Quantcast

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: GG adaptor for Retron 5!

Default GG adaptor for Retron 5!

http://www.seganerds.com/2015/07/05/...ter-this-year/

Looks like I'll finally get one of these machines.

Video Game Modder Outrunner segasonicfan's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by bgpjr View Post
    http://www.seganerds.com/2015/07/05/...ter-this-year/

Looks like I'll finally get one of these machines.
    Cool news, finally some GG love!

This hardware is all emulated though, no?

“With the amount of Game Gears in the wild, the majority of them the screen is dried up, the resistors are cracked
    lol. this spokesperson obviously doesn't have a clue about electronics. I've never seen a "cracked resistor" in all the game gears ive worked on and he seems to think the screens are some kind of summer tomato, hehe.

I DON'T LIKE POKEMON Hero of Algol j_factor's Avatar

Ah yes, it sure was short-sighted of Sega to go with a fluid-filled membrane display.

You just can't handle my jawusumness responces.

Wildside Expert

It's weird they didn't just include GG capability from the get go, since I'm sure whatever SMS emulator they ripped off runs GG games. Granted you need a PBC to even play SMS on an R5, but I'm sure a lot of people would have found it more useful to have a GG slot than both an NES and a Famicom slot.

Raging in the Streets KnightWarrior's Avatar

Don't support a company that stole code for there System

(formerly known as 5233) Master of Shinobi Jeckidy's Avatar

I don't buy Chinese products that profit from software that others spent years perfecting. I don't buy reproductions that grant money to people other than the original authors, regardless of where they are made, and I do not buy shit like Dingoo or whatever. Hyperkin is an embarassment to the game world that only gullible people will support. Call me a moral zealot, but my views on a lot of these things has changed in the last few years. If you're going to pirate something, do it the fuck for free. Don't go ripping parts and programs from countries that only manage to put out quality products (from which they can plagiarize to begin with) mostly because their government and society gives more respect and protection to the people who put their heart and soul into it, even if most people in the end are still cheap as all hell.

Death Bringer Raging in the Streets Black_Tiger's Avatar

There is an RGB hoard for Game Gear now that has a port fir a Genesis controller and it asigns the Pause button to the Srart button on Genesis pads. It's not too expensive andceffectively consolizes a Game Gear in a single mod.

This emulation box is just a poor version of emulating on a computer. Carrying around an emukator based portable or running emulators on your smart phone makes sense. But I don't see the market for this as it isn't for the hardcore and who has a collection of GG carts if they're not?
    Quote Originally Posted by year2kill06
    everyone knows nintendo is far way cooler than sega just face it nintendo has more better games and originals

If someone would consolize and sell it, I'd buy one. I really want to play my GG games on a TV on original hardware.

Quote Originally Posted by Melf View Post
    If someone would consolize and sell it, I'd buy one. I really want to play my GG games on a TV on original hardware.
    That's what I did. I can't do any mods myself, so I'm more than happy to pay a good price for something which fills all of my needs.

The seller would likely put one together for you if you asked.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Sega-Game-Ge...item3aab9778d6
    everyone knows nintendo is far way cooler than sega just face it nintendo has more better games and originals

So's your old man! Raging in the Streets zetastrike's Avatar

What is the target market for the Retron5? Anyone who already has a bunch of carts has the original consoles. I don't think it will inspire many to take up game collecting. Is it meant as a convenient way to play your existing collection on a HDTV? Can't you just do that with a laptop with VGA or HDMI out?
    Quote Originally Posted by A Black Falcon
    Nope. Bloodlines is the problem, not me. I have no trouble with Super Castlevania IV (SNES) and Dracula X: Rondo of Blood (TCD), and have finished both games. Both of those are outstanding games, among the best platformers of the generation. In comparison Bloodlines is third or fourth tier.

No, it's unbiased analysis. The only fanboyism is people who claim that Hyperstone Heist and Bloodlines are actually as good as their SNES counterparts.
    My Collection: http://vgcollect.com/zetastrike

Quote Originally Posted by zetastrike View Post
    What is the target market for the Retron5? Anyone who already has a bunch of carts has the original consoles. I don't think it will inspire many to take up game collecting. Is it meant as a convenient way to play your existing collection on a HDTV? Can't you just do that with a laptop with VGA or HDMI out?
    It would make sense if it had a harddrive inside that you could just put rom sets on. I think that it only exists because so many people keep buying clones, no matter how expensive or problematic they can be compared to real hardware.

Quote Originally Posted by zetastrike View Post
    For me, it's the ability to play on a HDTV. I don't have VGA inputs on my TV and my pc is too far away to do a HDMI output for my TV. I like the fact the console can apply hacks to games, the save states, the upscaling (which looks pretty good if you get the right combination of filters) and the ability to play famicom games with ease. I don't regret my purchase.

Exactly this. It doesn't replace my real consoles; it supplements them.
    "Two and two continue to make four, in spite of the whine of the amateur for three, or the cry of the critic for five." - James McNeill Whistler

The medium-sized mang. Raging in the Streets Lastcallhall's Avatar

I tried one on a HDTV at a local retro shop here in town. Hated it. The delay for NES games is awful.

WCPO Agent

most people do NOT care if a game runs emulated or on "real hardware". Heck, even Genesis 3 cannot be considered "real hardware".

On the other side, my 5+ year old netbook does all the Retron 5 does and much better and with a lot of other options like having all the games for all the systems stored in it (I don't, but I could). Even a Raspberry Pi can do this without hassle. But I get people want convenience and getting the feeling that they are reviving their old cartridges, and that ultimately feels real, and probably feels more real than using an everdrive on a MD 1 (like I do) even if the latter is supposed to be more real.

In the end it's just code being interpreted and people who buy Retrons want something more solid, something they can touch. I don't like giving money to people benefiting of others work but I understand people doing it and thinking "hell, that's how the real world works anyway"

Thread Information