Quantcast

Page 2 of 12 FirstFirst 123456 ... LastLast
Results 16 to 30 of 173

Thread: Classic Gaming Quarterly takes a look back at the NA launch of the Sega Saturn.

  1. #16
    End of line.. Hero of Algol gamevet's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Location
    Dallas, Texas
    Posts
    8,255
    Rep Power
    119

    Default

    You do know that Olaf and SOA had a good relationship?

    The SNES based PlayStation prototype that was recently discovered, was in the hands of Olaf, and was supposed to have been destroyed along with all the other units.

    Sony Imagesoft was publishing games for the Sega CD and they did so with help from Sega.

    http://www.usgamer.net/articles/sega...p-on-a-console
    A Black Falcon: no, computer games and video games are NOT the same thing. Video games are on consoles, computer games are on PC. The two kinds of games are different, and have significantly different design styles, distribution methods, and game genre selections. Computer gaming and console (video) gaming are NOT the same thing."



  2. #17
    Bite my shiny, metal ***! Hero of Algol retrospiel's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Location
    Cologne, FRG
    Posts
    7,816
    Rep Power
    91

    Default

    That's not what I said though. I said that Kalinske was naive to let Sony in on their strategies when Sony obviously were merely looking for a third party developer with good brand recognition for their own hardware.
    The Mega Drive was far inferior to the NES in terms of diffusion rate and sales in the Japanese market, though there were ardent Sega users. But in the US and Europe, we knew Sega could challenge Nintendo. We aimed at dominating those markets, hiring experienced staff for our overseas department in Japan, and revitalising Sega of America and the ailing Virgin group in Europe.

    Then we set about developing killer games.

    - Hayao Nakayama, Mega Drive Collected Works (p. 17)

  3. #18
    End of line.. Hero of Algol gamevet's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Location
    Dallas, Texas
    Posts
    8,255
    Rep Power
    119

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by retrospiel View Post
    That's not what I said though. I said that Kalinske was naive to let Sony in on their strategies when Sony obviously were merely looking for a third party developer with good brand recognition for their own hardware.
    And how does any of that make the creator of the video wrong?

    Sega of America and Sony were working together on games for the CD format and ideas for how to use the tech. Nowhere does he say in the video that the proposed hardware from Olaf and SOA was ever built.
    A Black Falcon: no, computer games and video games are NOT the same thing. Video games are on consoles, computer games are on PC. The two kinds of games are different, and have significantly different design styles, distribution methods, and game genre selections. Computer gaming and console (video) gaming are NOT the same thing."



  4. #19
    ESWAT Veteran Team Andromeda's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Location
    Wales, UK
    Posts
    5,088
    Rep Power
    55

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by gamevet View Post
    You do know that Olaf and SOA had a good relationship?

    The SNES based PlayStation prototype that was recently discovered, was in the hands of Olaf, and was supposed to have been destroyed along with all the other units.
    Makes zero difference. Sony America never ever had a hardware division, It was SONY Japan that called the R&D shots and developed all the Hardware and SONY Japan was locked into an 'exclusive' deal with NCL and the Snes CD Drive . And speaking of Olaf you do know he left SONY America after a huge bust up with SONY Japan and the pricing of the American PS (which SONY Japan were not happy with) . Tom can lie and spin all he wants, he cocked up and call the 32Bit war all wrong at the end of the day and I just wished he was more honest about it
    Panzer Dragoon Zwei is
    one of the best 3D shooting games available
    Presented for your pleasure

  5. #20
    End of line.. Hero of Algol gamevet's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Location
    Dallas, Texas
    Posts
    8,255
    Rep Power
    119

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Team Andromeda View Post
    Makes zero difference. Sony America never ever had a hardware division, It was SONY Japan that called the R&D shots and developed all the Hardware and SONY Japan was locked into an 'exclusive' deal with NCL and the Snes CD Drive . And speaking of Olaf you do know he left SONY America after a huge bust up with SONY Japan and the pricing of the American PS (which SONY Japan were not happy with) . Tom can lie and spin all he wants, he cocked up and call the 32Bit war all wrong at the end of the day and I just wished he was more honest about it
    Did you watch the video, or read the article? None of that had to do with Olaf and SOA proposing the idea to Sony of Japan. It was Sega of Japan that rejected the idea, not Sony of Japan.
    A Black Falcon: no, computer games and video games are NOT the same thing. Video games are on consoles, computer games are on PC. The two kinds of games are different, and have significantly different design styles, distribution methods, and game genre selections. Computer gaming and console (video) gaming are NOT the same thing."



  6. #21
    ESWAT Veteran Team Andromeda's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Location
    Wales, UK
    Posts
    5,088
    Rep Power
    55

    Default

    Did you watch the video, or read the article? None of that had to do with Olaf and SOA proposing the idea to Sony of Japan. It was Sega of Japan that rejected the idea, not Sony of Japan
    SEGA Japan never ever had any dealings with SONY or were ever offered SONY Japan Hardware. True to say they were offered 3DO tech and were 'meant' to be just a hand shake away from being a 3DO M2 developer, were offered the N64 chipset and also the Lynx Hardware too . SEGA Japan were totally caught off guard with the PS chipset and to rush out Saturn improved spec's to try and catch up. If SEGA were offered the SONY chipset 1) they would have kown that SONY was looking to be serious player and 2) what tech were needed to beat SONY Hardware .

