with pop culture reference and/or lingo. Totally killed the old fantasy roleplay), I wished I'd of played original Capcom butchered translation instead. So stop praising the re-translation. Also magic of the first game wasn't present at all.

So really, so far only UN Squadron, 2 Ghouls N Ghosts, 4 Mega Man, BoF1, King of Dragon, and Magic Sword seem like the only exclusive SNES Capcom games worth playing to me at the moment. Why I'm just tossing this out there to see what those with more experience in these games have to say? Since I'm no expert on this matter yet with so little playtime & so many games.

Capcom may of been king of the Arcade, but I was so surprised by what seems like way too many mediocre console games & ports they've put out during this era.
    Last edited by Thief; 03-29-2016 at 11:13 AM.

Nameless One

I really hate Super Ghouls N' Ghosts, it's so slooooowww...

Banned by Administrators

^ There's a release that removes all slowdown you could try.

Knights of the Round is the best arcade port made by Capcom and the only arcade port that does lack to the genesis library.
    The cancelled Magical Quest port also
    VISUAL SHOCK!
    SPEED SHOCK!
    SOUND SHOCK!
    NOW IS TIME TO THE 68000 HEART ON FIRE!

Shadow of the Beast II - Enhanced Colors:
    http://www.romhacking.net/hacks/2275/

Sunset Riders - Enhanced Colors:
    http://www.romhacking.net/hacks/2287/

Turrican - Fixed:
    http://www.romhacking.net/hacks/2535/

WCPO Agent

Quote Originally Posted by Thief View Post
    ^ There's a release that removes all slowdown you could try.
    Link please !

Banned by Administrators

^ Capcom Classic Collection Volume 1 for Saturn, PS1, PSP, X-Box, PS2, and so on.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Capcom...ics_Collection

And here's a link mentioning removed slowdown on Reddit;

https://www.reddit.com/r/emulation/c...hosts_to_play/

Banned by Administrators

Quote Originally Posted by LinkueiBR View Post
    Knights of the Round is the best arcade port made by Capcom and the only arcade port that does lack to the genesis library.
    The cancelled Magical Quest port also
    Yes, I so far agree it is the best beat 'em up Arcade port by Capcom (maybe overall port for 16-Bit too like you say). And a really great beat 'em up. But the 3 enemy limit really gets to me sometimes. Still the most enjoyable beat 'em up ported by Capcom for SNES. But the other Capcom beat 'em up that was ported by someone else, King of Dragon (by Prism Kikaku), seems better to me so far with the playtime I've put into them both so far (and the fact that it can toss double the enemies at once at you). So yeah, I have you ask how you think these two SNES beat 'em ups compare?

PS - here's a great must see site for Knights of the Round fans that I found in the past. Compares both versions too; http://sebastianmihai.com/main.php?t...n-depth-review

Death Bringer Raging in the Streets Black_Tiger's Avatar

You've listed a bunch of games that Capcom did not develop or publish for Genesis. If you're saying that Capcom titles in general weren't a loss, that includes all CPS1, CPS2 and misc games during the Genesis' lifespan or potential lifespan in a theoretical scenario where it got better support from major companies like Capcom.

I would have loved to have Genesis and/or Sega-CD ports of Willow, 1941 CA, SSFIIX (ported in 320 mode), AD&D Tower of Doom, Aliens vs Predator, X-Men COTA, Night Warriors, SFZ2, etc. Even Son Son II with parallax and FM sound would be cool.
    Quote Originally Posted by year2kill06
    everyone knows nintendo is far way cooler than sega just face it nintendo has more better games and originals

Banned by Administrators

^ Yeah, that's why they have (Sega) in brackets. Ditto for other times where someone else did the port (ie. Kind of Dragon by Prism Kikaku). Did I miss any?

Yeah, I too would of loved to see if Capcom could of done better ports for the Genesis is focused on Genesis as primary port (instead of the blatant lame SNES code/graphics ports we got). Just to see how much better the quality would of been? But as is, they did such a terrible job porting their Arcade games to the more complex SNES. Heck, they barely even compress their games going by that SF2 better Arcade fan Genesis port fix thread. Seems like they're totally unskilled and just increase the cart size & jack up cart prices to make up for their incompetence? (Would like more clarification if someone can provide it)

As is, would love to say we got lucky with superior Sega ports of Capcom games. Then again, Sega could of made original IP or sequels to their own IPs instead.

