Quantcast

Page 3 of 15 FirstFirst 123456713 ... LastLast

Thread: Mortal Kombat II: 32X vs SNES

Master of Shinobi

Quote Originally Posted by WoodyXP View Post
    Probe wasn't the right team for the job. Sega shouldn't have brought them back after the MK1 ports.
    It wasn't Sega's choice, it was Acclaim's. Acclaim were very close to both Probe and Sculptured, purchasing both in 95.

I guess it made sense for them to give the Sega versions to Probe given how well MK1 sold, but Probe just didn't seem too great with fighting games. Their port of Primal Rage was also underwhelming and based on an older version of the arcade machine than every other port.

An Elite Member Wildside Expert WoodyXP's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Assman View Post
    I doubt Sega had anything to do with it. I'm pretty sure that would have been Acclaim's call.

Well f*ck Acclaim then. And Sega should have said "Get the sh*t out of here". But instead they put their seal of quality on it.

Quote Originally Posted by Silanda View Post
    It wasn't Sega's choice, it was Acclaim's.
    See above.

Master of Shinobi

Quote Originally Posted by WoodyXP View Post
    Well f*ck Acclaim then. And Sega should have said "Get the sh*t out of here". But instead they put their seal of quality on it.
    The Sega seal of quality meant nothing other than that the game worked and had an official license. No sane hardware manufacturer would block the release of what would likely be a hit, as well as seriously antagonize a publisher that's well supporting your system, because the port could be better. It's naive to think otherwise.

In an ideal world, Sega would have given Acclaim assistance with the port in order to make sure it was as high quality as possible, as hardware manufacturers sometimes do now with high profile titles. AFAIK that didn't really happen back then though.
    Last edited by Silanda; 08-17-2015 at 06:37 PM.

Raging in the Streets KnightWarrior's Avatar

If Sculptured Software did the 32X version. It prob would blow the Genesis version out of the water

Is't the 32x version the superior version?

Now with 33% more @$$! Master of Shinobi Assman's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by KnightWarrior View Post
    If Sculptured Software did the 32X version. It prob would blow the Genesis version out of the water
    Even the existing 32X version blows the Genesis port out of the water. As much as it is an underwhelming and disappointing upgrade, it's still better in every conceivable way.

MK2 Unlimited with Pyron's color hack does narrow the gap by a fair bit, though. It would be awesome if Pyron would lend his talents to tweaking the backgrounds in the 32X version, then we'd just need someone to hack mode 1 support in so we could put the original arcade music on a CD; now that would be a pretty good version of MK2.

Come to think of, was there any port of MK2 that had the original arcade music? Emulation aside, the 32-bit versions didn't have it and I don't even think the DOS-CD version had it. Wow, that fucking sucks. No wonder I hate Probe so much. All I wanted as a kid was an accurate port of MK2 and I never got it.

Master of Shinobi

Quote Originally Posted by Assman View Post
    Come to think of, was there any port of MK2 that had the original arcade music? Emulation aside, the 32-bit versions didn't have it and I don't even think the DOS-CD version had it. Wow, that fucking sucks. No wonder I hate Probe so much. All I wanted as a kid was an accurate port of MK2 and I never got it.
    Not until much later with the arcade collections. IIRC the Saturn and (Japanese) Playstation versions load stuff in mid-fight, so that's probably why they avoided streamed audio. There's really no excuse for the DOS version though. AFAIK all they did was put the floppy version on CD, taking up all of 26MB. I wonder if Probe were really overstretched doing so many ports, because otherwise that was beyond lazy.

Quote Originally Posted by The Coop View Post
    Probe was really all over the place when it came to their arcade ports. Some areas would be nice, while others would be sub-par. Take G-LOC for example. As I said in my review of it, some parts turned out rather well (scaling, some of the backgrounds, the music), while other areas really showed a serious lack of trying (the sound effects, sense of speed, some of the other backgrounds, etc.). Their other games on the Genesis are the same way. Personally, I think they just sucked at maximizing the available memory space with their games. They'd focus on one or two areas, get them reasonably right, and then stick some of whatever was left into the remaining Mb space.

As for the 32X MKII, unless I'm mistaken, the Genesis is doing the backgrounds, while the 32X handles the characters. That means the backgrounds are still locked into using 64 colors at most... which they don't, but they still look nicer than what's in the Genesis version. It was laziness IMO that they just reused the Genesis music (possibly to save the extra Mb for voices, SFX and enhanced visuals), seeing as the Genesis can do foreboding music just fine. That, or Probe didn't want to pay anyone for making new music more akin to the arcade game.

