Quantcast

Page 1 of 131 123451151101 ... LastLast

Thread: Nintendo Switch (Official Thread)

Antiquing Hedgehog Lord QuickSciFi's Avatar

Default Nintendo Switch (Official Thread)

Ok folks. Brace yourselves. Looks like the NX is going to bring yet another gimmick. For all you hardcore gamers out there: Get ready for fucked up controls.

The controller looks awesome, until you realize all the action buttons will be TOUCH SCREEN!!!

This is the page where you can see the full patent:
    http://www.freepatentsonline.com/y2015/0355768.html

The controller will have two pentagonal-shaped holes to either side to insert what appears to be interchangeable thumb sticks (and what I think may become the site for a D-Pad). But there are literally only two areas where you can put these. Which means that you cannot compromise the right thumb stick for action buttons in 3D games, since it is the site for the camera view thumb stick. It also has a site/port for flash memory. And let's not forget it also comes with built in motion sensors .

Let the gimmickness ensue:

What do you think folks? Is this yet another gimmick? Or do you honestly think it the perfect medium for ports of hardcore multiplats?
    Last edited by QuickSciFi; 01-17-2017 at 07:26 PM.

So's your old man! Raging in the Streets zetastrike's Avatar

Who cares? If you don't want to use it, don't buy it. It'll probably be perfect for whatever Mario/Kart/Zelda/Kirby games they put out for it. If you were expecting "hardcore" (whatever that means anymore) multiplats on a Nintendo machine, then you deserve to have your day ruined. I'm not surprised and I couldn't care less.
    Quote Originally Posted by A Black Falcon
    Nope. Bloodlines is the problem, not me. I have no trouble with Super Castlevania IV (SNES) and Dracula X: Rondo of Blood (TCD), and have finished both games. Both of those are outstanding games, among the best platformers of the generation. In comparison Bloodlines is third or fourth tier.

No, it's unbiased analysis. The only fanboyism is people who claim that Hyperstone Heist and Bloodlines are actually as good as their SNES counterparts.
    My Collection: http://vgcollect.com/zetastrike

Banned by Administrators

^ What do you mean what hardcore means? It means a gamers who wants one controller to rule them all. Not another BS controller from Nintendo that makes every Nintendo fan face palm another brick in their face at the stupidity of it all.

So's your old man! Raging in the Streets zetastrike's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Thief View Post
    ^ What do you mean what hardcore means? It means a gamers who wants one controller to rule them all. Not another BS controller from Nintendo that makes every Nintendo fan face palm another brick in their face at the stupidity of it all.
    When I hear "hardcore" all I can think of is some fat slob sitting at his keyboard, judging others for not having the same opinions as him. This is what Nintendo is going with. It with either appeal to people or they'll take another beating like with the Wii U. You don't have to buy it or use it. If you want "hardcore" games, there's the PS4 or Xbone or PC. This is exactly what I expected from them.
    Quote Originally Posted by A Black Falcon
    Nope. Bloodlines is the problem, not me. I have no trouble with Super Castlevania IV (SNES) and Dracula X: Rondo of Blood (TCD), and have finished both games. Both of those are outstanding games, among the best platformers of the generation. In comparison Bloodlines is third or fourth tier.

No, it's unbiased analysis. The only fanboyism is people who claim that Hyperstone Heist and Bloodlines are actually as good as their SNES counterparts.
    My Collection: http://vgcollect.com/zetastrike

Banned by Administrators

^ There's lots of Nintendo fanboys who are very upset with all the stupidity coming out of Nintendo. And they have the right to be upset. As being more hardcore and with Nintendo since NES era then others shouldn't be a reason to be alienated by Nintendo. What kind of stupid marking is that? But whatever, I'm not that crazy over Nintendo. Let Nintendo continue their console race failing that began with SNES until present. Because they'll never learn.

Quote Originally Posted by zetastrike View Post
    Who cares? If you don't want to use it, don't buy it. It'll probably be perfect for whatever Mario/Kart/Zelda/Kirby games they put out for it. If you were expecting "hardcore" (whatever that means anymore) multiplats on a Nintendo machine, then you deserve to have your day ruined. I'm not surprised and I couldn't care less.
    You're adorable.

I'd like to see the new controller design in real life before I make any judgment on it. It may turn out to be a good idea after all, assuming it makes it into production. I accept that the idea may be complete garbage, but until its released (assuming it gets that far) we won't know if its good or not.

When I first saw the Wii I wrongly assumed that the motion controls would cause the console to flop, until almost everyone I knew bought a Wii. Having said that, I was hoping that Nintendo would return to just making a console that went head to head with Xbox and Playstation, but Nintendo seem to want to have their own little gimmick for their consoles.

Comrade as in friend. Master of Shinobi ComradeOj's Avatar

Companies patent things all the time that don't go anywhere. I remember not long ago SEGA patented a controller and everyone freaked out thinking they were making a dreamcast 2.

