Quantcast

Page 2 of 15 FirstFirst 12345612 ... LastLast

Thread: Mortal Kombat II: 32X vs SNES

Master of Shinobi

Quote Originally Posted by saturndual32 View Post
    Yeah i wonder how they did that fireball transparency effect.
    I wonder if it's a hardware glitch or some kind of video capture artefact. The fireball certainly doesn't appear transparent in motion to any noticeable degree on my 32x, and it would seem strange to go to the trouble of adding an effect that seems like it would have been hard to pull off and almost invisibly subtle.
    Last edited by Silanda; 07-03-2015 at 09:07 PM.

Road Rasher

Quote Originally Posted by Silanda View Post
    I wonder if it's a hardware glitch or some kind of video capture artefact. The fireball certainly doesn't appear transparent in motion to any noticeable degree on my 32x, and it would seem strange to go to the trouble of adding an effect that seems like it would have been hard to pull off and almost invisibly subtle.
    I have tried it myself, and you are correct. The fireball does not appear to be transparent, at least not on real hardware.

What does the 32x version of MK 2 add over the Genesis version other than more sound effects?

Quote Originally Posted by stika View Post
    What does the 32x version of MK 2 add over the Genesis version other than more sound effects?
    More sound effects, more voices, better background graphics, better character graphics, better shadows, I believe there are some extra animation frames in spots (not a lot, but a frame or two I think), and the opening cinema was put back in.

Currently Reviewing: Galaxy Force (SMS)
    Coming Up:TF3 Side by Side
    Done:

Quote Originally Posted by The Coop View Post
    More sound effects, more voices, better background graphics, better character graphics, better shadows, I believe there are some extra animation frames in spots (not a lot, but a frame or two I think), and the opening cinema was put back in.
    better backgrounds? Honestly they looked Genesis quality to me.

I didn't say they were 32-bit quality, I said they were better. More colors were used, missing graphics were put back in, etc.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IIFXgHoCYXY

Done:

So's your old man! Raging in the Streets zetastrike's Avatar

I didn't say they were 32-bit quality, I said they were better. More colors were used, missing graphics were put back in, etc.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IIFXgHoCYXY
    Is expecting better than SNES audio/visual quality out of the 32X version not realistic, or was probe really that unmotivated?
    Quote Originally Posted by A Black Falcon
    Nope. Bloodlines is the problem, not me. I have no trouble with Super Castlevania IV (SNES) and Dracula X: Rondo of Blood (TCD), and have finished both games. Both of those are outstanding games, among the best platformers of the generation. In comparison Bloodlines is third or fourth tier.

No, it's unbiased analysis. The only fanboyism is people who claim that Hyperstone Heist and Bloodlines are actually as good as their SNES counterparts.
    My Collection: http://vgcollect.com/zetastrike

Quote Originally Posted by zetastrike View Post
    Is expecting better than SNES audio/visual quality out of the 32X version not realistic, or was probe really that unmotivated?
    Probe was really all over the place when it came to their arcade ports. Some areas would be nice, while others would be sub-par. Take G-LOC for example. As I said in my review of it, some parts turned out rather well (scaling, some of the backgrounds, the music), while other areas really showed a serious lack of trying (the sound effects, sense of speed, some of the other backgrounds, etc.). Their other games on the Genesis are the same way. Personally, I think they just sucked at maximizing the available memory space with their games. They'd focus on one or two areas, get them reasonably right, and then stick some of whatever was left into the remaining Mb space.

As for the 32X MKII, unless I'm mistaken, the Genesis is doing the backgrounds, while the 32X handles the characters. That means the backgrounds are still locked into using 64 colors at most... which they don't, but they still look nicer than what's in the Genesis version. It was laziness IMO that they just reused the Genesis music (possibly to save the extra Mb for voices, SFX and enhanced visuals), seeing as the Genesis can do foreboding music just fine. That, or Probe didn't want to pay anyone for making new music more akin to the arcade game.

But yeah, the 32X version is closer to the arcade than the Genesis version, but it's still not all there. Stuff was still left out, and it doesn't quite match the SNES version as a result. I'm sure the 32X version would have been able to surpass the SNES one in most areas if it had been left in better hands. Too bad Sculptured Software wasn't brought in to do it, like they were for MK3 and UMK3. If they could get those games to be pretty faithful on all fronts on a stock Genesis, imagine what they could have done with MKII on the 32X.

