Quantcast

Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Thread: Sega Gear: MD-Pro Flash Card

Default Sega Gear: MD-Pro Flash Card

Wondering how to play those fan-translated ROMs on your actual Genesis hardware? Lucky for you that site contributor Zebbe hears your pleas! His latest feature is a review of Tototek's MD-Pro Flash Card, perfect for playing such gems as Battle Mania Vintage and Monster World IV in English and in front of your TV. Check out his latest report in our Sega Gear series and see which version of the card is right for you.
    Last edited by Melf; 02-23-2012 at 05:06 PM.

YM3438 Master! ESWAT Veteran evildragon's Avatar

LOL! What's with the hentai, etc, being flashed onto the cart, in the software screenshot?
    Customized Sega Genesis Model 1 - VA3. Energy efficient with buck converters instead of LM7805's.

I want a 640 MEGA POWER version that comes with 32 Flickies and 608 Street Fuckers. Oh man that would kick so much ass. I'd be the coolest kid on my block.

Loves Lori Bazzil! Raging in the Streets 108 Stars's Avatar

The Hentai Collection is one of the greatest things available on the MD; and so is Hot Chicks 32X! Praise be to Zebbe for flashing those two jewels of software-history!

Chenjesu of the Alliance Outrunner megabomberman's Avatar

New doors in my life are being opened, good god I need this product!
    "Age badly is something women do, games are good or bad when they are released. "

"It's like watching Runic stones by vikings here in Täby: not beautiful compared to Mona Lisa, but damn fine stuff for their time, as Phantasy Star II is, and that is why I enjoy it."

Zebbe speaks on the quality of how 16-bit games hold up against modern counterparts 28/07/07 beautiful

Be aware: The product does not work with all PCs.
    There are problems with (more or less) modern Printer-ports; meaning, if you´re unlucky you cannot flash the cart.
    I´d recommend you do it like me: be carefull and wait for a new and improved flash cart.

Hmmm intriguing, a new flash cart? Do you think that one of these is in the works or are you merely speculating?
    "Age badly is something women do, games are good or bad when they are released. "

"It's like watching Runic stones by vikings here in Täby: not beautiful compared to Mona Lisa, but damn fine stuff for their time, as Phantasy Star II is, and that is why I enjoy it."

Zebbe speaks on the quality of how 16-bit games hold up against modern counterparts 28/07/07 beautiful

Well...I know that an advanced flash cart is in developement. However, I do not know when it will be released...or if it will be released at all. Depends on whether the new concept works well or not. But if it works, it will be safer (and easier to use)

Anyway, the opportunity doesn´t run away; Tototek produces the flash carts by order afaik; meaning, when you order they build the cart especially for you. So they won´t be out of stock soon.^^

If there is a problem with some parallel ports, I may know of a solution. Obvious checks are the BIOS setup, to make sure the proper parallel port mode is enabled. I think EPP is only what you can use, not SPP or ECP.. All BIOS's have this option.

Also, if your using an NT based OS (NT, 2000, XP, Vista), you might need PortTalk, unless the flash cart software bypasses this internally (which is highly possible)..
    Customized Sega Genesis Model 1 - VA3. Energy efficient with buck converters instead of LM7805's.

Ah yes just in time production the joy of the 16 bit world!

I never had an idea of these products before a short while, we are in the golden age of genesis gaming it has to be said,

Quote Originally Posted by evildragon
    If there is a problem with some parallel ports, I may know of a solution. Obvious checks are the BIOS setup, to make sure the proper parallel port mode is enabled. I think EPP is only what you can use, not SPP or ECP.. All BIOS's have this option.
    That is correct, but even if you set it to EPP, there is still a chance it won´t work. At least that´s what I read about other people´s experiences with the MD Pro.
    I´m no PC-ace, all I know it is a bit risky for the money it costs.

Quote Originally Posted by 108 Stars
    That is correct, but even if you set it to EPP, there is still a chance it won´t work. At least that´s what I read about other people´s experiences with the MD Pro.
    I´m no PC-ace, all I know it is a bit risky for the money it costs.
    Luckily I got certified in PC hardware, and can answer what "might" be going on.

It could be that the parallel port doesn't wait long enough for it's port to rise high enough for it's TTL voltage. Cheaper motherboards are like this sadly, it's a cost saving measure.

the only fix for that, is too either re-design the flash carts circuitry, or the software. (depending how the interface works)

Why do these flash cart type products keep using 1980's technology like printer ports? Are the designers living in a technology deprived world where nothing ever advances? USB is fine, and even then they can't make it so that some USB ports don't destroy the thing. And they need the printer port AND the USB simultaneously. That's messed up. Hell, put a firewire jack on the thing. At least step up to the 90's.

Actually, Nintendo DS flash carts use SD cards. Can be put in every cheap USB card reader and rewritten that way. Then plug it into the flash cart and voila.
    I think this is the next step for MD flash carts too.

Quote Originally Posted by Joe Redifer
    Why do these flash cart type products keep using 1980's technology like printer ports? Are the designers living in a technology deprived world where nothing ever advances? USB is fine, and even then they can't make it so that some USB ports don't destroy the thing. And they need the printer port AND the USB simultaneously. That's messed up. Hell, put a firewire jack on the thing. At least step up to the 90's.
    USB is for power...

Parallel ports are usually better for programming for EEPROMs, because they both are natively parallel, and USB is serial (and takes more work, because then you need a client USB chipset for the flashcart, and then an internal parallel interface to actually program the EEPROM..)

Thread Information