Quantcast

Page 3 of 131 FirstFirst 12345671353103 ... LastLast

Thread: Nintendo Switch (Official Thread)

Master of Shinobi midnightrider's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by zetastrike View Post
    When I hear "hardcore" all I can think of is some fat slob sitting at his keyboard, judging others for not having the same opinions as him.
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nrIPxlFzDi0&t=1m40s

The song really should be titled "Mick Jagger predicts the internet in '65" .

Banned by Administrators

I assure you you always have some questions. But I'm too stoned for that now.

Raging in the Streets Yharnamresident's Avatar

I know a lot of you guys dislike RTU, but this video is really relevant and one of his best:

maybe skip to 5:18
    Certified F-Zero GX fanboy

Antiquing Hedgehog Lord QuickSciFi's Avatar

I enjoy listening to ReviewTechUSA. He is on point on most of his rants.

Banned by Administrators

Hey, yeah. That was a great vid.

Raging in the Streets

The Wii was a success in that Nintendo wanted to make a ton of money and the Wii in fact made a ton of money.

The problem with the Wii's success is that Nintendo suddenly realised that marketable gimmicks can in fact make them a ton of money, however they have since failed to make a marketable gimmick, and their games just aren't fun enough anymore to sell on that alone. There are good games on the Wii U, however most of them aren't by Nintendo.

Grandmaster's Reckoning ESWAT Veteran Knuckle Duster's Avatar

Nintendo is an obtuse toy company that is 10 years behind the competition, without developer support.

They can't compete with a normal, powerful game console. People wouldn't buy it anyway, and those willing to casually drop a few hundred bucks on a simple game appliance are clearly buying PS4 or Xbox One right now. A lot of game enthusiasts have jumped to PC. The NX needs to be a gimmick, and Nintendo needs to find a new way to get their ecosystem into living rooms.

Hopefully they go 3rd party like Sega and their games get released on Steam. That's probably the only way I will ever pay money for Nintendo products.

Like I said, my dream for a next gen system is one that is, both, handheld and home console. When they announced the NX, I was personally stoked bc of the possibility of this feature. And, like with the Wii U, they were also aiming for the hardcore gaming crowd; which, as it turned out, the Wii U did the exact oposite. They are basically promoting the NX as the most powerful gaming console ever. With this controller, I don't see how they can implement it in hardcore games.

Just about the only cool feature is that it has a port for flash memory. Which could be the site for game data entry. That could mean the quasi return to "cartridge gaming" on the console front, albeit in card format. And if they made it possible through the port on the controller, that would be a very cool feature.

Master of Shinobi Hidden_Darkness's Avatar

does this controller patent remind anyone else of the turbo touch 360 for genesis and snes?

Quote Originally Posted by Hidden_Darkness View Post
    does this controller patent remind anyone else of the turbo touch 360 for genesis and snes?
    I can't believe that those controllers had their own commercial.

Having said that, yes now that you've pointed it out, it does look a little like a turbo touch controller.

Quote Originally Posted by azonicrider View Post
    I love it when people bring up the "Wii sold 100 million, gimmicks do work" argument.

The Wii is the only console in history that you can sell to a granny.
    You say this as if it were a bad thing. Which it isn't.

As for the thread topic, why should Nintendo even give a shit about what "hardcore gamers" think about anything? Stuff like Candy Crush Saga is a zillion times more popular than any hardcore game will ever be. There's absolutely no reason for them to waste resources catering to a niche audience that is rapidly becoming completely irrelevant.

Quote Originally Posted by AdamL View Post

As for the thread topic, why should Nintendo even give a shit about what "hardcore gamers" think about anything? Stuff like Candy Crush Saga is a zillion times more popular than any hardcore game will ever be. There's absolutely no reason for them to waste resources catering to a niche audience that is rapidly becoming completely irrelevant.
    You speak out of your ass. Since when has the hardcore gaming crowd become irrelevant? If anything it is a crowd that has exponentially grown. There is a reason why Sony and Microsoft are on the lead on the console front and Nintendo is lagging behind. Why should they care? Because this is the same crowd they catered to from the start. They simply have forgotten that. Who gives a shit about Candy Crush when we're talking about console gaming? Just because everyone has a smart phone or a tablet does not mean the hardcore gaming crowd went elsewhere. That is fucking idiotic.

Core gaming is fine, as it's actually bigger than ever before in the history of this industry.

It's Nintendo who's becoming increasingly irrelevant.

Master of Shinobi Mega Drive Bowlsey's Avatar

The games industry is now larger than both the movie and music industry for the first time in history and is worth astronomic sums of money thanks largely to the hardcore gaming community. Are you seriously suggesting that a proud old games company like Nintendo should stop giving a shit what the main core of the gaming community actually thinks and wants? The same community that put Nintendo on the map in the first place back in the 80's and 90's and made them the success they were? You'll have to explain that logic to me.

Quote Originally Posted by QuickSciFi View Post
    You speak out of your ass. Since when has the hardcore gaming crowd become irrelevant? If anything it is a crowd that has exponentially grown. There is a reason why Sony and Microsoft are on the lead on the console front and Nintendo is lagging behind. Why should they care? Because this is the same crowd they catered to from the start. They simply have forgotten that. Who gives a shit about Candy Crush when we're talking about console gaming? Just because everyone has a smart phone or a tablet does not mean the hardcore gaming crowd went elsewhere. That is fucking idiotic.
    Nintendo didn't cater to hardcore gamers from the start. The NES was clearly marketed as a toy for children that families could casually enjoy together, if anything the Wii was a return to those roots.

Casual games are the present and the future. If Nintendo as a company would like to continue to exist, that's the market that they should be targeting. Traditional consoles might be viable for a while longer, but it seems to me as the market continues to become more homogenized and development costs continue to rise the landscape will just move towards PCs.

I mean, we have so-called hardcore gamers referring to the Wii as a failure when it sold a billion consoles and was home to the best selling single platform game of all time. That's a perfect example as to why Nintendo shouldn't care what those people think...

Thread Information