Quantcast

Page 4 of 26 FirstFirst 1234567814 ... LastLast
Results 46 to 60 of 380

Thread: Indiana Jones Greatest Adventures prototype sold!

  1. #46
    Wildside Expert MrMark0673's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2010
    Posts
    211
    Rep Power
    11

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by JumpingRyle View Post
    Yes, I am aware that you purchased prototypes, held them hostage until you sold a certain number of unauthorized reproductions, and then publicly released them with a nice bit of cash in your pocket. Are you aware of the countless numbers of people in this community that have donated immense time and money to things such as translating games, scanning covers and manuals, dumping roms, conducting interviews, and so on and have NEVER seen a single cent in profit?

    Get off your high horse for a second, please. We all know you bought this prototype with the intention of selling reproductions. It is convenient that you respect the IP owner's wishes in this case, since not doing so means you will be sued.
    Point to one sale of:

    Dragons lair
    Swamp Thing
    Time Cop

    Lost plenty of money on those. All released for free, none reproduced, prototype sold later at a loss.

    How about Monster Party for the Famicom?

    Bought on 2/27/14 for $3,510.46
    Never reproduced a single copy, released the ROM for free
    Sold on 2/6/15 for $420.19

    More than $3k given away so the community could play the game. Might want to do some more digging on your facts...

  2. #47
    Outrunner Wesker's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2006
    Posts
    596
    Rep Power
    25

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by JumpingRyle View Post
    I don't mean to disrespect any of the parties involved, but the priority here should be to get the game dumped and on the internet so that it is preserved. Any intentions of selling it are just going to bring the attention of Disney and that's going to result in a C&D letter. The prototype will end up in a state of limbo. It would have been better if the owner had just dumped it and anonymously uploaded it.
    If it's the Factor 5 guys who are dealing directly with Disney for a legit release what we are talking about, there's a chance the game will eventually be released if things are done under the correct legal terms. And if this is the only way we are going to end up getting the game, then we have to accept it. Of course we all prefer the "other way", but sometimes the companies which have the game property decide to get involved on what's going to happen with it and this can be something very dangerous for anyone doing what they don't want.

  3. #48
    Wildside Expert BeaglePuss's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Posts
    154
    Rep Power
    15

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by JumpingRyle View Post
    Yes, I am aware that you purchased prototypes, held them hostage until you sold a certain number of unauthorized reproductions, and then publicly released them with a nice bit of cash in your pocket. Are you aware of the countless numbers of people in this community that have donated immense time and money to things such as translating games, scanning covers and manuals, dumping roms, conducting interviews, and so on and have NEVER seen a single cent in profit?

    Get off your high horse for a second, please. We all know you bought this prototype with the intention of selling reproductions. It is convenient that you respect the IP owner's wishes in this case, since not doing so means you will be sued.
    I just released Monster Party for the Famicom for free. I spent nearly $3,300 on it, and released it without any sort of compensation.

    While I fully understand that I am no saint, I missed the part where you've add anything of note to the community.

  4. #49
    Outrunner GelmiR's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Posts
    660
    Rep Power
    21

    Default

    This game looks great. It's really sad that we only got those shitty Last Crusade and Young Indy games. Hope we'll get to play this some day.

  5. #50
    Outrunner JumpingRyle's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2014
    Posts
    737
    Rep Power
    29

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by MrMark0673 View Post
    Point to one sale of:

    Dragons lair
    Swamp Thing
    Time Cop

    Lost plenty of money on those. All released for free, none reproduced, prototype sold later at a loss.

    How about Monster Party for the Famicom?

    Bought on 2/27/14 for $3,510.46
    Never reproduced a single copy, released the ROM for free
    Sold on 2/6/15 for $420.19

    More than $3k given away so the community could play the game. Might want to do some more digging on your facts...
    So you're justifying making reproductions of prototypes because a few times you were unable to do so?

    Bill's Tomato Game: Bought for $1800, 100 repros sold at $75 each for a total of $7500. $5700 profit minus manufacturing costs. Not bad! I love how generous you guys are: "After a full sell out, Matt and I will be releasing the ORIGINAL UNALTERED ROM for FREE for everyone to download and enjoy!"

    Edit (because this is fun): Targa: 150 x $85 = $12,750
    Beastball: 40 x $45 = $1800
    Chuck Yeager's Fighter Combat: 150 x $85 = $12,750

    So over $30,000 minus expenses! Impressive.

