Quantcast

Page 1 of 15 1234511 ... LastLast

Thread: Mortal Kombat II: 32X vs SNES

Hero of Algol

Default Mortal Kombat II: 32X vs SNES

I saw this video today and, while very short, it brings up some details missing in the SNES version which usually no comparison talks about.
    The idle animation one is something I've been talking about for years but haven't seen a direct comparison like that before.

Comrade as in friend. Master of Shinobi ComradeOj's Avatar

I thought it was a pretty good comparison video. I really like how they did super close up side-by-sides.

I would love them to do more games like Toy Story, Street Fighter II, and even some 5th gen games. I know Saturn and PS1 shared a decent amount of 2D games.
    Modded consoles:
    Master System (v7040) with s-video & direct AV out
    Model 1 with 10mhz overclock & halt switches
    Model 1 with 10mhz 68010
    Model 2 VA2.3 with unfiltered Mega Amp, & s-video
    Model 3 VA1 with compatibility fixes & s-video
    32X with s-video
    Visit my web site at www.mode5.net
    Or my collection of homebrew Genesis games, programs, and music on SEGA-16!

Raging in the Streets goldenband's Avatar

Never noticed the sprite breakup on the uppercut before! Very interesting.

That said, I still prefer the SNES version. I wish I didn't, as I was really looking forward to the 32X version, but I'm more affected by the missing sounds and the gameplay discrepancies* than the graphical upgrade vs. the SNES.

*There's been a lot of back-and-forth about this, but all I can say is that in the 1990s, moving back and forth between the SNES version and the arcade game felt very natural to me, whereas the 32X version feels all wrong -- at least with Jax, and especially with his aerial combos. Perhaps the SNES and 32X are just synced to different revisions of the arcade ROM, and I prefer the earlier one.

Mega Driven Raging in the Streets cleeg's Avatar

It's such a shame the 32X version is a bit half arsed. They really should have redone all the backgrounds as well as the sprites. Lazy.

VA1LT CHIP ENABLED Master of Shinobi OverDrone's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by cleeg View Post
    It's such a shame the 32X version is a bit half arsed. They really should have redone all the backgrounds as well as the sprites. Lazy.
    And the music. Good old Probe.

I actually really like the genesis/32X music for MK2 it is very dark and creepy type sounding

The Genesis music is pretty good, but nowhere near as dark as the original arcade compositions. The bass from the cabinet is awesome, the Genesis version sounds twangy and softcore in comparison IMO.

The SNES port captures the arcade soundtrack better, but on the flip side of the coin it's kind of let down by the in-game voice FX, which are pitched way too high.

I agree about the music, I think it's as good as the original in its own right and was a good move to remake it like this to suit the MD's sound system. But there is no excuse apart from laziness (Good old Probe as mentioned) for not making it more close to the arcade's soundtrack. They really should have made the backgrounds better too.

Raging in the Streets goldenband's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by OverDrone View Post
    The SNES port captures the arcade soundtrack better, but on the flip side of the coin it's kind of let down by the in-game voice FX, which are pitched way too high.
    But at least it's got Liu Kang's "You're-the-only-one-with-Mummy-on-the-site" (among other transcriptions). The absence of that from the 32X version -- instead he just says "Wassupwassupwassup" -- is downright tragic. Tragic, I tell you.

So's your old man! Raging in the Streets zetastrike's Avatar

Wow, that was really cool. I wish I could give you rep. Is it just me, or does Liu Kang's fireball look transparent on the 32X?
    Quote Originally Posted by A Black Falcon
    Nope. Bloodlines is the problem, not me. I have no trouble with Super Castlevania IV (SNES) and Dracula X: Rondo of Blood (TCD), and have finished both games. Both of those are outstanding games, among the best platformers of the generation. In comparison Bloodlines is third or fourth tier.

No, it's unbiased analysis. The only fanboyism is people who claim that Hyperstone Heist and Bloodlines are actually as good as their SNES counterparts.
    My Collection: http://vgcollect.com/zetastrike

^Yeah, I noticed that too. Can't say I noticed when I had the game BITD.

Quote Originally Posted by goldenband View Post
    But at least it's got Liu Kang's "You're-the-only-one-with-Mummy-on-the-site" (among other transcriptions). The absence of that from the 32X version -- instead he just says "Wassupwassupwassup" -- is downright tragic. Tragic, I tell you.
    Too true. Just another one of Probe's bullshit mistakes. Now typically I don't like to rail on a dev's work from the past because I understand the adversities (unrealistic deadlines etc) they had to work through. I prefer to focus on the positive aspects instead.

But the way the MK games were handled just infuriates me. More so the fact they kept repeating the same mistakes, and even when given more suitable hardware they still couldn't get it right (Saturn MK II). The Mega CD version of MK1 plays the music on the wrong stages, I mean if that doesn't scream laziness I don't know what does.

It's a bit half arsed but i would still take it over the Saturn and Ps1 version, the advantages just aren't worth the load times

Interestingly the Sega controller in the video is a wireless Saturn pad.

Quote Originally Posted by MrTechnoSqueek View Post
    I actually really like the genesis/32X music for MK2 it is very dark and creepy type sounding
    Sounded more like club music to me, rather than dark and foreboding music.

Currently Reviewing: Galaxy Force (SMS)
    Coming Up:TF3 Side by Side
    Done:

Road Rasher

Quote Originally Posted by zetastrike View Post
    Wow, that was really cool. I wish I could give you rep. Is it just me, or does Liu Kang's fireball look transparent on the 32X?
    Yeah i wonder how they did that fireball transparency effect.

Thread Information