Page 2 of 34 FirstFirst 12345612 ... LastLast

Thread: WIP - Shinobi MD port

My Hero!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Visit my youtube channel Pyron's Lair
    Take here all my hacks made with love for all of us here
    Want to help me? Here is my Patreon!

WCPO Agent

Quote Originally Posted by negative chill View Post
    Wouldn't it be much easier to just do a sprite hack of Shadow Dancer? Because near as I can tell, the two are almost identical gameplay wise
    A sprite hack is not sufficient. You need to hack the levels, the characters placement, the characters AI, the music, disable the dog...

My first intention was to do that, but I'm not really sure it'd be faster or easier.

Hero of Algol

Quote Originally Posted by tryphon View Post
    My first intention was to do that, but I'm not really sure it'd be faster or easier.
    It wouldn't. You did the right thing IMO. Much, much better this way.

Quote Originally Posted by tryphon View Post
    2) the remake sprites use another resolution and much more color than the original (the System16 has the same resolution than MD, but slightly more colors) so it needs much more work to convert and redesign the remake sprites for MD. If you feel inclined to do this work, I'll gladly include them in my port. I can even import the 2 sets and let the player decide.
    How does this work? Does it have something to do with the sprite size limit of the MD? If so, where can I find some info about it?
    I work with graphic editors and already did some sprites just for curiosity, without color limits. I imagine you're using a color palette in-game and I must use the same, reserving some colors for the backgrounds.
    Just found this site with the game's sprites, except by the backgrounds, and did a quick color reduction and change in Photoshop.
    It counts now 13 colors:
    paleta.png
    How should I proceed next? Also, by the sprite sheet, the remake uses 3 models at the same time, one for his legs, other for the upper body and the last for his scarf. Would the MD handle them same way or as just one?

So nice!!! Thanks for the effort!

Quote Originally Posted by maxi View Post
    How does this work? Does it have something to do with the sprite size limit of the MD? If so, where can I find some info about it?
    I work with graphic editors and already did some sprites just for curiosity, without color limits. I imagine you're using a color palette in-game and I must use the same, reserving some colors for the backgrounds.
    Just found this site with the game's sprites, except by the backgrounds, and did a quick color reduction and change in Photoshop.
    It counts now 13 colors:
    paleta.png
    How should I proceed next? Also, by the sprite sheet, the remake uses 3 models at the same time, one for his legs, other for the upper body and the last for his scarf. Would the MD handle them same way or as just one?
    This Shinobi remake sprite is bad and smaller if compared to the original arcade sprite!
    VISUAL SHOCK!
    SPEED SHOCK!
    SOUND SHOCK!
    NOW IS TIME TO THE 68000 HEART ON FIRE!

Shadow of the Beast II - Enhanced Colors:
    http://www.romhacking.net/hacks/2275/

Sunset Riders - Enhanced Colors:
    http://www.romhacking.net/hacks/2287/

Turrican - Fixed:
    http://www.romhacking.net/hacks/2535/

Puzzle Bobbler Wildside Expert smokemonster's Avatar

Very cool project, and great attention to detail tryphon. I'm excited to see how this progresses.

Just awesome, can't wait to see this game in action.

As for the "remake sprite", it doesn't fit the original style at all.

Quote Originally Posted by LinkueiBR View Post
    This Shinobi remake sprite is bad and smaller if compared to the original arcade sprite!
    Just compared the two and the remake sprite is actually one pixel higher:
    shinobld.png

Also, I always found his original model silly. Looks like Batman without his mask and cape, and the head isn't even hidden like in the title screen and cover of the MS port. His Shadow Dancer and Super Shinobi cloths are a lot better, like a proper ninja.

Death Bringer Raging in the Streets Black_Tiger's Avatar

Just compared the two and the remake sprite is actually one pixel higher:
    shinobld.png

Also, I always found his original model silly. Looks like Batman without his mask and cape, and the head isn't even hidden like in the title screen and cover of the MS port. His Shadow Dancer and Super Shinobi cloths are a lot better, like a proper ninja.
    Just look at that screen shot and it's obvious how wrong that sprite is for this game.

Even if alternatives are optional, Shinobi isn't Shinobi without the original player sprite.

The only way alternate costumes should be done is if someone builds off of the original sprite and makes it match the game.
    Quote Originally Posted by year2kill06
    everyone knows nintendo is far way cooler than sega just face it nintendo has more better games and originals

I also never understand why Joe Musashi don't use a ninja mask in the original game...
    f@ck logic
    VISUAL SHOCK!
    SPEED SHOCK!
    SOUND SHOCK!
    NOW IS TIME TO THE 68000 HEART ON FIRE!

Shadow of the Beast II - Enhanced Colors:
    http://www.romhacking.net/hacks/2275/

Sunset Riders - Enhanced Colors:
    http://www.romhacking.net/hacks/2287/

Turrican - Fixed:
    http://www.romhacking.net/hacks/2535/

Now with 33% more @$$! Master of Shinobi Assman's Avatar

I never liked the original Mushashi sprites either, so I'd love to see an option for different ones, but I think the sprites from one of the Genesis games would be a better fit. Even just having a masked version of the original sprites with or without a palette similar to the other games would probably be a big step up.

It would also be cool if there was an option to have a SMS-like health bar for those more familiar with that port, especially since this game can be kind of a bastard. Just a thought.

Either way, I'm all over this. Any extra options or features would only be the cherry on top.

WCPO Agent

It counts now 13 colors:
    paleta.png
    I still don't know exactly how many colors I'll be able to devote to Musashi Sprite. I'm afraid it'll be less than 13, more likely around 8. I need not only sprites, but also bounding box rectangles, hitboxes, damage boxes... You should wait a little to do that until I correctly implemented those features and have a complete ressources builder.

Also, I'll need also stages arts, since remake sprite doesn't fit well in arcade stages. If you don't have them, you'll have to rip them from the game (take snapshots and adjusts images pixel-perfectly, that's what I did with arcade stages).

So you must be warned that it's a very time-consuming task.

Quote Originally Posted by assman
    I never liked the original Mushashi sprites either, so I'd love to see an option for different ones, but I think the sprites from one of the Genesis games would be a better fit.
    In fact I plan to add the Shinobi III sprite as an easter egg (if it fits well, if not I'll try Revenge of Shinobi or Shadow Dancer sprite ; that said, Shadow Dancer hero is not Joe Musashi IIRC).

It would also be cool if there was an option to have a SMS-like health bar for those more familiar with that port, especially since this game can be kind of a bastard. Just a thought.
    Planned too. It'll more likely be a hybrid game inspired by SMS version. I'd like to fix some issues with the SMS game (to summarize : either did I win the 1st bonus stage and gain the flying magic, in which case I finished the game without losing a life ; or I failed at this bonus stage and couldn't get through stage 4-2, that's not fair)

But it's a long-term improvement.

IMO i far prefer the originals sprites, they of course fit better to the original design ! I'm really not a fan of the reworked sprites in the different sequels or remakes...

Hero of Algol

I agree with Stef.

Thread Information