Quantcast

Page 11 of 11 FirstFirst ... 7891011

Thread: Barone's Hacking Corner

For great justice! Outrunner Tor Landeel's Avatar

Rad! Can you check if the same can be done in Fatal Fury 2?
    ***** トル・ランディール ******
    Cadash Arcade Colors hack:
    https://www.romhacking.net/hacks/3905/
    Out Run Arcade Colors hack:
    https://www.romhacking.net/hacks/3940/

Mega Driven Raging in the Streets cleeg's Avatar

Now then, on the Battletech front... Any way to hack its controls to make it play with the massive analogue controller from Micomsoft? Could work well..?

Very thanks Barone!

Quote Originally Posted by Barone View Post
    Exactly. I don't see any technical reason to have that; I guess maybe someone thought it was better for HUD visibility (?).
    There's very minor flickering when you have some of the stage objects animated under that area, but it's so minimal and in so few occasions that I can't believe they masked it for that reason.
    There's probably a handful of areas where the flickering becomes actually problematic.

Of course maybe they were just being overcautious but then why not draw the whole HUD in the window instead of using sprites on top of it?

Hero of Algol

Quote Originally Posted by Thief View Post
    Thanks for hack, downloaded.
    Quote Originally Posted by LinkueiBR View Post
    Much more badass without this black border.
    Good job barone!
    Quote Originally Posted by goldenband View Post
    Very nice! Unnecessary border, begone.
    Quote Originally Posted by Nightwolf View Post
    Cool Barone! Another improvement for my everdrive! :-)
    Quote Originally Posted by paulojr_mam View Post
    Too bad I can't rep.
    So awesome!
    Quote Originally Posted by cleeg View Post
    I shall be testing this out. Thanks for the 'huds up.'
    Quote Originally Posted by Pyron View Post
    omg thats really annoyng think that the developers just put a black bars from purpose... its really sucks
    much better now!!!
    Quote Originally Posted by EPSYLON EAGLE View Post
    Very thanks Barone!
    Thanks for the positive feedback and kind comments. I hope you enjoy it!

Quote Originally Posted by Sik View Post
    There's probably a handful of areas where the flickering becomes actually problematic.
    I've checked the whole game on real hardware and couldn't find anything like you're saying.

Quote Originally Posted by Sik View Post
    Of course maybe they were just being overcautious but then why not draw the whole HUD in the window instead of using sprites on top of it?
    Because it's pretty much just a tweaked version of Terminator (Sega CD), which already had a sprite-based HUD (as any game using the later iterations of David Perry's engine).

Quote Originally Posted by matteus View Post
    Could the masking have been related to the strict rules Sega were enforcing regarding quality control? Masking is common I do it with my FMV to stop the background flickering. I'm sure some games use it to preload assets on screen.
    That was actually intentional? Thought it a limitation of how they set the game up with the Genesis limited 2 layer background it sometimes runs into. Stuff like this make me think "What were they thinking?"
    Another possibility is the issue it inherited from Terminator (Sega CD) which allows you to exploit shooting through platforms. Due to the weapons and level layout, it's even more exploitable on RoboCop vs Terminator, so maybe testers found it to be an issue and they tried to mitigate it by reducing your view of the upper platforms.
    Just a thought.

Quote Originally Posted by Zebbe View Post
    Nice! Looks much better! I've always hated unnecessary black borders in games. Same thing with Konami's games, for example Hyperstone Heist.
    Quote Originally Posted by paulojr_mam View Post
    Wonder if it'd be possible in other games (i.e. Castlevania Bloodlines).
    Quote Originally Posted by Pyron View Post
    Like Zebbe said.. tmnt its one thats looks much better without these black bar hud
    I too was thinking if possible in other games.
    Quote Originally Posted by Tor Landeel View Post
    Rad! Can you check if the same can be done in Fatal Fury 2?
    We have to understand that this was a very rare exception, so don't expect it to be doable to other games.
    Most games which use sprites for the HUD already have it "transparent", because it simply makes no sense to waste sprites on an opaque one when you can use tiles for this.
    Games like Contra: Hard Corps save resources by using those big ass HUDs but are seriously pushing the hardware in other areas.

Some other games are just limited by poorly designed engines or stuff ported from the SlowNES. We have to keep that in mind.

Also, some games have graphics "under" those HUDs others don't. Hyperstone, for an example, have very little art being covered by the HUD, the rest is just empty really; so if even if you disable the window subplane you'll get almost no reward.

Some games have plane B clipped at the height where the window subplane begins (going from the bottom to the top) and some other games, like Fatal Fury 2, clip the sprites rendering (uncommon).

Each game is a different story and the most likely scenario is that it's not easy or not worth it to try to get rid of the big ass HUD.
    I know a few other games that I might try to do something about but I'll let you know when the time comes.

Quote Originally Posted by cleeg View Post
    Now then, on the Battletech front... Any way to hack its controls to make it play with the massive analogue controller from Micomsoft? Could work well..?
    With infinite time and wine, everything is possible.
    Last edited by Barone; 11-06-2017 at 11:19 PM.

For great justice! Outrunner Tor Landeel's Avatar

Aaaand, I still can't rep you. Damn.

Thanks for the info!
    ***** トル・ランディール ******
    Cadash Arcade Colors hack:
    https://www.romhacking.net/hacks/3905/
    Out Run Arcade Colors hack:
    https://www.romhacking.net/hacks/3940/

The Shadow knows Road Rasher Allard's Avatar

It's the little tweaks like this that I like the most, something small that does improve a game, instead of changing its systems from ground up. Kudos, Barone.

Hedgehog-in-Training Hedgehog-in-Training Heri's Avatar

I just wanted to say that it's fantastic to see communities like this with users like you who, even after all these years, are still doing things like this, because it's not an easy task, even with my very limited knowledge of the subject, I understand that all this takes a lot time and effort and I really appreciate what you do.

i'm looking forward to see all your projects.

Well, shit got weird. Turns out that the Robocop vs Terminator prototype did not have the black bars:

(source: https://www.elotrolado.net/viewtopic.php?p=1742057413)

So I'm guessing the black bars were a last minute thing (which probably explains a lot).

Thread Information