    Quote Originally Posted by BeaglePuss View Post
    While I fully understand that I am no saint, I missed the part where you've add anything of note to the community.
    What is this, a dick measuring contest? I would reply with a list of all of the things I've contributed, but I can't get over the fact that you are justifying what you do with that logic.

    Edit: I should be clear: I don't really care how you make some money, but please don't be all high and mighty about how much you contribute when you're obviously just doing it for profit.
    Last edited by JumpingRyle; 05-18-2015 at 02:47 PM.

  6. #51
    Spectral Savant WCPO Agent negative chill's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Location
    Mobile, Alabama
    Age
    27
    Posts
    909
    Rep Power
    20

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by BeaglePuss View Post
    While I fully understand that I am no saint, I missed the part where you've add anything of note to the community.
    I appreciate what you contribute to the community by way of prototypes, but if you really think someone's "worth" can only be measured by monetary value, then you seriously need to take a long, hard look at your life

    “The Internet is the first thing that humanity has built that humanity doesn’t understand, the largest experiment in anarchy that we have ever had.”—Eric Schmidt

  7. #52
    Wildside Expert BeaglePuss's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Posts
    154
    Rep Power
    15

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by negative chill View Post
    I appreciate what you contribute to the community by way of prototypes, but if you really think someone's "worth" can only be measured by monetary value, then you seriously need to take a long, hard look at your life
    I meant contributions such as rom dumps and the like.

    And really, if we're talking about prioritizing and taking looks at our life, I would think 20+ year old video games should be rather low on that list.

    I've made plenty of money on games (namely prototypes, but others as well), and I've also made a lot of games that would have otherwise been lost playable. That said, I'm a school teacher and family man. Video games are a wonderful hobby of mine, but aren't even a footnote in my life story.

  8. #53
    Road Rasher Raistlin's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Location
    Germany
    Posts
    447
    Rep Power
    15

    Default

    What goes wrong in this thread? We have wonderful things going to happen here.
    1. Indiana Jones Greatest Adventure showed up.
    2. Factor 5 will officially release it after 21 years.
    3. We have Mark and Matt who did so very much for the community and if everything will go wrong with Indy I believe they will have a plan B.

    But all I can read here are hostilities against Mark and Matt who bought the prototype. Remember they aren't forced to realease ANYTHING AT ALL. But they did so many times before. And they will do so in the future (Putty Squad is my number 1 wish but you know that). What I want to say is: Guys show some respect towards the Nolans be grateful and wait what wonderful things will going to happen.

  9. #54
    Wildside Expert Doppelgamer's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2013
    Posts
    214
    Rep Power
    7

    Default

    Maybe I should learn to program, research how to develop for the Genesis/Mega Drive, carefully port the SNES game to Mega Drive/Genesis and release my port to the world. Let's see who can get there first, Mr. Money Bags!*

    *Note jocularity

  10. #55
    WCPO Agent KillerBean2's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Location
    Denmark
    Age
    35
    Posts
    775
    Rep Power
    22

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by JumpingRyle View Post
    So over $30,000 minus expenses! Impressive.
    Once you subtract the manufacturing costs and labour, I think you'll see that the final number is far from impressive.

    I really don't see a problem in any of this.

    Bare Knuckle III rules! Also, the music in this game is freakin awesome.

  11. #56
    Outrunner JumpingRyle's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2014
    Posts
    737
    Rep Power
    29

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by KillerBean2 View Post
    Once you subtract the manufacturing costs and labour, I think you'll see that the final number is far from impressive.
    Uh, OK? Let's calculate it for Bill's Tomato Game:

    Universal Game Case: $0.69
    New PCB: $3
    Vinyl label: $0.50
    Cover: $0.50
    Cartridge: About $3 (don't know what they used)
    EPROM: $1.36
    Shipping: $3
    Cover design: Free!
    Licensing/Royalties: Free!

    Total: $12.05

    Profit: $62.95 per game.

    $6295 might not be impressive for you, but I sure wouldn't mind having it

    Raistlin: Sorry for derailing the thread. I was frustrated that this prototype might never be released because people are fighting over who gets to sell it.

    Edit: I'm not against repros in any way. I'm glad that people make them! This is just an unfortunate circumstance and is a big disappointment for anybody who's been waiting for this game to surface. I just wish it had been dumped as soon as possible.
    Last edited by JumpingRyle; 05-18-2015 at 07:12 PM.

  12. #57
    Outrunner Greg2600's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Posts
    521
    Rep Power
    14

    Default

    Wow, I was so excited after reading that Matt/Mark were purchasing the game, given their unmatched generosity to the community in these matters. However, that quickly got zapped when reading that Factor 5 stuff. They will NEVER get permission from Disney/Lucas, no chance on Earth. What a damn shame. I'm not surprised that they kept the game all these years as well.

