Quantcast

Thread: Sonic The Hedgehog (Master System)

Sonic Sonic The Hedgehog (Master System)

Sonic The Hedgehog's first adventure on the Master System was quite different than the on the Genesis. Developed by Yuzo Koshiro's studio Ancient (and featuring some great music), it's an excellent rendition that doesn't try to be more than its hardware will allow, and it's pretty much a new game. If you've already played Sonic to death but still haven't tried it on the Master System, you're missing out. Read our full review for more information.

Super Robot Raging in the Streets Obviously's Avatar

For a long time I dismissed this game as being a crappy 8-bit down-port until I really dug into it. It's definitely its own game with great music, colorful graphics and solid platforming. Ancient did a wonderful job making what could have easily been a half-assed effort into a great game in its own right.

Raging in the Streets A Black Falcon's Avatar

Yeah, this is a pretty good game. It's too bad that it's the only great Game Gear Sonic game, but the first one, at least, is pretty good.

One thing about the review, though. Does it really not mention that there are no rings in boss levels? Because while the game is good, this is its one flaw. Seriously, that if you get hit even once in any bossfight you've got to start the thing over is pretty annoying. That one level late in the game wehre you have to get through a whole normal level with no rings was pretty hard, too. Why did they think this was a good idea? It's not, at all! The game is beatable for sure, I did finish it, but having no rings in any bossfights and in one late-game stage is a very annoying form of artificial difficulty.
    Last edited by A Black Falcon; 06-12-2015 at 12:18 AM.

Jungle Zone for the win! One of the best Master System games and probably my favorite Sonic game.

Road Rasher

great game in it's own right, I must get a master system now after seeing this review

I would agree wth most of the above and so I think this was done really well as you would expect.I think having backgrounds helps too even the sparse ones are drawn well and are very effective.
    Last edited by Mr Nuts; 06-13-2015 at 09:59 AM.

I agree here too but have to go with a 7 to an 8 out of 10. I think they did a really good job here and didn't try to make it more than it could be but I found the replay value to be much less than the Genesis games so I don't rate it as high as those.
    Check out my review channel at GameFaqs here. Then feel free to leave feedback and comment here

I played the hell out of this one on my Game gear, I loved it!

Super Robot Raging in the Streets Obviously's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by vintagegamecrazy View Post
    I agree here too but have to go with a 7 to an 8 out of 10. I think they did a really good job here and didn't try to make it more than it could be but I found the replay value to be much less than the Genesis games so I don't rate it as high as those.
    I think the score is fine if you're taking it in context with the Master System library and not in context with the 16-bit Sonic series.

Road Rasher

Quote Originally Posted by Obviously View Post
    I think the score is fine if you're taking it in context with the Master System library and not in context with the 16-bit Sonic series.
    I think we are taking it in the context of both, this is the reason why later today I am downloading the freezesms emulator again after a long absence

Replaying this right now and I have to admit that while I really enjoy Green Hill, Bridge and especially the Jungle Zone, I don't much care for the 8 bit Labyrinth and Scrap Brain zones. I've reached the Sky Base zone but remember not being a fan of that zone the last time I played it. Will finish it tomorrow or so. Again, love the first zones but it seems Sonic 1 for Mega Drive is my #1 Sonic game after all

Road Rasher

Quote Originally Posted by GelmiR View Post
    Replaying this right now and I have to admit that while I really enjoy Green Hill, Bridge and especially the Jungle Zone, I don't much care for the 8 bit Labyrinth and Scrap Brain zones. I've reached the Sky Base zone but remember not being a fan of that zone the last time I played it. Will finish it tomorrow or so. Again, love the first zones but it seems Sonic 1 for Mega Drive is my #1 Sonic game after all
    been playing the MS version a lot this week and the 2 games are just about even I love them both, even although understandably I have found the MS sonic 1 to be harder

My first GG game. I enjoy it as much as I enjoy the original, especially because it's a whole new game in its own right. Brilliant in all aspects: well designed, colurful, with a balanced difficulty curve and awesome music by Yuzo Koshiro.

Road Rasher

Quote Originally Posted by A Black Falcon View Post
    Yeah, this is a pretty good game. It's too bad that it's the only great Game Gear Sonic game, but the first one, at least, is pretty good.

One thing about the review, though. Does it really not mention that there are no rings in boss levels? Because while the game is good, this is its one flaw. Seriously, that if you get hit even once in any bossfight you've got to start the thing over is pretty annoying. That one level late in the game wehre you have to get through a whole normal level with no rings was pretty hard, too. Why did they think this was a good idea? It's not, at all! The game is beatable for sure, I did finish it, but having no rings in any bossfights and in one late-game stage is a very annoying form of artificial difficulty.
    Nah the no rings in boss battles is good, theyre not hard to beat anyway.

Thread Information