Quantcast

Page 6 of 8 FirstFirst ... 2345678 LastLast

Thread: Mortal Kombat II: 32X vs SNES

I don't think the SFII games needed that much cart space if they compressed some of those graphics. Resulting in SFII WW costing me 115 Canadian dollars brand new when it came out being total bull for a kid without any income. Because last I heard here, these Capcom games don't compress the background graphics at all. So imagine how much better it could of been with that extra cart space saved... (or money saved)

But, this raises another question. Why did Capcom not compress the background graphics in SFII? What shortcoming on Capcoms programming skills did this cover?

Quote Originally Posted by Thief View Post
    I don't think the SFII games needed that much cart space if they compressed some of those graphics. Resulting in SFII WW costing me 115 Canadian dollars brand new when it came out being total bull for a kid without any income. Because last I heard here, these Capcom games don't compress the background graphics at all. So imagine how much better it could of been with that extra cart space saved... (or money saved)

But, this raises another question. Why did Capcom not compress the background graphics in SFII? What shortcoming on Capcoms programming skills did this cover?

The original Street Fighter arcade rom image is 3.4MB and the SNES rom comes in at 1.3. IIRC it should be 2MB (16 megapower) That would mean that the arcade was probably 4MB.
    Quote Originally Posted by Zoltor View Post
    Japan on the other hand is in real danger, if Japanese men don't start liking to play with their woman, more then them selves, experts calculated the Japanese will be extinct within 300 years.

Quote Originally Posted by Da_Shocker View Post
    The original Street Fighter arcade rom image is 3.4MB and the SNES rom comes in at 1.3. IIRC it should be 2MB (16 megapower) That would mean that the arcade was probably 4MB.
    Yes, SFII was 16Megs (2,049KB), the first 16Meg release if I recall correctly. SoR2 I think was like the 2nd 16Megger (at least outside of Japan, maybe). Wonder how SoR2 price compared to SFII back then... usually Genesis games were at least 10 Canadian Dollars cheaper then the same SNES games.

As for SFII WW MAME rom, seems to be 7,310KB. I guess that would be something like 56megs or something.

Not exactly what I had in mind but this will have to do for now.

Japan on the other hand is in real danger, if Japanese men don't start liking to play with their woman, more then them selves, experts calculated the Japanese will be extinct within 300 years.

Death Bringer Raging in the Streets Black_Tiger's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Thief View Post

16-bit consoles can't run the sprite animation in SFII if it's compressed, which takes up a lot of space.

I believe that only the Genesis versions' backgrounds are not compressed, although the PC Engine can't do as heavy duty compression as Genesis/SNES.
    Quote Originally Posted by year2kill06
    everyone knows nintendo is far way cooler than sega just face it nintendo has more better games and originals

Quote Originally Posted by Black_Tiger View Post
    16-bit consoles can't run the sprite animation in SFII if it's compressed, which takes up a lot of space.

I believe that only the Genesis versions' backgrounds are not compressed, although the PC Engine can't do as heavy duty compression as Genesis/SNES.
    Well the PCE can do something, because it's SFII CE is the same size as SNES Turbo at 20 megs (largest Hue card, I believe?). Genesis is 24. Guess just better compression method.

There's no info on if SNES SFII uses compressed backgrounds or not? Just a stab in the dark based on cart sizes for now...

And about 16-Bit consoles can't run animation of SFII if what is compressed; background, sprite or both? I guess sprite since you think SNES might not be compressing it's backgrounds, but that doesn't answer my question as to why Genesis SFII backgrounds aren't compressed. Unless you mean backgrounds too on Genesis...

i remember SF2 for the snes costing me about $78 bucks at the software etc kiosk in the mall. pricey but oh so worth it!

I bought mine (original SFII) at Electronic Boutique in the Pen Center Mall of St. Catharines, Ontario, Canada for that whooping price of 100$ + tax (so 115$). Like always likes to HCG say, things are always way more expensive in Canada. And yes, back then to SFII obsessed me it was totally worth it too. Just before that I seen that game at a friends cousin house and was blown away with seeing the SNES for the first time with SFIO & Super Ghouls N Ghosts. Of course then both these SFII & Super Ghouls N Ghosts commercials were constantly teasing me while I was working my mom to hurry up and get me an SNES with SMW and SFII already.

Quote Originally Posted by The Coop View Post
    I didn't say they were 32-bit quality, I said they were better. More colors were used, missing graphics were put back in, etc.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IIFXgHoCYXY
    Just a pallete changes, it uses the same bkg art and are rendered by mega drive vdp.
    32x upgrade de sprites, add 1 more layer of bkg, restaured the intros, versus screens, endings, nice char select screen and at last more voices samples.

Visit my youtube channel Pyron's Lair
    Take here all my hacks made with love for all of us here
    Want to help me? Here is my Patreon!

The Cat in the Hat Hero of Algol NeoVamp's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Pyron View Post
    endings
    Meh, the only thing they managed to squeeze in there was the stone background. the actual ending pictures aren't even used.

Typical Probe, 32M and they still couldn't do a proper job.

VA1LT CHIP ENABLED Master of Shinobi OverDrone's Avatar

If Probe had managed to implement the rest of the missing sampled FX in the 32X version, I'd have been a lot more forgiving of the port's other shortcomings.

None of these sound "right". Is it just my ears or what?

Gravis

The Cat in the Hat Hero of Algol NeoVamp's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Da_Shocker View Post
    None of these sound "right". Is it just my ears or what?

That's midi for ya, sounds weird on every soundcard you throw at it. (apparently there's a sound font for the AWE32 that makes it sound nicer but I don't even know how to load fonts)

Mortal Kombat II would be excellent port, and the best port work by Probe, if it was 60 fps. Alas it's choppy af.

Thread Information