Quantcast

Thread: I beat Sonic Spinball

ToeJam is a wiener Hero of Algol Guntz's Avatar

Default I beat Sonic Spinball

I know it's probably not much of a victory, but it's a nice feeling to eventually find a somewhat improved version of Sonic Spinball. I absolutely hate the Genesis version, the physics are always working against you and it ends up being nearly impossible by the end.

Comrade as in friend. Master of Shinobi ComradeOj's Avatar

Nice job! Is the GG version really that much better? I've heard before that the Genesis version was the best.
    The Genesis version gave me a lot of trouble as a kid, and I never saw past toxic caves. Now-a-days, I can get to the machine, and sometimes to the final stage. I've never beaten it though.
    Modded consoles:
    Master System (v7040) with s-video & direct AV out
    Model 1 with 10mhz overclock & halt switches
    Model 1 with 10mhz 68010
    Model 2 VA2.3 with unfiltered Mega Amp, & s-video
    Model 3 VA1 with compatibility fixes & s-video
    32X with s-video
    Visit my web site at www.mode5.net
    Or my collection of homebrew Genesis games, programs, and music on SEGA-16!

ToeJam is a wiener Hero of Algol Guntz's Avatar

Well, having played both versions and only completing one, I'd say the Game Gear version is better. I think the physics engine is a little less unforgiving and the levels are a bit less frustrating. What makes a big difference though is every stage has switches that enable safety nets at the bottom flippers. I don't remember that being in the Genesis version.

The only significant downside is the music. Genesis soundtracks convert very, very poorly to PSG. It's like going from Soundblaster-16 to PC speaker.

Man in Black Master of Shinobi IrishNinja's Avatar

this is literally the first ive heard of someone doing this...so yeah man, props! guess i should give the GG one a go one day, cause man i can't/don't get far in the genesis one.

I'm surprised to see such strong opinions against the Genesis one, while hearing at the same time that anybody likes the GG/SMS ones. The latter is to me more or less unplayable.

Now with 33% more @$$! Master of Shinobi Assman's Avatar

The GG version is definitely far easier, but I certainly wouldn't call it better. The physics are practically non-existent; you can just push your way wherever you need to go in mid-air.

Admittedly it's been a couple of decades since I played it last, but it still seems like the worse version in every way. As badly as I sucked at video games back then, this was still a total pushover for me and didn't take too long to get boring.

Still, I always liked it for what it was. The graphics were pretty nice and I even enjoyed the soundtrack. Maybe I'm remembering wrong, but I thought most of the music was actually original compositions instead of redone Genesis tracks.

I only like the toxic pools music from the GG version. Otherwise, it's not worth owning, that and Sonic Labyrinth shouldn't have been made.

In general the Game Gear sonic games just aren't as fun as the ones on the Sega Genesis - Aspect tried, but Sonic Team should've worked on the GG versions, but that's my opinion on this.

AKA Mister Xiado WCPO Agent Raijin Z's Avatar

I've only played the Genesis version. Rented it when it had first come out, and dedicated myself to completely beating it. Got all of the chaos emeralds and beat it, and now I have zero desire to ever play it again. Sonic Spinball turns fun into work.

Thread Information