Quantcast

Page 28 of 28 FirstFirst ... 182425262728

Thread: Indiana Jones Greatest Adventures prototype sold!

Given the Star Wars releases, this is clearly something that Limited Run Games should take up. The owner of the prototype will NEVER get a release done.

Raging in the Streets xelement5x's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Greg2600 View Post
    Given the Star Wars releases, this is clearly something that Limited Run Games should take up. The owner of the prototype will NEVER get a release done.
    Actually this is a really good point. LRG already at least has an in with the Lucas properties.
    Quote Originally Posted by StarMist View Post
    A spine card is the hymen of a new game assuring its first owner that he is truly her one and only, and of a used game assuring its new owner that whilst she has been played with in the past that play has never been too careless or thorough.

Yeah well they probably have no idea the prototype even exists.

There's almost no chance of anyone ever playing this game. If it had just been dumped immediately then there would probably have been no consequences, but if anyone tries to dump it now they'll probably have Disnep's lawyers kicking their door down. I had previously mentioned that I would be happy to buy the prototype and dump it, but there's no way I want the risk now so my offer is rescinded.

This might not be the best thread to mention this, but the current state of the Indiana Jones proto is the reason I dumped Putty Squad so quickly. Even at the time I had a suspicion that attempts to get a legitimate release would lead to a legal deadlock.

BTW, if anyone is really determined to play Indiana Jones, the SNES version is easily available.

If Mad Moham was the guy that get the prototype back in the day, today we would have a good Indy game in the Mega Drive/Genesis catalog...
    VISUAL SHOCK!
    SPEED SHOCK!
    SOUND SHOCK!
    NOW IS TIME TO THE 68000 HEART ON FIRE!

Shadow of the Beast II - Enhanced Colors:
    http://www.romhacking.net/hacks/2275/

Sunset Riders - Enhanced Colors:
    http://www.romhacking.net/hacks/2287/

Turrican - Fixed:
    http://www.romhacking.net/hacks/2535/

Quote Originally Posted by Mad Moham View Post
    There's almost no chance of anyone ever playing this game. If it had just been dumped immediately then there would probably have been no consequences, but if anyone tries to dump it now they'll probably have Disnep's lawyers kicking their door down. I had previously mentioned that I would be happy to buy the prototype and dump it, but there's no way I want the risk now so my offer is rescinded.

This might not be the best thread to mention this, but the current state of the Indiana Jones proto is the reason I dumped Putty Squad so quickly. Even at the time I had a suspicion that attempts to get a legitimate release would lead to a legal deadlock.

BTW, if anyone is really determined to play Indiana Jones, the SNES version is easily available.
    I don't agree with that. Disney IP'd games get dumped all the time, they don't sue. The issue here is that the owner wished to make MONEY off the prototype, for which I said long ago, Disney was never going to go along with. Limited Run could do it, as they are an established and verified game publisher.

Mega Driver Hedgehog-in-TrainingWCPO Agent Gryson's Avatar

I don't agree with that. Disney IP'd games get dumped all the time, they don't sue. The issue here is that the owner wished to make MONEY off the prototype, for which I said long ago, Disney was never going to go along with. Limited Run could do it, as they are an established and verified game publisher.
    I think Mad Moham should have said Factor 5 rather than Disney. An original member of Factor 5 claimed ownership of the game and said not to release it. At that point, I would be wary of a lawsuit from the Factor 5 person.

For those of you new to the thread, here is my rundown of the situation, but correct me if I missed something:

• BeaglePuss and MrMark purchase the prototype at auction with the intention of selling unlicensed reproductions for profit
    • Piko wants to acquire it with the intention of licensing it for an official release
    • Retrospiel had already been in contact with someone from Factor 5 about doing an official release
    • Nobody involved wants the ROM made publicly available because money
    • BeaglePuss/MrMark sell the prototype to Retrospiel
    • Retrospiel/Factor 5 are sitting on it, still with the hopes of licensing the property from Disney for an official release

Ironic situation given the whole "it belongs in a museum" nature of Indiana Jones.
    Last edited by Gryson; 08-28-2019 at 04:33 PM.

So wait, somebody from Factor 5 was actually involved in this all along? OK, suddenly the idea of trying to acquire the license from Disney seems more likely to work… (although probably some bean counter there keeps deciding it's not worth the effort)

And this was Retrospiel's last post in the thread, over two years ago:

Quote Originally Posted by retrospiel View Post
    The project is not dead, in fact it is closer to realization than ever before. Ideally I would like some experience with releasing a game before tackling this so there will be at least one other release before this.
    I guess the fact that Limited Run Games is going to publish old Star Wars games indicates that there's a chance that someone, somewhere can green light the release of this one.

Quote Originally Posted by Gryson View Post
    [*]BeaglePuss/MrMark sell the ROM to Retrospiel
    *Sell the prototype to Retrospiel.

Quote Originally Posted by Gryson View Post
    I guess the fact that Limited Run Games is going to publish old Star Wars games indicates that there's a chance that someone, somewhere can green light the release of this one.
    Hory sheet! Please Disney/Retrospiel/Limited Run Do it!!!
    VISUAL SHOCK!
    SPEED SHOCK!
    SOUND SHOCK!
    NOW IS TIME TO THE 68000 HEART ON FIRE!

Shadow of the Beast II - Enhanced Colors:
    http://www.romhacking.net/hacks/2275/

Sunset Riders - Enhanced Colors:
    http://www.romhacking.net/hacks/2287/

Turrican - Fixed:
    http://www.romhacking.net/hacks/2535/

Quote Originally Posted by LinkueiBR View Post
    *Sell the prototype to Retrospiel.
    Oops. Fixed.

Wow, great summary/recap Gryson, I totally forgot about most of that! The thing with Limited Run and Disney is that the LucasArts games are wholly owned by the Mouse Co. now so there's little work to be done in that fashion. I'm not sure about this proto although one would assume the rights are fully held by Lucas/Disney and Factor5 has no say in it.

Wow, great summary/recap Gryson, I totally forgot about most of that! The thing with Limited Run and Disney is that the LucasArts games are wholly owned by the Mouse Co. now so there's little work to be done in that fashion. I'm not sure about this proto although one would assume the rights are fully held by Lucas/Disney and Factor5 has no say in it.
    It depends on the original contract.

If Factor 5 licensed the property from LucasArts, they would retain the rights to the game. However, the original contract has almost certainly expired, so Factor 5 would have to re-license the property from Disney. But Factor 5 (or whoever the IP owner is now) would retain the rights to the game assets.

The other more likely possibility is that LucasArts contracted out the work to Factor 5, in which case LucasArts (now Disney) would probably retain the rights.

Thread Information