Quantcast

Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast

Thread: Jo Engine: 2D game engine for the Sega Saturn

WCPO Agent

Announced for 2020. Not effective until 2042

Hedgehog-in-Training Hedgehog-in-TrainingSports Talker Johannes Fetz's Avatar

Hey!

I made a new version of the Jo Engine: http://www.jo-engine.org/download/

You can now create map (of tiles) programmatically and I also made some performance upgrade

Next step: Per-pixel collision

I have a couple things to do on the engine for the community and I'll switch on my Sonic game

It's important to me to share my work in order to let other homebrewer made their own game too.

Btw, now I use Twitter to communicate about the development of JoEngine : https://twitter.com/johannes_fetz

How do you plan to implement per-pixel collision and it not be horribly slow?

Makes me wonder what DIV did... Full blown per-pixel collision, taking into account arbitrary scaling and rotation, without any hardware acceleration and that works happily for things off-screen and regardless of size (except maybe for 32-bit overflow). That's like the holy grail of per-pixel collision o.o; How far do you think you can get with this?

Hi Sik,

In my Sonic demo, I already use per-pixel collision for the ground and it's "fast" (you can see it here https://youtu.be/gV-7cA9_h-4?t=30).

Now, I try to add this feature in a generic and simple way on the Jo Engine.

The algorithm is simple:

1) Use simple and fast Hitbox detection to find "potential collision"
    2) Per-pixel collision (scaling will be supported but not rotating (too slow))

Simple but efficient
    Of course, you have to limited the usage only if it's necessary

Hedgehog-in-Training Hedgehog-in-Training Game Taff's Avatar

I wanna look into this sometime. I mean, where do I even begin? Do I need to use some editor to modify the code and the a compiler? what does it compile in and how can I then turn it into an ISO to be burnt or run on an emulator? Would love to mess about and make something super basic on my favourite console of all time.

Hi Game Taff,

Trust me, it's very simple

You just have to follow the tutorial on my website : http://www.jo-engine.org/tutorial/

When you install The Jo Engine (~120 MB uncompressed), you have everything, to build, create iso and test your homebrew.

Hi,

I've published a new update with some math tools optimized for the Sega Saturn and a new function to get tick count.

Btw, I'm happy to tell you that I've been contacted by multiple homebrewer recently

I think we will see some Sega Saturn homebrews in few weeks

Great work Johannes ! I'm following your (fast) progresses and so far it's really impressive I'm certain it will bring many new developers to the Saturn homebrew community !
    Don't know if you are aware of it, but i'm doing something similar but for the Megadrive with SGDK.
    Can be a source of inspiration if you want (i speak about the API design as the hardware is too much different by itself)

Quote Originally Posted by Stef View Post
    Great work Johannes ! I'm following your (fast) progresses and so far it's really impressive I'm certain it will bring many new developers to the Saturn homebrew community !
    Don't know if you are aware of it, but i'm doing something similar but for the Megadrive with SGDK.
    Can be a source of inspiration if you want (i speak about the API design as the hardware is too much different by itself)
    Thanks Stef !

It's a pleasure to meet someone who is pursuing the same goal.

I'll take a look on your framework this weekend

Stupid thought: ever wondered about having 3D support? (even if as a separate or complement library)

Bite my shiny, metal ***! Hero of Algol retrospiel's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Barone View Post
    This is pretty darn close to what I thought a 2d Sonic on Saturn would have looked like. Kind of sad we had to wait 20+ years to finally see its realization.
    The Mega Drive was far inferior to the NES in terms of diffusion rate and sales in the Japanese market, though there were ardent Sega users. But in the US and Europe, we knew Sega could challenge Nintendo. We aimed at dominating those markets, hiring experienced staff for our overseas department in Japan, and revitalising Sega of America and the ailing Virgin group in Europe.

Then we set about developing killer games.

- Hayao Nakayama, Mega Drive Collected Works (p. 17)

Quote Originally Posted by Sik View Post
    Stupid thought: ever wondered about having 3D support? (even if as a separate or complement library)
    It's on my todo list, but I want to proceed step by step and the 3d part is much more simple to abstract. It's just an OpenGL clone

Quote Originally Posted by retrospiel View Post
    This is pretty darn close to what I thought a 2d Sonic on Saturn would have looked like. Kind of sad we had to wait 20+ years to finally see its realization.
    Yes, it's true, but better late than never

Hi,

I have too much requests for 3D support so I will start to implement it in 2 weeks

Hedgehog-in-Training Hedgehog-in-TrainingSports Talker Manveru's Avatar

Congratulations! great project and fast progress. Someday when Mega Drive gives me a break, i will give it a try.
    I fell in love with Mega drive in 1991. Now programing for it...

Thread Information