Quantcast

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Mini Megadrive HDMI 720p scheduled to be released in September

Hedgehog-in-Training Hedgehog-in-TrainingRoad Rasher avlon's Avatar

Default Mini Megadrive HDMI 720p scheduled to be released in September

Sadly, it's from ATGAMES, but supposedly they are going to be using a new emulator. There doesn't seem to be a whole lot of information on this, and it seems that what is out there is either in French or another language.

Per Seganerds:

"AtGames will release a new Genesis, called the Mini Megadrive, that could actually be that contender, and itís coming later this year. The new system is designed to look like a Model 1 Genesis and will come with 85 pre-installed games, 2.4G wireless controllers, a cartridge slot and an HDMI out that will output video at 720p. Itís now available to pre-order for a $10 limited-time discount at 79.99 Euros and is scheduled to begin shipping on Sept. 15."

http://www.seganerds.com/2017/04/05/...-the-nes-mini/

Discussion on Atariage

https://atariage.com/forums/topic/25...-thread/page-1

Mini Megadrive page

https://www.reference-gaming.com/fic...mini-megadrive

Discuss.

State Laced Master of Shinobi ComradeOj's Avatar

The new wireless controllers are interesting. Just the fact that they aren't that crappy IR type that you have to point. HDMI is a nice addition too. Composite looks so craptastic.

Hopefully the new emulator is a lot better. Especially in the sound department. I did some testing on my old ATGames genesis, and the emulation had a lot of issues. It seems to have a good selection if built in games, but I wish they weren't misleading like last time, with half being simple homebrew stuff.

I'm not going to end up buying one, since I have no need. I really hope they do a better job with this one though. The mention of a new emulator has me at least somewhat optimistic.
    Modded consoles:
    Master System (v7040) with s-video & direct AV out
    Model 1 with 10mhz overclock & halt switches
    Model 1 with 10mhz 68010
    Model 2 VA2.3 with unfiltered Mega Amp, & s-video
    Model 3 VA1 with compatibility fixes & s-video
    32X with s-video
    Visit my web site at www.mode5.net
    Or my collection of homebrew Genesis games, programs, and music on SEGA-16!

I'm curious to see if they'll get it right this time. I also have no need, but try to keep optimistic on things regarding the scene.

Sports Talker

If AtGames is indeed using a new emulator for their Genesis/Mega Drive release this time and it's actually alot better than the old emu, that'd be a good justification for getting one of these in my book, for now all I can do is wait until I see some YT reviews and analysis videos from European fans when this thing is released later on this year before I'd have any clue about what AtGames is putting out this time, who knows maybe they'll surprise everyone this time, it'd be a nice change for once at the very least.

SEGA Master Nameless One madperry's Avatar

Does there current version use emulation? I dont think so. Thought they were all SOC's. Including the handheld. The question really is IF the new system will be emulation(like the nes classic), or another system on a chip with bad sound and spotty compatibility. Its puzzling to me. Has a cartridge slot but does have HDMI. My guess is emulation this time, which would get the audio and compatibility right.

Is there anything that makes it difficult to have legal emulation + cartridges? Doesn't emulator-based consoles with cartridge slot illegally dump the ROMs?
    -Meu blog sobre Mega Drive/Genesis.
    - no youtube.

SEGA Master Nameless One madperry's Avatar

Retron 5 LEGALLY dumps the roms to memory from the actual cartridges, then emulates them. Memory is wiped every time power is turned off

Raging in the Streets

Quote Originally Posted by madperry View Post
    Does there current version use emulation? I dont think so..
    Yeah, the firecore mini console things use emulation. Bad emulation at that.

Will the public go bat shit crazy over these like the NES minis?
    Quote Originally Posted by Zoltor View Post
    Japan on the other hand is in real danger, if Japanese men don't start liking to play with their woman, more then them selves, experts calculated the Japanese will be extinct within 300 years.

Sports Talker

Quote Originally Posted by Da_Shocker View Post
    If they're actually a good quality product and sound like a proper Genesis/Mega Drive is supposed to for once people actually might go bat shit crazy for them like they are for the NES mini (and Nintendo is really shooting themselves in the groin by discontinuing the NES mini this soon). it's all going to boil down to whether AtGames got their crap together and is putting out an improved product instead of the same crap or if it's going to be business as usual like it has been.

Framemeister Expert Hedgehog-in-TrainingRoad Rasher Tower of Power's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Da_Shocker View Post
    Doubtful, most people will probably write it off as another crappy AtGames clone, even if it is good. Plus, Sega doesn't have the same sort of large, rabid, blind fan base that Nintendo has. Finally, if AtGames makes them, there will be no stock shortages.

^Agreed with all points. I really do hope that they get the emulation right, and then produce a really sleek portable version of that that can play actual carts.

Wildside Expert

While it could be a very popular product if done right, I don't think the hype will be anywhere near that of the NES Classic. The main reason is that the NES Classic was the first time there was a plug & play Nintendo product, whereas Genesis Flashbacks have been around for years. Plus, Nintendo got nearly everything right quality-wise (except the ridiculously short controller cords), while the Genesis Flashback has been stuck with bad emulation and composite video for years. The WOW factor just won't be there for the Genesis simply because it's now in HD. Some good marketing could certainly help, though.

I almost think it would be better to drop the flash games and only market the 45+ actual Genesis games. Use the HD version to completely cut ties with past products and try to start anew. I just don't see that happening though. Sega simply doesn't show the interest in this product that Nintendo showed in the NES Classic which is why they just license it to ATGames and let them produce it every year. I would think that the hype the NES created would make Sega take notice and maybe do it themselves. The Sega of old did show a glimmer of hope last year with the release of the 3DS Sega Classics Collection, but sadly they seem to have little interest in reviving the Genesis, their biggest success.
    Last edited by redsox2013; 04-27-2017 at 12:26 AM.

Let's not forget the fact the NES minis had the massive hype of being Nintendo. Kids nowadays think Nintendo is the only thing that existed in the past (・~・)

Quote Originally Posted by madperry View Post
    Retron 5 LEGALLY dumps the roms to memory from the actual cartridges, then emulates them. Memory is wiped every time power is turned off
    I was talking about libretro violations.
    -Meu blog sobre Mega Drive/Genesis.
    - no youtube.

Thread Information