Done:

Raging in the Streets goldenband's Avatar

Noticed recently that Jax's "gotcha" grab move doesn't seem to work against Kintaro on the SNES, whereas it does in the 32X version.

So, score one for the 32X, though I'm not sure if that parallels revisions in the arcade ROM (i.e. the way that Jax's air combos changed between ROM revisions in the arcade, or so I'm told).

Master of Shinobi

Quote Originally Posted by stika View Post
    What others have mentioned plus one very important thing: juggle combos. For reasons known only to Probe, they were completely missing from the Genesis/Mega Drive port. Also IIRC, and I admit to not having tested this in a long time, the 32x version plays closer to the arcade original than the SNES port, which personally puts it over the SNES port in my mind (along with a few other things that bug me about that version).
    Last edited by Silanda; 08-15-2015 at 09:53 PM.

Now with 33% more @$$! Master of Shinobi Assman's Avatar

Completely missing? No way. Admittedly I don't play the Genesis version much, 'cause you know, it's balls, but there's no way they're 100% missing. I'm sure I've at least done most of Kitana's notable combos in that version (e.g. fan lift, jump kick, fan throw, square wave punch). Maybe that's the Unlimited hack, though.

COLOR!!

Master of Shinobi

Quote Originally Posted by Assman View Post
    Completely missing? No way. Admittedly I don't play the Genesis version much, 'cause you know, it's balls, but there's no way they're 100% missing. I'm sure I've at least done most of Kitana's notable combos in that version (e.g. fan lift, jump kick, fan throw, square wave punch). Maybe that's the Unlimited hack, though.
    Ok, maybe not entirely missing, but I distinctly remember being frustrated at not being able to get a lot of the combos in the official fighters kompanion to work on the 16-bit Sega version, and IIRC the restoration of the combos was commented on by magazines when the 32x version was released. A quick test suggests some will work, typically ones that start with special moves such as Kitana's fan lift, but even some very simple two move combos are problematic on the 16-bit version. For example, Mileena's jumping low kick-sai toss combo requires way tighter timing against the ninjas than it should (it's not impossible but it's nowhere near as reliable to use, and it's easier against some characters than others for no apparent reason). The problem may be that regular moves don't lift characters as high into the air as they should, or perhaps Probe didn't account for the reduced sprite size.

Now, there's one thing that definitely is missing in the Genesis/MD version that was restored to the 32x version: the low punch. Weirdly enough, some of the first Mega Drive shots of MK II from Probe did show this move.

The 16-bit version certainly wasn't Probe's finest hour: missing moves, missing most of the vocies, missing sound effects, cut down animation, missing detailed animated shadows, missing intro + versus screen + ending graphics, combos not working properly, etc. The SNES version was a more complete package (though not without flaws) and the 32x version dumps all over it, although admittedly in had an extra 8Mb to use and it's still missing some voices.
    Last edited by Silanda; 08-16-2015 at 12:37 PM.

An Elite Member Wildside Expert WoodyXP's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by zetastrike View Post
    or was probe really that unmotivated?
    Probe wasn't the right team for the job. Sega shouldn't have brought them back after the MK1 ports.

Now with 33% more @$$! Master of Shinobi Assman's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Silanda View Post
    Ok, maybe not entirely missing, but I distinctly remember being frustrated at not being able to get a lot of the combos in the official fighters kompanion to work on the 16-bit Sega version, and IIRC the restoration of the combos was commented on by magazines when the 32x version was released. A quick test suggests some will work, typically ones that start with special moves such as Kitana's fan lift, but even some very simple two move combos are problematic on the 16-bit version. For example, Mileena's jumping low kick-sai toss combo requires way tighter timing against the ninjas than it should (it's not impossible but it's nowhere near as reliable to use, and it's easier against some characters than others for no apparent reason). The problem may be that regular moves don't lift characters as high into the air as they should, or perhaps Probe didn't account for the reduced sprite size.
    Interesting. Maybe I'll mess around without it later.

Nah, never mind, fuck that port. I don't even want it running on my Genesis. I'll just take your word for it.

Quote Originally Posted by WoodyXP View Post
    Probe wasn't the right team for the job. Sega shouldn't have brought them back after the MK1 ports.
    I doubt Sega had anything to do with it. I'm pretty sure that would have been Acclaim's call.

Thread Information