Quantcast

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: MD Darius POC by Hidecade

Default MD Darius POC by Hidecade

https://twitter.com/gosokkyu/status/995825505197735937

Video inside. Pretty sweet.

"Remember when Hidecade said his MD Darius "port" was just a proof-of-concept programming exercise and he didn't intend to port the entire game? oops, he's pretty much ported the entire game."

Road Rasher

Quote Originally Posted by Genesis Knight View Post
    https://twitter.com/gosokkyu/status/995825505197735937

Video inside. Pretty sweet.

"Remember when Hidecade said his MD Darius "port" was just a proof-of-concept programming exercise and he didn't intend to port the entire game? oops, he's pretty much ported the entire game."
    Biggest POC ever, LOL

I really hope he releases this, it would be nothing short of great.

Hedgehog-in-Training Hedgehog-in-TrainingNameless One

Quote Originally Posted by netpredakonn View Post
    Biggest POC ever, LOL

I really hope he releases this, it would be nothing short of great.
    OMFG this is amazing, Darius, Shinobi, Papi, Tanglewood, Xeno Crisis. Great year.

Quote Originally Posted by Genesis Knight View Post
    This is pretty much true for the Cave Story port too if I recall correctly.

Oh man, that's amazing! I wonder if he was using Super Darius on the PCE as a base for the programming (and for transplanting a single-screen variant of Darius). I am a huge Darius fanboy, so I am hoping for a release!! I am also impressed that the music almost sounds identical; I would have thought the 2612 couldn't handle all the exact same instruments as on a 2151 chip, which is what I think Darius uses.

WCPO Agent

Oh man, I want to play this so much. The first Darius is still one of my favourite shmups. The music is so damn eerie, great to hear that it is almost identical.

Also it looks like playing in single screen actually helps the game in some regards, the boss fights in that video look much easier - or at least, Fatty Glutton and Green Coronatus definitely do look easier, those are the two bosses I just can't deal with no matter what.

Good Morning

Today is a very special day, actually it was day 3, but we do not have so much news like this from Japan.
    On June 3, Mr. Hidecade, 46, finished the Darius port for the Mega Drive, is a very special news for all of us, and a great victory for him that programs the game more than 3 years, a game that he played after school.

Banned by Administrators

Link?

Quote Originally Posted by Thief View Post
    Link?
    https://ameblo.jp/arcade-cabinet/
    http://nlab.itmedia.co.jp/nl/article...8/news140.html

also you can go on his twitter account

Visit my youtube channel Pyron's Lair
    Take here all my hacks made with love for all of us here
    Want to help me? Here is my Patreon!

Puzzle Bobbler Wildside Expert smokemonster's Avatar

Extremely cool

Hedgehog-in-Training Hedgehog-in-TrainingSports Talker vash999's Avatar

Is the beta of the game available for download?
    Where could you download if it was like that?

Quote Originally Posted by vash999 View Post
    Is the beta of the game available for download?
    Where could you download if it was like that?
    I highly doubt that this will be ever get released, I have seen this happen many times, like with the Gradius and Parasol Stars ports for the SMS, also with many ports, hacks and never released prototypes for the MSX, which has a big dev scene in Japan until this day, it seems like its a common practice among japanese retro systems scene developers, they first tease people with something cool, share their progress for some time until they pretty much tell you to screw ys because you ain't gonna touch their work, their excuse is always that they do not want to violate any intellectual property laws, or something like that, I don't know if that's true, but I think it's very unlikely that a company like Sega would be interested in sueing people for launching a demo for a 20+ year old machine that is no longer making them any money.
    Last edited by chinitosoccer; 06-12-2018 at 10:09 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by chinitosoccer View Post
    I highly doubt that this will be ever get released, I have seen this happen many times, like with the Gradius and Parasol Stars ports for the SMS, also with many ports, hacks and never released prototypes for the MSX, which has a big dev scene in Japan until this day, it seems like its a common practice among japanese retro systems scene developers, they first tease people with something cool, share their progress for some time until they pretty much tell you to screw ys because you ain't gonna touch their work, their excuse is always that they do not want to violate any intellectual property laws, or something like that, I don't know if that's true, but I think it's very unlikely that a company like Sega would be interested in sueing people for launching a demo for a 20+ year old machine that is no longer making them any money.
    I have deep respect for all creators, never rushed into releases that I helped or donated.
    This guy did a great job, but at the end of the day doing something like that, exposing the whole process and in terms of video games and not sharing, is kind of perverted.

Road Rasher

Quote Originally Posted by Chev Chelios View Post
    I have deep respect for all creators, never rushed into releases that I helped or donated.
    This guy did a great job, but at the end of the day doing something like that, exposing the whole process and in terms of video games and not sharing, is kind of perverted.
    To me, it is quite clear that this is something that he was doing just for fun, with no intention of ever releasing it. I don't see any with that. It's not like this is a game that we can't already play on other platforms.

What would be nice of him to do, if he feels like, is to release the source without the graphic and music assets. It could be used as an engine for an original horizontal shmup on MD, which would be great.

Mega Driver Hedgehog-in-TrainingWCPO Agent Gryson's Avatar

I'm not sure we need two threads for this (original here: http://www.sega-16.com/forum/showthr...omebrew-Games/), but as I said in the other thread...

Hidecade made this to both get other Japanese people interested in MD development and to learn SGDK with the hopes of one day releasing an original game.

Anybody who thinks they have some right to his work or that he is obligated to share it are, frankly, entitled, and that's the exact attitude which pushes creators away.

If you're interested in Hidecade's work, then voice your support so that he will use what he's learned to make an original game. Voicing your frustrations of entitlement will only push him away.

Thread Information