Quantcast

Page 3 of 32 FirstFirst 123456713 ... LastLast

Thread: WIP - Shinobi MD port

WCPO Agent

So do I. It's absolutely out of question to get rid of original art. I just leave the door open to alternate arts you can select in the Options menu, but I won't give up original. So many memories

The original arcade game feels a lot more contemporay as a Mega Drive game rather than that J2ME remake with aesthetics based upon the Shinobi 2002 game for PlayStation 2, so I also prefer the conversion to keep resembling the original as much as possible.

As for the health meter, I would also add an option (an options screen would be perfect for this and other possible configurations) to play with one-hit life for those who prefer to stay closer to the arcade experience.

WCPO Agent

In fact, I intend to propose 2 different games (in the same cart) selectable at start menu :
    * the arcade game (as close as possible)
    * a console special, inspired by the SMS one (with a life bar, but also other differences)

Quote Originally Posted by tryphon View Post
    Also, I'll need also stages arts, since remake sprite doesn't fit well in arcade stages. If you don't have them, you'll have to rip them from the game (take snapshots and adjusts images pixel-perfectly, that's what I did with arcade stages).
    So you must be warned that it's a very time-consuming task.
    But it's a long-term improvement.
    Yes, the idea I had is change everything (enemies, stages and objects), not just Joe. The only thing weird for me in the remake is how they changed the hostage kids for a generic kunoichi. The stages would be a bit difficult to extract because some of them are using more than one layer, and I don't know if there's an emulator for java games which let me isolate each layer. But like you said, better improve more the engine so we can see if the hitboxes would compromise the gameplay.
    Also, I was just going to ask about the MS improvements. Good to see your are planning to mix the versions, because the power ups are a welcome addition.

Master of Shinobi

Quote Originally Posted by LinkueiBR View Post
    I also never understand why Joe Musashi don't use a ninja mask in the original game...
    f@ck logic
    it's because at the time he wasn't known at all. Just like Daft Punk at their beginnings

I too don't understand this sprite replacement nonsense. We want original Shinobi on the MD, not an hybrid custom crazy morphed guy. We want gray, uncovered, genuine Musashi. And we don't need fancy easter eggs and lots of improvements: we'd like a faithful port (preferably faithful to the arcade instead of the SMS, but whatever you can achieve will do)

rent a hero! Road Rasher maxxfarras's Avatar

In fact, I intend to propose 2 different games (in the same cart) selectable at start menu :
    * a console special, inspired by the SMS one (with a life bar, but also other differences)
    Perfect choice IMO.
    hay que tomar el control del descontrol.

This would be perfect!!!
    VISUAL SHOCK!
    SPEED SHOCK!
    SOUND SHOCK!
    NOW IS TIME TO THE 68000 HEART ON FIRE!

Shadow of the Beast II - Enhanced Colors:
    http://www.romhacking.net/hacks/2275/

Sunset Riders - Enhanced Colors:
    http://www.romhacking.net/hacks/2287/

Turrican - Fixed:
    http://www.romhacking.net/hacks/2535/

Quote Originally Posted by LinkueiBR View Post
    This would be perfect!!!
    I agree

Raging in the Streets SEGA.GENESIS1989's Avatar

Thumbs up

You will make alot of people EXTREMELY happy (including myself) if you pursue this idea!
    "There's nothing to fear, except fear itself"
    http://i1054.photobucket.com/albums/s486/link2link2link/YUZOKOSHIROISAGODNEOSEEDEDITION.gif

Now with 33% more @$$! Master of Shinobi Assman's Avatar

In fact I plan to add the Shinobi III sprite as an easter egg (if it fits well, if not I'll try Revenge of Shinobi or Shadow Dancer sprite ; that said, Shadow Dancer hero is not Joe Musashi IIRC).

Planned too. It'll more likely be a hybrid game inspired by SMS version. I'd like to fix some issues with the SMS game (to summarize : either did I win the 1st bonus stage and gain the flying magic, in which case I finished the game without losing a life ; or I failed at this bonus stage and couldn't get through stage 4-2, that's not fair)

But it's a long-term improvement.
    This sounds really, really awesome. I salute you!

So do I. It's absolutely out of question to get rid of original art. I just leave the door open to alternate arts you can select in the Options menu, but I won't give up original. So many memories
    Please Tryphon, keep going with original rip off of the game, the arcde version is the one that must be folow,
    sms version or another ports dosent have same quality of the original, belive me.

Lest go make the dream comes true, original shinobi to md is way to go..!
    If you want any help about art i can try help

Visit my youtube channel Pyron's Lair
    Take here all my hacks made with love for all of us here
    Want to help me? Here is my Patreon!

The Shadow knows Road Rasher Allard's Avatar

Holy Jesus Heisenberg Christ, is this beautiful. Sega never porting the original Shinobi to MD never made sense to me, with some of the niceties from the SMS version this could easily be the definitive edition. Keep up the good work!

I can't wait to hear the music!!!
    Like Midnight Resistance, it may sound even better on the MD than the Arcade version!!!
    VISUAL SHOCK!
    SPEED SHOCK!
    SOUND SHOCK!
    NOW IS TIME TO THE 68000 HEART ON FIRE!

Shadow of the Beast II - Enhanced Colors:
    http://www.romhacking.net/hacks/2275/

Sunset Riders - Enhanced Colors:
    http://www.romhacking.net/hacks/2287/

Turrican - Fixed:
    http://www.romhacking.net/hacks/2535/

Death Bringer Raging in the Streets Black_Tiger's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by -RT View Post
    Holy Jesus Heisenberg Christ, is this beautiful. Sega never porting the original Shinobi to MD never made sense to me, with some of the niceties from the SMS version this could easily be the definitive edition. Keep up the good work!
    Licensing the game out to Asmik for the PC Engine might have had something to do with it. That and Sega developing Revenge of Shinobi so early on.
    Quote Originally Posted by year2kill06
    everyone knows nintendo is far way cooler than sega just face it nintendo has more better games and originals

Raging in the Streets SEGA.GENESIS1989's Avatar

Genesis

Quote Originally Posted by -RT View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Black_Tiger View Post
    Licensing the game out to Asmik for the PC Engine might have had something to do with it. That and Sega developing Revenge of Shinobi so early on.
    I've always worked on the presumption that SEGA figured that SEGA Genesis owners could always play the Master System version of Shinobi via the "Power Base Converter" (anyone remember what the release date was for the peripheral? There's no info online ). After all, Master System games were being sold along side SEGA Genesis games (at least for a short period of time).
    "There's nothing to fear, except fear itself"
    http://i1054.photobucket.com/albums/s486/link2link2link/YUZOKOSHIROISAGODNEOSEEDEDITION.gif

Thread Information