Still, if this is the NX controller, it looks terrible. It might work as an accessory, but not the main controller.
    Modded consoles:
    Master System (v7040) with s-video & direct AV out
    Model 1 with 10mhz overclock & halt switches
    Model 1 with 10mhz 68010
    Model 2 VA2.3 with unfiltered Mega Amp, & s-video
    Model 3 VA1 with compatibility fixes & s-video
    32X with s-video
    Visit my web site at www.mode5.net
    Or my collection of homebrew Genesis games, programs, and music on SEGA-16!

Stuck in the Past Shining Hero The Jackal's Avatar

Nintendo continue to not learn their lesson and push on with gimmicky tacked on bullshit? Not surprised in the least. At all. Didn't their new CEO say a few weeks ago the NX wasn't going to be a "Wii U 2"? Sure could of fooled me, that's exactly what it will be, if that thing is the controller.

When I hear "hardcore" all I can think of is some fat slob sitting at his keyboard, judging others for not having the same opinions as him. This is what Nintendo is going with. It with either appeal to people or they'll take another beating like with the Wii U. You don't have to buy it or use it. If you want "hardcore" games, there's the PS4 or Xbone or PC. This is exactly what I expected from them.
    I called for "all you hardcore gamers out there." You don't seem to be "some fat slob sitting at his keyboard, judging others for not having the same opinions as him." So go ahead and pat yourself in the back for totally not judging others.

In the mean time, I'll finish this salad while writing this from my phone before I get to the gym.

Quote Originally Posted by Mad Moham View Post
    I'd like to see the new controller design in real life before I make any judgment on it. It may turn out to be a good idea after all, assuming it makes it into production. I accept that the idea may be complete garbage, but until its released (assuming it gets that far) we won't know if its good or not.

When I first saw the Wii I wrongly assumed that the motion controls would cause the console to flop, until almost everyone I knew bought a Wii. Having said that, I was hoping that Nintendo would return to just making a console that went head to head with Xbox and Playstation, but Nintendo seem to want to have their own little gimmick for their consoles.
    With the current state of things, it's impossible for Nintendo to go head to head with Sony and try to defeat them using just a powerful hardware with a standard controller. Sony does that too and it's more popular, has better marketing, more mainstream games, etc. I'm not even sure that Nintendo can even beat Microsoft this way.

So they have to do something gimmicky and different. The Wii would never be able to win the PS3 and 360 if it was a standard, powerful machine like those. They tried that with the Gamecube. It was a standard, powerful console with a standard controller. It ended being what, 3rd place? So they need to differentiate themselves. They need to make a cheap console with a successful gimmick that everyone will want to buy because the PS4 won't be able to do that, so maybe they can sell a lot of systems if people want it along with their PS4s, as a second system. I believe the WiiU failed because it was more expensive than it should be. They need a cheaper gimmick maybe.

Actually making a similar standard console and go head to head with Sony won't work, especially today with Nintendo being less popular than they ever were. Personally, i would prefer a standard console and i don't like gimmicks, Wii was my least favorite Nintendo console. But it doesn't make sense for them and i can see why.

Wildside Expert

people are cute. the hardcore gamer crowd made the same whiny complaints about the Wii and its motion controls and then the console sold over 100 million units.

nintendo does its own thing. sometimes it works out, sometimes it doesn't. one thing's for certain: if they made a 'standard' console like some of you want it would fail horribly against the competition for reasons stated above.

by the way, companies patent stuff all the time, so it's probably better not to jump to conclusions.

Raging in the Streets bultje112's Avatar

the fanboy is strong with this one guys....

Raging in the Streets Yharnamresident's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Soulis View Post
    So they have to do something gimmicky and different. The Wii would never be able to win the PS3 and 360 if it was a standard, powerful machine like those. They tried that with the Gamecube. It was a standard, powerful console with a standard controller. It ended being what, 3rd place? So they need to differentiate themselves. They need to make a cheap console with a successful gimmick that everyone will want to buy because the PS4 won't be able to do that, so maybe they can sell a lot of systems if people want it along with their PS4s, as a second system. I believe the WiiU failed because it was more expensive than it should be. They need a cheaper gimmick maybe.
    Because they screwed up the GameCube too. The purple lunchbox with mini-DVDs.

This controller may force Nintendo out of the console business. The NX was their last chance to make a gimmickless, traditional console.
    Certified F-Zero GX fanboy

I'm noticing some comments regarding the sales of the Wii as though that was all that mattered. It sold this much because Nintendo completely changed the direction they were going and decided to cater to the non-gamer crowd with nothing more than shovelware. This single-handedly tarnished the Nintendo name. A lot of the games on the Wii are still awesome. I wouldn't be here contemplating the actions of Nintendo if there weren't games I still wanted to play for their more recent systems. But most of the people who bought a Wii just stopped playing when their kids grew up and went off to college. It was a "party" console that catered very little to the people who actually played Nintendo games before that, myself included.

Gimmicks are fads and they go away. On the other hand, the hardcore gamers have always been there. With great gimmick, comes great shovelware.

Thread Information