Quantcast

Page 12 of 12 FirstFirst ... 289101112

Thread: Classic Gaming Quarterly takes a look back at the NA launch of the Sega Saturn.

Grandmaster's Reckoning ESWAT Veteran Knuckle Duster's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Team Andromeda View Post
    Not what I said at all. After the 360 launched it hard time out selling the PS2 ( a system more than 5 years old) in most of Europe and even the PS2 in the USA. In fact the 360 1st year sales numbers weren't that great at all. And MS too had to cut its price to try and get better sales .
    You're comparing a discounted, 5 year old console saturated with games. One of the top selling consoles of all time...to an underdog Xbox 360 launch. As if it says anything about the 360, a higher priced next gen console that just launched.

Stupid comparison. It doesn't defend the PS3 position either. "$599 US Dollars."

SONY losses were more than just the PS3 I think you'll find. SONY lost out big time with the move to LCD TV's (where it was slow to move on to the jump for LCD) and its mobile phone arm cost it a fortune and I'm not sure if its Computer sector ever made real money (no wonder they sold it off) . PS3 did make huge losses at the start, but some 4 years in it was able to sell the PS3 not cost price, but at a profit and of course the PS3 helped SONY win the format war too,
    Playstation lost all the money it made. Not "SONY" as a whole, the Playstation division was wrecked by the PS3 and the company was already on life support across the board.

That's because it was . After Sonic Mega Drive sales hit insane numbers and also because Sonic is the best selling MD game of all time .
    Yes. Be sure to thank Tom for leading the company to include it with the hardware and get those sales numbers up.

You're comparing a discounted, 5 year old console saturated with games. One of the top selling consoles of all time...to an underdog Xbox 360 launch
    I'm just saying the way it was. I highly doubt that the SEGA Genesis old out the NES by a massive amount in month sales back in 89.

Playstation lost all the money it made
    I think it's on the record that the SONY mobile side cost it the most money in losses . Then you had SONY getting hammered in TV sales and its PC divisions also posting massive losses . It wasn't just the PS side of things and at least the PS3 made sure SONY won the format war with BluRay and made money with the online and game side of things

Stupid comparison. It doesn't defend the PS3 position either. "$599 US Dollars.
    It called the way it was and SONY PS3 came in $499 and still sold millions in its 1st year, even with a Saturn busting price tag too . Nice one TOM
    Last edited by Team Andromeda; 01-18-2016 at 02:07 PM.
    Panzer Dragoon Zwei is
    one of the best 3D shooting games available
    Presented for your pleasure

Sega of Japan couldn't even get the Mega-Drive out of 3rd place in its own country
    No but it made the Saturn be number 1 in its own country for 2 plus years . Unlike Tom and his SOA chums who totally cocked up the 32 Bit battle Actually forget SOA and SOJ. It was SEGA that did the best being number 1 with both the Master System and Mega Drive, nice work lads .

Sony announced that they were going to release their 16-bit version of the Play Station in 1993.
    Not that be the 32 Bit version and Sony Japan went it along after 1992 . No deals with SEGA at any stage and the one corp that could have had the PS chipset said no and on your bike . Thanks for nothing NCL
    Panzer Dragoon Zwei is

I'm just saying the way it was. I highly doubt that the SEGA Genesis old out the NES by a massive amount in month sales back in 89.
    With no relevant point other than to imply the Genesis or Xbox 360 were somehow of a weaker standing in your argument.

I think it's on the record that the SONY mobile side cost it the most money in losses . Then you had SONY getting hammered in TV sales and its PC divisions also posting massive losses . It wasn't just the PS side of things and at least the PS3 made sure SONY won the format war with BluRay and made money with the online and game side of things
    Sony lost a lot of money. With the PS3 life cycle, Sony's Playstation brand lost a lot of money on it's own, and more than what the Playstation brand earned since it's inception. It was a cost bloated monster, and using your same bullshit logic that discredits Tom Kalinske, we might as well say fuck you to Ken Kutaragi.

You're just one of those retarded history revisionists, chipping away at Kalinske's achievements because of what might have happened if he wasn't there with the Genesis, definitively pointing out at the total failings of the Saturn, without accepting that it was blown away by SOJ interference in the beginning, and Bernie Stolar's bombshell abandonment in the end.

Almost every thread you jump into on these forums has been swamped with the same bullshit, trying to railroad points that make no sense to anybody but yourself. Talking to you in person would likely be a tedious exercise in tolerating bias and selective hearing.

With no relevant point other than to imply the Genesis or Xbox 360
    The point being that , most consoles take a time to start selling in really high numbers just after launch. So why people expected it to be so different with the Saturn or PS is quite beyond me .

Sony lost a lot of money
    It did. But I think the biggest losses came from the SONY Mobile side . SONY PS3 side was able to reports profits over it's life time and the PS3 won the BluRay war which is doing very well for SONY.

we might as well say fuck you to Ken Kutaragi
    I think SONY did.

You're just one of those retarded history revisionists
    Try I'm just saying the way it was and is . Tom did a lot of good, but a lot of bad too and he totally called it wrong about the 32 Bit battle
    Panzer Dragoon Zwei is

So does anybody else see how this asshole is cherry picking and trimming his quotes, so they lose their context, which already address his rebuttle?

Constant troll baiting.

End of line.. Hero of Algol gamevet's Avatar

Try I'm just saying the way it was and is . Tom did a lot of good, but a lot of bad too and he totally called it wrong about the 32 Bit battle
    Tom had very little, if any, input about how Sega could compete in the 32-bit battle. It's so obvious, unless you're looking for a way to paint the guy as a liar. He gracefully exits from his position as CEO of SOA and remains on the board until June of 1996, just 13 months after the surprise launch of the Saturn in North America. The founder of the company (David Rosen) is so disgusted with the poor management from SOJ, that he steps down from the board of directors, after Tom's resignation. SOJ was solely responsible for how the Saturn was handled and that burden was dropped upon the North American and European markets. *See attached quote below from page 508 of "The Ultimate History of Videogames."*

No but it made the Saturn be number 1 in its own country for 2 plus years . Unlike Tom and his SOA chums who totally cocked up the 32 Bit battle Actually forget SOA and SOJ. It was SEGA that did the best being number 1 with both the Master System and Mega Drive, nice work lads.
    And you're calling Tom Kalinske a liar?

Japan was feeling the heat from Playstation in Japan; that's why they had Tom launch the Saturn in May of 1995. They were hoping to get a leap on Sony. The Saturn was not the #1 console in Japan for a solid 2 years. The 1st year saw the PlayStation and Saturn going neck and neck until the Saturn got Virtua Fighter 2. Sega maintained a lead from the end of 1995 to the beginning of 1997 (less than 15 months), when the PlayStation took the lead for good and never looked back.

Not that be the 32 Bit version and Sony Japan went it along after 1992 . No deals with SEGA at any stage and the one corp that could have had the PS chipset said no and on your bike . Thanks for nothing NCL
    Kicky, go bang, bang, fast?
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by gamevet; 01-18-2016 at 07:43 PM.
    A Black Falcon: no, computer games and video games are NOT the same thing. Video games are on consoles, computer games are on PC. The two kinds of games are different, and have significantly different design styles, distribution methods, and game genre selections. Computer gaming and console (video) gaming are NOT the same thing."

Tom had very little, if any, input about how Sega could compete in the 32-bit battle. It's so obvious, unless you're looking for a way to paint the guy as a liar
    He's just a sales man . But listen to Tom he could have had the PS chipset and all these other wonderful deals( when that was never ever the case that SEGA could have had the PS chipset) . And you take way SONIC and Mega Drive sales would have been nothing like they were . Compare Mega Drives to when Tom 1st took over SOA, to when Sonic launched.

Japan was feeling the heat from Playstation in Japan; that's why they had Tom launch the Saturn in May of 1995
    Huh In Japan the SEGA Saturn was smashing the PS for sales in 1994 and all of 1995 and most of 1996 I think you'll find . The heat was coming when SEGA West great dream of the 32X being the mass market leader turned out to be a total fad and a bit of a flop. The trouble was Tom and SEGA America didn't have a back up plan; they never factor in that the 32X wouldn't take off and wouldn't be anything other than a sales monster and that was at the expense of the Saturn and getting software ready for it .

But even then SEGA America made needless screw ups . Why redesign the pad, why go with those God awful SEGA CD cases instead of the standard CD jewel case, why go in May when the next month you had Bug and the likes of Virtual Remix ready to go, never mind in June to have packed Clockwork Knight 1 and II (with the much better sequel finished in June) as a single game (like the original plan for the game) and in June all those games were finished and ready to go. Not great but still in a lot better shape to launch in June or July.

So does anybody else see how this asshole is cherry picking and trimming his quote
    More insults , thought it was me that was meant to do that (another lie on here) . And I'm not cheery picking at all. Just answering the questions more often than not with facts and looking back at what happened over the history of consoles , which you supporters of TOM don't to like.
    Panzer Dragoon Zwei is

Thread Information