But yeah, the 32X version is closer to the arcade than the Genesis version, but it's still not all there. Stuff was still left out, and it doesn't quite match the SNES version as a result. I'm sure the 32X version would have been able to surpass the SNES one in most areas if it had been left in better hands. Too bad Sculptured Software wasn't brought in to do it, like they were for MK3 and UMK3. If they could get those games to be pretty faithful on all fronts on a stock Genesis, imagine what they could have done with MKII on the 32X.
    Actually, how do the SNES and Genesis versions of MK3 and UMK3 compare? Are there any proper comparison articles out there?

Death Adder's minion

Quote Originally Posted by KnightWarrior View Post
    I couldn't agree more. They did a terrific job with 32x WWF WrestleMania Arcade. I'd say it's as good as Saturn/Ps1 versions minus the CD sound capabilities. Even so the sound that's there was well done. Probe was a joke. Horrible Genesis and 32X ports all around.

The only thing that really bothers me about MKII 32X is the sound. You can tell great care was paid to get the sound details right on the SNES version. The 32X would have really benefitted from that attention to detail (various screams, projectile sounds, crowd cheering for Kintaro, etc.).

Death Adder's minion

Quote Originally Posted by stika View Post
    Actually, how do the SNES and Genesis versions of MK3 and UMK3 compare? Are there any proper comparison articles out there?
    I'm not aware of any comparison articles but back when the game released I was thoroughly impressed with what they accomplished on the Genesis and promptly purchased my copy. I remember playing the SNES version at a friend's house and thinking it was marginally better at best. Now that I own both copies I can say my opinion hasn't changed. I'm sure you could argue that the Genesis version is even superior to the SNES version.

Master of Shinobi Mega Drive Bowlsey's Avatar

I guess I'm the only one who really liked MKII on the Mega Drive then. Although that's probably because as kids my friends and I had nothing much to compare it to as nobody we knew owned a SNES and we'd only played it at the arcades a couple of times. The biggest shame for me was the Saturn version. If Probe had put all the missing voice samples in that would have been almost arcade perfect and, to be perfectly honest, the Saturn should have been able to handle an arcade perfect port of MKII without even breaking a sweat. Oh well at least UMK3 on the Saturn rocks.
    Last edited by Mega Drive Bowlsey; 12-09-2015 at 09:21 AM.

16-bits is all he needs Master of Shinobi matteus's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by GerjurdKing View Post
    I couldn't agree more. They did a terrific job with 32x WWF WrestleMania Arcade. I'd say it's as good as Saturn/Ps1 versions minus the CD sound capabilities. Even so the sound that's there was well done. Probe was a joke. Horrible Genesis and 32X ports all around.
    Feed me to the wolves but I think they could have done more with it! They have the MD doing the shadows and the background split over 2 plans. They had 60 colours to play with and what they've done looks pretty bad.
    Last edited by matteus; 10-15-2015 at 02:29 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by matteus View Post
    Feed me to the wolves but I think they could have done more with it! They have the MD doing the shadows and the background split over 2 plans. They had 60 colours to play with and what they've done looks pretty bad.
    I won't feed you to the wolves heh, it does have some improvements in resolution since the GEN/MD is 256x224 while the 32X version is 320X224. So at least it's not recycled content.
    http://www.mobygames.com/game/wwf-wr...__/screenshots

Personally I wouldn't say it looks bad but it could look better. If I could do it over again I'd probably have dropped the hue saturation of the crowd to increase the color count of the foreground more. As is the ring is too muted and dithered for something viewed so close to the camera perspective, I mean I kind of understand the crowd uses more diverse colors than the ring graphics but the crowd is further away and uses less of the screen altogether.

Another option would be to change the palettes going from top to bottom as the screen is drawn IE. Crowd palettes & Ring palettes, but Idk how fast that could be done with real-time scrolling and panning. Plenty of options but getting them to run fast enough is the tricky part.

Still can't believe how much better the 32x version looks. But that Genesis music kills it.

My favorite company that I love to rag on well if it wasn't so late i'd post what I have to say but since I feel like shit and gotta work tomorrow I gotta hold off for now.
    Quote Originally Posted by Zoltor View Post
    Japan on the other hand is in real danger, if Japanese men don't start liking to play with their woman, more then them selves, experts calculated the Japanese will be extinct within 300 years.

Thread Information