Quantcast

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: GTA V on its way to becoming best selling game ever

Raging in the Streets Yharnamresident's Avatar

Default GTA V on its way to becoming best selling game ever

Grand Theft Auto V has now shipped more than 54 million copies worldwide, parent publisher Take-Two Interactive announced on Monday as part of its latest earnings report for the quarter ended June 30. This is up from nearly 52 million three months ago.
    http://www.gamespot.com/articles/gta.../1100-6429631/

I just don't get the craze for the game. Never did. Its such a departure from previous games, with all the emphasis on online multiplayer and the boring single island map.

But I do love the insane amount of cars in the game. Thats my favourite part of it.

And remember, not even 2 years old and 54 million copies sold. The game will atleast surpass Wii Sports at 80 million.
    Certified F-Zero GX fanboy

End of line.. Hero of Algol gamevet's Avatar

I've never taken the game online, though I am somewhat tempted too. I've bought the game twice, with 1 copy on PS3 and the other on PS4. I don't mind the single player portion. It can get boring, if all you do is play the campaign. Sometimes it's just cool to fly a plane over the city, or drive a car along the ocean highway with the radio cranked up.
    A Black Falcon: no, computer games and video games are NOT the same thing. Video games are on consoles, computer games are on PC. The two kinds of games are different, and have significantly different design styles, distribution methods, and game genre selections. Computer gaming and console (video) gaming are NOT the same thing."

I also like riding a dirtbike on the small amount of backcountry in the game. When you crash on top of a mountain, and then your dirtbike slides all the way to the bottom.

I once rode a dirt bike to the top of the highest mountain and crashed. The bike slid down the mountain and I ended up walking many miles just to get another ride.
    A Black Falcon: no, computer games and video games are NOT the same thing. Video games are on consoles, computer games are on PC. The two kinds of games are different, and have significantly different design styles, distribution methods, and game genre selections. Computer gaming and console (video) gaming are NOT the same thing."

Spectral Savant WCPO Agent negative chill's Avatar

I think a lot of people are still kind of bitter about the world being not quite as vast as it was as GTA San Andres. But to be fair though, GTA V is incredibly detailed with a huge amount of things to do, so that kind of makes up for it a little bit
    Last edited by negative chill; 08-11-2015 at 04:01 PM.

“The Internet is the first thing that humanity has built that humanity doesn’t understand, the largest experiment in anarchy that we have ever had.”—Eric Schmidt

Super Robot Raging in the Streets Obviously's Avatar

I think the hype for GTA V is warranted. A game hasn't really knocked my socks off like it has in some time. I was amazed at how dense the world is and how immersive I found it. I haven't played a second of it online so that doesn't matter much to me.

I do wish that the main story arc had a bit more to it, but that might just be because I wanted to see more depth from the main characters. Despite that the game is an impressive toy box and virtual world. Sometimes I pop it in just to experience that.

I could nitpick elements of it but I don't see the point. It's an impressive achievement in game design.

Raging in the Streets

The game is absolutely fantastic so I feel this is good news.

GTA 4 had better characters and story, and I really enjoyed the urban atmosphere of the Liberty City map. In GTA 4, it felt like you could be anywhere in the city and there would always be things to screw around with, whether it be a burger shot, or just random pedestrians. In GTA 5, Los Santos feels like a generic sprawling city, so it's more boring to drive around, though the areas outside the city are really cool to explore, and I like the feel the game has. There are some strange decisions made though, like why can't you steal the train in GTA 5? Why does jumping on top of the cable car give you a wanted level? It's things like this that seem to unnecessarily limit the game.

Raging in the Streets

The thing is though, GTA4 has horrible repetitive missions and that small mafioso bit towards the end is very out of place

Quote Originally Posted by Qjimbo View Post
    GTA 4 had better characters and story, and I really enjoyed the urban atmosphere of the Liberty City map. In GTA 4, it felt like you could be anywhere in the city and there would always be things to screw around with, whether it be a burger shot, or just random pedestrians. In GTA 5, Los Santos feels like a generic sprawling city, so it's more boring to drive around, though the areas outside the city are really cool to explore, and I like the feel the game has. There are some strange decisions made though, like why can't you steal the train in GTA 5? Why does jumping on top of the cable car give you a wanted level? It's things like this that seem to unnecessarily limit the game.
    I don't think that GTA IV had a better story. Nico's story was pretty much that he couldn't get away from his past and it caught up with him. The different story angles of Trevor and Michael, with their past always being a point of tension kept things interesting and it was always funny waiting to see what Trevor was going to do next. Trevor surprised me one time, when I had stolen a vehicle, got mad about what was playing on the radio and switched the station on his own. It's those little things that always kept things fresh.

I will agree that the side characters in GTA IV were better though. Genetically superior bro!

I bought GTA 5 on launch, played it for a few hours, and gave it to my brother in law almost immediately. The whole game just felt like an errand simulator with traffic sim. No thanks. I hate running everyone else's errands. No thank you haha

Quote Originally Posted by negative chill View Post
    I think a lot of people are still kind of bitter about the world being not quite as vast as it was as GTA San Andres. But to be fair though, GTA V is incredibly detailed with a huge amount of things to do, so that kind of makes up for it a little bit
    Count me in. The San Andreas world felt massive because of how diverse every part of it was. In GTA V, it feels like the world only has 1 county.

Haha "county", I spoke American.

Also it seems strange to compare it to GTA IV. GTA IV was the most polarizing of them all.

Sports Talker DJGameFreakTheIguana's Avatar

Always preferred other sandbox games once we got into last generation, like Saints Row, Prototype, and Crackdown.

Rogue Master of Shinobi Pulstar's Avatar

Saints Row lost its way after 3, just became meta-ridiculous. I started playing GTA Online recently on Windows, if anyone wanna add me up please PM.

I imagine Rockstar could take on the world if they made a truly MMO GTA game, without these silly P2P restrictions and static environment (compare it to Red Faction Guerilla where you can destroy basically anything)

Quote Originally Posted by Pulstar View Post
    I imagine Rockstar could take on the world if they made a truly MMO GTA game, without these silly P2P restrictions and static environment (compare it to Red Faction Guerilla where you can destroy basically anything)
    That would be so cool! It'd be great to own a house in the city in the game, like a second life kind of thing, but more fun.

Thread Information