Quantcast

Thread: FINALLY! Speakers For My Model 1!

Default FINALLY! Speakers For My Model 1!

I purchased some speakers a few days ago for my Model 1 Genesis (I prefer playing my 32x on my Model 1). Needless to say, my games sound AMAZING! Granted, the speakers aren't anything special, but they do give off a much better sound than what the television does. I have a copy of Shadow Squadron coming my way and I've heard only great things about the music on the game, so simply put I can't wait to hear the BGM on my speakers! 32x has never sounded better for me!

AKA Mister Xiado WCPO Agent Raijin Z's Avatar

If you want to have some fun, try tapping the audio signal before it runs through the headphone jack's amp chain. Impedance matching is almost a lost art.

ToeJam is a wiener Hero of Algol Guntz's Avatar

Umm, you do know that you can get a headphone to RCA adapter to route the Model 1 stereo sound to the TV, right? You can also hook up speakers to most TVs, there should be audio out jacks on the back.

Model 1 Genesis has only mono audio through the read port, and most CRT sets and cheap LCDs don't have external audio jacks for running into a receiver. The headphone jack is made for headphones. Running it to any audio unputs will result in poop sound. Example from the GB ProSound mod I did years back:

Headphone jack
    Line jack mod

Accept no imitations! Sega Blast Processing approved only

Me wants!

ToeJam is a wiener Hero of Algol Guntz's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Raijin Z View Post
    Model 1 Genesis has only mono audio through the read port, and most CRT sets and cheap LCDs don't have external audio jacks for running into a receiver. The headphone jack is made for headphones. Running it to any audio unputs will result in poop sound. Example from the GB ProSound mod I did years back:

Headphone jack
    Line jack mod
    What the hell are you talking about? The stereo out on the Genesis is just fine, get a headphone to RCA adapter and call it a day. Good CRTs and LCDs/Plasmas have audio out.

I wonder why I even posted examples. Yes, it works, but the sound quality is diminished due to impedance differences.
    http://electronicdesign.com/communic...atching-part-1

You get better results if you run lines from earlier in the amplifier chain, if you have the intention of running the audio to a TV, or the line-in port on a computer, or something else that isn't going go directly into your ears. I'll have to modify my Neo Geo, because using an 8mm to phono cable results in quieter sound than my other systems with multi-out ports or dedicated RCA jacks.

Quote Originally Posted by Raijin Z View Post

Headphone jack
    Line jack mod

Uh, sure ok,wait, what?.

What the hell are you talking about? The stereo out on the Genesis is just fine, get a headphone to RCA adapter and call it a day. Good CRTs and LCDs/Plasmas have audio out.
    I wonder why I even posted examples. Yes, it works, but the sound quality is diminished due to impedance differences.
    http://electronicdesign.com/communic...atching-part-1

You get better results if you run lines from earlier in the amplifier chain, if you have the intention of running the audio to a TV, or the line-in port on a computer, or something else that isn't going go directly into your ears. I'll have to modify my Neo Geo, because using an 8mm to phono cable results in quieter sound than my other systems with multi-out ports or dedicated RCA jacks.
    Ok now I get it.

I mentioned the Neo Geo because unlike the Genesis 2, it doesn't normally come with stereo cables for its multi-out port either, but has a headphone jack and a volume slider up front like the Genesis 1. Which produces muffled stereo sound when you're running it through a TV or other receiver. You can replace a head gasket with a cutout from a Cap'n Crunch box, but that doesn't mean you're going to get even factory-level performance out of it.

i lost patience trying to hook my mega drive to an old technics system. i connected everything and could get audio from the headphone socket, but the hissing was louder than the sound from the console. i gave up and haven't bothered trying again.

technology is a constant source of torment for me. i curse it regularly.

Quote Originally Posted by Andy View Post
    i lost patience trying to hook my mega drive to an old technics system. i connected everything and could get audio from the headphone socket, but the hissing was louder than the sound from the console. i gave up and haven't bothered trying again.

technology is a constant source of torment for me. i curse it regularly.
    Well here's why,
    http://www.gcaudio.com/resources/how...stemnoise.html

I stereo modded my model one and the volume can't be set too high at all before I get the storties and I have to either bring the stereo down to a level where it isn't heard anymore or find the sweet spot on a device(slider) that adds some
    of it's own interference to the mix.
    I would take my time and just start utilizing the settings that alter the sound until I found something that sounded as good as possible with out turning into noise at a higher volume you'll get from the stereo.
    Then I would take note of every position and setting on each one.Or take some good pics so that you can
    easily return the set up back to your configuration or even have multiple set ups for different optimizations and not have to tweak around every single time someone else uses the stereo.
    Keep in mind some of those old stereos are just terrible to try and see how good you can get sound from.
    And those equalizers with the sliders seemed to always be adding to the noise rather than help adjust and
    clarify.

It might not be quick but it'll get better (if your stereo is of any worth) and if you stay at it you will get it.

Hedgehog-in-Training Hedgehog-in-TrainingNameless One

I bought an RGB Scart lead for my MD1 that has a breakaway cable that connects to the headphone out port so the tv is provided with stereo sound & rgb image. The only advantage of PAL territories is most crt's are RGB capable

Man in Black Master of Shinobi IrishNinja's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Segaedge View Post
    Accept no imitations! Sega Blast Processing approved only

Me wants!

god, i had these for years growing up - think you had to mail in for em? they were good but they'd give off a purple hue on my cheapy CRT in the day

Thread Information