Angry Liberal Arts Major Hero of Algol Iron Lizard's Avatar

The major loss wasn't the lack of quality titles that Capcom blessed us with but the BS exclusive deal with Nintendo for SFII. That in my head is when Nintendo finally got one over Sega. Anyone around them remembers how huge that game was, with lines coming out the doors of freaking 7-Elevens to play it. It was nuts. For most kids it wasn't Mario or Sonic, it was who had SFII which was only Nintendo. It took Capcom almost a year to release the Sega version which was already to little to late.

Banned by Administrators

^ Yeah I know. Street Fighter II was my first SNES game I bought. But I only witnessed the huge impression that game had on me personally. Played it first at a friend's cousin house (basically my guy that had everything), and I was blown away. Never seen anything like it. It became my fave game on the spot. I still remember that Capcom commercial with that crazy cool music, Blanka roar pose and dinosaur growl ending;

Also this one for Ghouls N' Ghosts;

But in retrospec to me now SFII feels more like a fad. Mostly because I never had anyone else interested to push myself against, and single player only lasts so long. Come age of the internet and discovery of MAME online, I instantly opted try what MK1 & 2 felt like with skilled players over the world was like instead. Got very addicted to that competition and stuck around enough to get pretty good at it. Really miss that scene and forum...
    Last edited by Thief; 03-21-2016 at 06:15 PM.

Angry Liberal Arts Major Hero of Algol Iron Lizard's Avatar

^ Yeah I know. Street Fighter II was my first SNES game I bought. But I only witnessed the huge impression that game had on me personally. Played it first at a friend's cousin house (basically my guy that had everything), and I was blown away. Never seen anything like it. It became my fave game on the spot. I still remember that Capcom commercial with that crazy cool music, Blanka roar pose and dinosaur growl ending;

Also this one for Ghouls N' Ghosts;

But in retrospec to me now SFII feels more like a fad. Mostly because I never had anyone else interested to push myself against, and single player only lasts so long. Come age of the internet and discovery of MAME online, I instantly opted try what MK1 & 2 felt like with skilled players over the world was like instead. Got very addicted to that competition and stuck around enough to get pretty good at it. Really miss that scene and forum...
    Yeah I think it went past fad but it did sell a crap load SNES's. Used to play the crap out of that back in the day at my buddies house. None the less, and it's just my opinion, but the glut of fighters was one of reasons that 3D took off so well. It was like all other games just vanished, or least no one payed any attention to.

WCPO Agent

SFII a fad ? Come on, it's one of the most influential game of all time... There are less differences in gameplay between modern vs fighters and SFII than there were between SFII and its predecessors.

WCPO Agent

^ Capcom Classic Collection Volume 1 for Saturn, PS1, PSP, X-Box, PS2, and so on.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Capcom...ics_Collection

And here's a link mentioning removed slowdown on Reddit;

https://www.reddit.com/r/emulation/c...hosts_to_play/
    Thanks, I'll try the PS1 version.

It won't change the fact that the impossibility to attack up and down is a real miss though. But the game has its charm

Banned by Administrators

Quote Originally Posted by tryphon View Post
    SFII a fad ? Come on, it's one of the most influential game of all time... There are less differences in gameplay between modern vs fighters and SFII than there were between SFII and its predecessors.
    It's more of a personal opinion due to not ever playing it at a high competitive level. Tried to get my brother into the original SFII. Forced him to play 50 matches of Ken and Ryu on Ken stage. It was fun. But despite both of us having fun that one time. He never wanted to play SFII ever again. I even bought two joysticks for the occasion. Sigh. Was actually thinking about this earlier today that I should of bought a game instead of a second joystick.

That and I usually play retro games by myself. And if I'm going to be playing more versus fighters VS CPU, might as well move on to other fighter I've yet to try (there's hundreds of them). Like the SNK fighters. Or the SFII sequels like Alpha series and Capcom versus series. Or something else I can still play online with others over XBLA/PSN. My SFII days are mostly behind me outside of some nostalgia on the good ol SNES n' Genesis.

Not saying the game sucks. But there is no denying the grip it had on everybody is not around anymore. So in that way I'm still right it was a fad, as fighters aren't near as popular as when SFII was king of the videogame world. ... In retrospect, I kind of regret that it's hypnotic spell killed the shmups & belt scrollers, among many other type of games, in the Arcades. But don't let me bring you down. Not saying it's a bad game.

Thread Information