Quantcast

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Megadrive Homebrew Invasion

Beast of the shadows Nameless One BeastShadow's Avatar

Sega CD Megadrive Homebrew Invasion

Hi guys,

I've been working on putting together a new original megadrive game but whilst I get some designs together I thought I'd write a small test game, just to make sure I have everything I needed.

Anyway I thought it was time to share my progress so far with you.

inv2.jpg inv3.jpg inv4.jpg

Please take a look at my blog for further details, download etc...

http://www.psycatic.com

Cheers,

Phil

Hero of Algol

This is fantastic. Very good for a initial effort, quite surprising I must say.
    I like the clean look of your site/blog, it looks well organized and written. Congrats and thank you for sharing all this with us!

I also loved the approach of the three different versions in one "cart", it's pretty cool. I've quickly tested it on Kega Fusion and it plays fine, hit detection seems pretty spot on.
    I hope you complete it, seriously. Good job!

I also dig your avatar (you'll see my background picture in facebook 'cause I've requested to join your group), good to know that some people still have good taste for games and keep loving the good old Mega Drive.

Regards from Brazil.

Road Rasher

Thanks for sharing this! Makes me happy to know that talented people like yourself are still excited about my beloved Megadrive / Genesis. I know that a lot of time and effort goes into homebrew, and I'm excited to learn more about your future projects. Congrats on a job well done!

Mastering your Systems Shining Hero TmEE's Avatar

This is naiss !
    I like the "meow" LOL
    Death To MP3, :3
    Mida sa loed ? Nagunii aru ei saa "Gnirts test is a shit" New and growing website of total jawusumness !
    If any of my images in my posts no longer work you can find them in "FileDen Dump" on my site ^

Bite my shiny, metal ***! Hero of Algol retrospiel's Avatar

This looks REALLY good!
    The Mega Drive was far inferior to the NES in terms of diffusion rate and sales in the Japanese market, though there were ardent Sega users. But in the US and Europe, we knew Sega could challenge Nintendo. We aimed at dominating those markets, hiring experienced staff for our overseas department in Japan, and revitalising Sega of America and the ailing Virgin group in Europe.

Then we set about developing killer games.

- Hayao Nakayama, Mega Drive Collected Works (p. 17)

Thanks guys for your kind comments. It is really appreciated and will help spur me on with these projects!

The meow was done by my 10 year old daughter who also tests and does some design work.

Long live SEGA 16-bit!

RORRING STAAAAART! Master of Shinobi FuturePrimitive's Avatar

Hey! There's TAITO in my SEGA! I'm a huge TAITO fan, so this is up my alley.

I'm going to give this a shot on my EverDrive-MD v3. What stage would you consider this game to be in as far as completion? I see there's a SEGA CD version as well. Does the CD version have any improvements?

Looking forward to updates!

Reviews in the pipeline:
    Choplifter (Master System and SG-1000)
    Ys: The Vanished Omens with FM Sound Patch!

RORRING STAAAAART! Master of Shinobi FuturePrimitive's Avatar

Works fine on my EverDrive! I like the Psycatic intro. Title music sounds good with some Genesis flair. "Get Ready" and "Game Over" voices are very clear and distinct. The three different versions add variety both in graphic style and some sounds. My favorite is the classic arcade version with the moon background. The "PEW" sound in the modern Majestic Twelve style game is excellent and a total throwback to classic space games.

Gameplay is easier on Invasion compared to arcade Space Invaders with a rapid fire feature instead of timed shots after the moment you shoot an invader. The pace is faster as well. I didn't notice any obvious issues with the game. There's a little bit of slowdown when things get busy.

Can't wait to see new updates for Invasion! It looks promising.
    Last edited by FuturePrimitive; 10-27-2013 at 09:40 PM.

Reviews in the pipeline:
    Choplifter (Master System and SG-1000)
    Ys: The Vanished Omens with FM Sound Patch!

Invasion was done just as a test and as such is nearing the end of its development. I've a few bug fixes, features and improvements, then some tweaking and optimisation so it will probably get another two or three "spit and polish" releases before I consider it version 1.

Next up is test game number two! This is going to be a classic arcade conversion with a twist and I've already written a few routines for that test.

Finally, when the tests are done, work will start on an original game for the SEGA 16 bit platform, this is going to be a top down adventure game. NOT an RPG but more of a dungeon crawler type game with some D&D type elements (anyone remember Castle Ravenskull?) The idea will be to "complete" the game each time you play so the game will use some guided random level generation, it will be a different game every time you play it. I have a design doc in progress.

The final project will be released as free rom/iso downloads but also I intend to release a physical collectors edition on cart and megaCD. It's a big project all in all, so I don't have any deadlines set but I will certainly keep the SEGA-16 community informed of any progress towards that goal.

Version 0.15 is now up on the website, just a few fixes and tweaks, and I finally put a pause in there!

Bite my shiny, metal ***! Hero of Algol retrospiel's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by BeastShadow View Post
    Version 0.15 is now up on the website, just a few fixes and tweaks, and I finally put a pause in there!
    Great! Downloading now! Looking forward to learn more about your new game!
    The Mega Drive was far inferior to the NES in terms of diffusion rate and sales in the Japanese market, though there were ardent Sega users. But in the US and Europe, we knew Sega could challenge Nintendo. We aimed at dominating those markets, hiring experienced staff for our overseas department in Japan, and revitalising Sega of America and the ailing Virgin group in Europe.

Then we set about developing killer games.

- Hayao Nakayama, Mega Drive Collected Works (p. 17)

I stand by all the complements made by the memebers in regards to your work.Loved that intro music.

I'm looking forward for the next level of your work.

Hey, thank you all for you kind comments, that keeps me going!

I though you might like to see my office and development environment so I've posted some pics on Instagram here...

http://instagram.com/psycatic

Oh and there's a new version uploaded, 0.16.

This is an optimisation release and is built using PSY-Q. This version has different backdrops on each level and a few bug fixes too.

Attachment 7906 Attachment 7907 Attachment 7908

YM3438 Master! ESWAT Veteran evildragon's Avatar

Bad attachments.
    Customized Sega Genesis Model 1 - VA3. Energy efficient with buck converters instead of LM7805's.

Thread Information