  13. #58
    Wildside Expert MrMark0673's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2010
    Posts
    211
    Rep Power
    11

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by JumpingRyle View Post
    Uh, OK? Let's calculate it for Bill's Tomato Game:

    Universal Game Case: $0.69
    New PCB: $3
    Vinyl label: $0.50
    Cover: $0.50
    Cartridge: About $3 (don't know what they used)
    EPROM: $1.36
    Shipping: $3
    Cover design: Free!
    Licensing/Royalties: Free!

    Total: $12.05

    Profit: $62.95 per game.

    $6295 might not be impressive for you, but I sure wouldn't mind having it

    Raistlin: Sorry for derailing the thread. I was frustrated that this prototype might never be released because people are fighting over who gets to sell it.

    Edit: I'm not against repros in any way. I'm glad that people make them! This is just an unfortunate circumstance and is a big disappointment for anybody who's been waiting for this game to surface. I just wish it had been dumped as soon as possible.
    No paypal fees? $3 shipping? UGC for $.69 shipped? That's cute. You lowballed all your numbers of course, just thought those 3 were great.

    I pay capitals gains tax of about 30%, and claim everything I sell. Before you accuse me of doing otherwise, I sold a Nintendo World Championship for $17,500 last year. If I didn't claim (and again, I always do) my paypal, I'd be locked up somewhere. I sold something like $10k in protos on Ebay in just the last 60 days.

    We don't get rich making repros, otherwise everyone would do it. Hell, I have a ton of unreleased protos. Sell any one of them for $3k shipped. You could make a fortune reproducing it, or even better, be the ROM dumping hero you always wanted to be.

    The reproductions help off set the cost of getting the ROM out to the masses. When we can, we release ROMs without doing reproduction runs. Aside from the ROMs we already listed, we've released dozens of protos. You can act like it's because we couldn't reproduce them, but that's obviously not true. Time Cop, Dragon's Lair, and especially Monster Party would have sold out instantly. Sometimes it's just easier eating the price to get the ROM out instead of doing months of work to do a reproduction run.

  14. #59
    Outrunner JumpingRyle's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2014
    Posts
    737
    Rep Power
    29

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by MrMark0673 View Post
    No paypal fees? $3 shipping? UGC for $.69 shipped? That's cute. You lowballed all your numbers of course, just thought those 3 were great.

    I pay capitals gains tax of about 30%, and claim everything I sell. Before you accuse me of doing otherwise, I sold a Nintendo World Championship for $17,500 last year. If I didn't claim (and again, I always do) my paypal, I'd be locked up somewhere. I sold something like $10k in protos on Ebay in just the last 60 days.

    We don't get rich making repros, otherwise everyone would do it. Hell, I have a ton of unreleased protos. Sell any one of them for $3k shipped. You could make a fortune reproducing it, or even better, be the ROM dumping hero you always wanted to be.

    The reproductions help off set the cost of getting the ROM out to the masses. When we can, we release ROMs without doing reproduction runs. Aside from the ROMs we already listed, we've released dozens of protos. You can act like it's because we couldn't reproduce them, but that's obviously not true. Time Cop, Dragon's Lair, and especially Monster Party would have sold out instantly. Sometimes it's just easier eating the price to get the ROM out instead of doing months of work to do a reproduction run.
    Sorry, I forgot the shipping on the UGC. So what does that make it? $0.80-$0.90 per case according to the website I linked. And how much do you think it costs to ship first class with PayPal discount? Make it $5.50 if you want Priority. Small difference. And 2.9% + $.30 for PayPal.

    So that comes to about $58.77.

    I like how I "lowballed" the numbers. That's why I provided LINKS with PRICES

    But why are we talking about this? I don't care how much you make off of selling repros. The point is that you DO make profits.

    I'm seriously confused as to why you bought the Indiana Jones prototype, though. You didn't really think you would be able to repro it, did you? Well, I guess if you hadn't bought it it would have just gone to another prototype hoarder. Same difference. End result - no dump.

  15. #60
    Wildside Expert MrMark0673's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2010
    Posts
    211
    Rep Power
    11

    Default

    Buy it from me and save the day my man. Got Putty Squad too, $1,500 shipped for that one (offer good only for you) and it's yours.

    Talk is cheap, I've proven that I can get it done.

    Let me know and I'll get them all boxed up for you.

    You missed the 30% in taxes too hoss, changes your figures quite a bit.

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •