Quantcast

Page 8 of 8 FirstFirst ... 45678

Thread: Mortal Kombat II: 32X vs SNES

Hedgehog-in-Training Hedgehog-in-TrainingSports Talker Team Saber Rider's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by OverDrone View Post
    The sound on those MK cabinets was pnenomenal.
    No wonder, have you seen the speakers in such a Cabinet?

End of line.. ESWAT Veteran gamevet's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by NeoVamp View Post
    Interesting to see how even with 32M they still couldn't be arsed to put back Johnny Cage's full win pose.
    My guess is that a lot of the memory was used for the sound samples like "Johnny Cage Wins" and "Fatility", which were not present on the Genesis version. I've heard that the "Sega" sound in the introduction for Sonic the Hedgehog took about 1Mb of memory space to produce.
    A Black Falcon: no, computer games and video games are NOT the same thing. Video games are on consoles, computer games are on PC. The two kinds of games are different, and have significantly different design styles, distribution methods, and game genre selections. Computer gaming and console (video) gaming are NOT the same thing."

Quote Originally Posted by gamevet View Post
    My guess is that a lot of the memory was used for the sound samples like "Johnny Cage Wins" and "Fatility", which were not present on the Genesis version. I've heard that the "Sega" sound in the introduction for Sonic the Hedgehog took about 1Mb of memory space to produce.
    I don't think the Sega chant on Sonic would take up 25% of the cart space on Sonic 1. Anyways Probe is and has always been ass with these ports I mean the 32X version has more voices than the Saturn version. Just let that marinate in your mind right now.
    Quote Originally Posted by Zoltor View Post
    Japan on the other hand is in real danger, if Japanese men don't start liking to play with their woman, more then them selves, experts calculated the Japanese will be extinct within 300 years.

Quote Originally Posted by Da_Shocker View Post
    I don't think the Sega chant on Sonic would take up 25% of the cart space on Sonic 1. Anyways Probe is and has always been ass with these ports I mean the 32X version has more voices than the Saturn version. Just let that marinate in your mind right now.
    The Genesis version is better than the Saturn version. I didn't think it was possible for someone to botch a port of MKII that badly.

I believe the Sonic cart was 8MB, the game used 7MB of it and the team decided to put in the Sega voice clip inside of that extra 1MB of free space.

http://segabits.com/blog/2012/09/12/...rtridge-space/
    Last edited by gamevet; 05-09-2017 at 08:08 PM.
    A Black Falcon: no, computer games and video games are NOT the same thing. Video games are on consoles, computer games are on PC. The two kinds of games are different, and have significantly different design styles, distribution methods, and game genre selections. Computer gaming and console (video) gaming are NOT the same thing."

The Cat in the Hat Hero of Algol NeoVamp's Avatar

My guess is that a lot of the memory was used for the sound samples like "Johnny Cage Wins" and "Fatility", which were not present on the Genesis version.
    But they are present in the Mortal Kombat II Unlimited romhack, which is also 32M and has all the MK1 stages in it and all the bios and the intro pics and the ending pics and new art for the hidden characters.

In short, a romhack has 50% more stuff in it than Probe's official version, Probe just didn't know how to optimize. probably threw some 256 color pics in there and called it a day.

Quote Originally Posted by NeoVamp View Post
    But they are present in the Mortal Kombat II Unlimited romhack, which is also 32M and has all the MK1 stages in it and all the bios and the intro pics and the ending pics and new art for the hidden characters.

In short, a romhack has 50% more stuff in it than Probe's official version, Probe just didn't know how to optimize. probably threw some 256 color pics in there and called it a day.
    Does it have all of the voice samples though?

The music and sound on Street Fighter Alpha 2 for the SNES sounds like garbage, because all of the cartridge space was used for player sprites, and it was using a 32Mb cart.
    Last edited by gamevet; 05-11-2017 at 12:30 PM.

The Cat in the Hat Hero of Algol NeoVamp's Avatar

Does is have all of the voice samples though?
    About 95% (if not more) really the only one that I can think of that's still missing is Kung Lao's throw voice sample.
    though I'm not sure if Shao Kahn had all his lines reinstated, would have to play to find out.

But yeah even if there were lines missing they could easily fit in if you removed the extra stages and art files.
    Probe just half assed it like usual.

MN12BIRD confirmed what I was saying with this video. The sample clips he's playing in his video takes up a massive amount of cart memory, and that is why some games had horrible sound samples, or missing sound samples.

Last edited by gamevet; 05-20-2017 at 02:24 AM.

Thread Information