Quantcast

Page 14 of 15 FirstFirst ... 4101112131415 LastLast

Thread: Mortal Kombat II: 32X vs SNES

Haha, that's maximum trolling mode!

Outrunner

The Gaming Gangsta Master of Shinobi profholt82's Avatar

^Hm, looks like someone really sucks at Mortal Kombat.

Now with 33% more @$$! Master of Shinobi Assman's Avatar

MK2 is pretty fucking ridiculous with the throwing, though (at least in the arcade). You pretty much have to stay outside of sweep-range at all times, and throw-blocking (back + block) doesn't work at all, as I recall.

Outrunner

Quote Originally Posted by Assman View Post
    MK2 is pretty fucking ridiculous with the throwing, though (at least in the arcade). You pretty much have to stay outside of sweep-range at all times, and throw-blocking (back + block) doesn't work at all, as I recall.
    In MK2 and UMK3 you can only do a throw against the first one or two fighters, anything after that will auto throw you when YOU try throwing THEM.

And the secret characters in MK2 can (and will) throw you from full screen away.

Master of Shinobi Mega Drive Bowlsey's Avatar

It goes without saying that the AI in MKII and MK3/UMK3 (but not MK1) is ludicrously cheap and annoying as hell at times. Less so in the home console ports maybe, but cheap as fuck in the original arcade games.

I don't understand how this ridiculously cheap AI was even considered a good idea. Of course every arcade game is a quarter muncher in one way or another, but such bullshit as in arcade MKII later stages only discourage from playing the game at all.

Master of Shinobi Mega Drive Bowlsey's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Orchid87 View Post
    I don't understand how this ridiculously cheap AI was even considered a good idea. Of course every arcade game is a quarter muncher in one way or another, but such bullshit as in arcade MKII later stages only discourage from playing the game at all.
    I think they hoped that people would be so determined to beat the game out of sheer rage and frustration that they'd just keep pumping money into the machine whilst keeping up a litany of constant profanities. They were right!

Do you have TP??? Raging in the Streets Cornholio857's Avatar

My experience is like this:
    MK2 (Arcade) - Cool, challenging couple of first fights. Then I get to Kitana or Mileena....what the hell? Throw, throw and throw some more. I have beaten the game but the difficulty spike when you get to a female fighter is crazy. Which leads to this......
    UMK3 (Arcade) - Like MK2, some easy to somewhat challenging first fights. Then Jade. She would kick my ass all the time. I have many memories of getting to Jade and the Waterfront arena them BOOM, Jade goes bat shit crazy and wins. I have beaten the game, I just figured out how to trick the AI like in MK2. LOL

And the 32X version of MK2 is great IMO. I just wish Probe added the arcade endings with the ending pictures like they did with the intro.

Hedgehog-in-Training Hedgehog-in-Training Amerika's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Mega Drive Bowlsey View Post
    It goes without saying that the AI in MKII and MK3/UMK3 (but not MK1) is ludicrously cheap and annoying as hell at times. Less so in the home console ports maybe, but cheap as fuck in the original arcade games.
    Yup. I remember getting the home version of MK2 on the SNES and you had to figure out cheap strategies with everyone to advance in the game but it was at least doable. I'd go to the arcade and it felt like it was impossible. At the time I simply thought it was the control scheme that was making me be more awful but these days I know better.

Systemwars vs Sega-16 Master of Shinobi gamegenie's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by TrekkiesUnite118 View Post
    Then there's Saturn UMK3 where Motaro has an AI bug where he goes batshit crazy and starts teleporting back and forth to opposite ends of the stage punching you, essentially playing ping pong with you as the ball...

I've had that happen to me on the Genesis MK3 at times.

You never know wtf the AI of Motaro would do at times. But you're 77% likely to get a win over him with jump kicks if you play the Novice battle plan.
    "Fires of purgatory, coalesce and incinerate my enemies."

Systemwars vs Sega-16 Master of Shinobi gamegenie's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Mega Drive Bowlsey View Post
    The Saturn could have handled a completely arcade perfect port of MKII couldn't it? I'm not talking about the port it got, I'm asking if it could have ran an arcade perfect port? Like as in perfect to the last detail, sound, music, voices...everything. I'm sure it could have.
    One thing I didn't think about at the time when PlayStation and Saturn launched to kill the Arcade market was that their biggest flaw was still their optical format. PlayStation/Saturn offered double the speed than SEGA CD but that did not help games that required faster read speeds.

No wonder true arcade perfect ports didn't arrive until XBOX, when hard drives in consoles started to become a norm.
    "Fires of purgatory, coalesce and incinerate my enemies."

Raging in the Streets bultje112's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by gamegenie View Post
    One thing I didn't think about at the time when PlayStation and Saturn launched to kill the Arcade market was that their biggest flaw was still their optical format. PlayStation/Saturn offered double the speed than SEGA CD but that did not help games that required faster read speeds.

No wonder true arcade perfect ports didn't arrive until XBOX, when hard drives in consoles started to become a norm.
    dreamcast already had countless arcade perfect games.

Raging in the Streets Team Andromeda's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by bultje112 View Post
    dreamcast already had countless arcade perfect games.
    So did the Saturn and PS.
    Panzer Dragoon Zwei is
    one of the best 3D shooting games available
    Presented for your pleasure

Raging in the Streets bultje112's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Team Andromeda View Post
    So did the Saturn and PS.
    yes but at least half weren't arcade perfecrt, while with dreamcast you'll be hard pressed to find a game not arcade perfect. including 3d.

Thread Information