Quantcast

Thread: X'Eye Not Booting BIOS

Default X'Eye Not Booting BIOS

I have a XEye that will not boot past this part of the BIOS, has anyone had this issue and repaired it ? here is a screen shot of where its hanging.

Have you checked if the BIOS ROM contacts are clean and have good solder joints?

Now with 33% more @$$! Master of Shinobi Assman's Avatar

Oddly enough, this is what happens to me when I try to load an X'Eye or Wondermega BIOS via Everdrive. My X'Eye's own BIOS is fine, though.

Video Game Modder Outrunner segasonicfan's Avatar

This is can be caused by a communication error between the BIOS and Sega CD ASIC. I'd say cap replacement is going to be the first thing to do.
    It is also worth double checking the internal power supply regulation to make sure all the voltages are there. You'll get something like this if the CD board lacks the necessary 9v or whatever.

That happens when the CD drive init fails (SUB CPU can't connect to the CD drive CPU, aka "CDD". It tries to init the drive (so the drive then tries to check for a disc) right before it start the routines which runs the animated logo with the "X" (or SEGA/MEGA-CD logo depending on the ROM version) and since it is stuck at the CD init, it never starts the animation.

It's like what segasonic said, on some models if there's no 9v, there won't be 5v for the digital circuits on the CD drive and then the CDD won't start. It's about the same as if the drive wasn't there. Try that on a SEGA/MEGA-CD1 (disconnect the CD drive mainboard flatcable) and you will have a similar fault happen.
    I'd like to share some wisdom:
    Quote Originally Posted by TmEE
    I'm too lazy to be unstoppable.
    you can have shame, as long as you don't feel it

I have an extra Xeye that the CD rom boots but it it doesnt read games, so if I swap the drive and it gets the X I need a new drive? I will also recap and see it that helps. Thanks for the suggestions.

The other drive shows the X? It means the BIOS/CD side 68000 CPU can at least talk to it.

The one which doesn't show the X likely has corroded traces from leaking capacitors. Have the board checked with a magnifier.

If swapping the drive don't get you the X to show, the problem is on the main board (there's stuff on the main board that being faulty would also prevent the CD CPU from acessing the CD drive).

If the fault which prevents the X from appearing is not on the drive a possibility that swapping the full drive fixes the system which was showing the X previously so swapping the drive is a good thing to try. Make sure you don't swap the optical pickup/mechanics from one board to another because that would invalidate the potentiometer adjustments.

Hopefully you will get both units back into the game.
    Last edited by l_oliveira; 08-07-2015 at 11:42 AM.
    I'd like to share some wisdom:
    Quote Originally Posted by TmEE
    I'm too lazy to be unstoppable.
    you can have shame, as long as you don't feel it

Thread Information