    SEGA America and Sony America could talk all they want . SONY Japan was locked into a deal with NCL and when that fell through decided to go alone
    Panzer Dragoon Zwei is
    one of the best 3D shooting games available
    Presented for your pleasure

  7. #22
    End of line.. Hero of Algol gamevet's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Location
    Dallas, Texas
    Posts
    8,255
    Rep Power
    119

    Default

    The Sony chipset is a totally different subject.

    What was being talked about was the relationship that Kalinski and Olaf had when it came to designing Sega's next console and how they could work together. It was never about Olaf coming up with the final design for the PlayStation. This was just one of the many different proposals by Kalinski to SOJ, that got shot down by them.

    As far as I know, Olaf's company was brought in to create hardware and software for Sony's CD add-on. It was when that fell through that he started talking to Sega about a new console.
    Last edited by gamevet; 12-27-2015 at 04:43 PM.
    A Black Falcon: no, computer games and video games are NOT the same thing. Video games are on consoles, computer games are on PC. The two kinds of games are different, and have significantly different design styles, distribution methods, and game genre selections. Computer gaming and console (video) gaming are NOT the same thing."



  8. #23
    Hero of Algol TrekkiesUnite118's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2010
    Age
    31
    Posts
    8,097
    Rep Power
    121

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Team Andromeda View Post
    SEGA Japan never ever had any dealings with SONY or were ever offered SONY Japan Hardware. True to say they were offered 3DO tech and were 'meant' to be just a hand shake away from being a 3DO M2 developer, were offered the N64 chipset and also the Lynx Hardware too . SEGA Japan were totally caught off guard with the PS chipset and to rush out Saturn improved spec's to try and catch up. If SEGA were offered the SONY chipset 1) they would have kown that SONY was looking to be serious player and 2) what tech were needed to beat SONY Hardware .

    SEGA America and Sony America could talk all they want . SONY Japan was locked into a deal with NCL and when that fell through decided to go alone
    Weren't you one of the ones here for years saying that was just a Rumor and that the Saturn's specs were well known and set in stone well before Sony's specs were unveiled?

  9. #24
    Bite my shiny, metal ***! Hero of Algol retrospiel's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Location
    Cologne, FRG
    Posts
    7,816
    Rep Power
    91

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by gamevet View Post
    It was Sega of Japan that rejected the idea, not Sony of Japan.
    If there was a hardware involved it would have been the PlayStation and Sega would have ended up a third party developer. - Why would they agree to that? They were at the height of their success. They had worked 10 years to got to the point where they were.
    The Mega Drive was far inferior to the NES in terms of diffusion rate and sales in the Japanese market, though there were ardent Sega users. But in the US and Europe, we knew Sega could challenge Nintendo. We aimed at dominating those markets, hiring experienced staff for our overseas department in Japan, and revitalising Sega of America and the ailing Virgin group in Europe.

    Then we set about developing killer games.

    - Hayao Nakayama, Mega Drive Collected Works (p. 17)

  10. #25
    End of line.. Hero of Algol gamevet's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Location
    Dallas, Texas
    Posts
    8,255
    Rep Power
    119

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by retrospiel View Post
    If there was a hardware involved it would have been the PlayStation and Sega would have ended up a third party developer. - Why would they agree to that? They were at the height of their success. They had worked 10 years to got to the point where they were.
    Again, your opinion of that idea does not make what was said in that video wrong. Kalinski saw hardware as a loss, and a means to sell software. His proposal was that Sony would help pay for hardware costs and that Sega would get all the benefits of being a 1st party publisher. SOJ shot that down though.
    A Black Falcon: no, computer games and video games are NOT the same thing. Video games are on consoles, computer games are on PC. The two kinds of games are different, and have significantly different design styles, distribution methods, and game genre selections. Computer gaming and console (video) gaming are NOT the same thing."



  11. #26
    ESWAT Veteran Team Andromeda's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Location
    Wales, UK
    Posts
    5,088
    Rep Power
    55

    Default

    What was being talked about was the relationship that Kalinski and Olaf had when it came to designing Sega's next console and how they could work together
    Sigh... Sony America could talk all it wants SONY Japan does all the Hardware R&D inthe 90's the only corp it ever did a deal with was NCL . Now if it was SONY Japan and SEGA America talking that would be really different.

    Weren't you one of the ones here for years saying that was just a Rumor and that the Saturn's specs were well known and set in stone wel
    Basic Saturn tech spec's we not changed much in terms of 5 background planes , 32 channels of sound and a Hitachi CPU running at 27 Mhz . Adding in 2 SH-2 CPU's were not part of the plan and SEGA's reaction to the SONY spec's
    Panzer Dragoon Zwei is
    one of the best 3D shooting games available
    Presented for your pleasure

  12. #27
    Bite my shiny, metal ***! Hero of Algol retrospiel's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Location
    Cologne, FRG
    Posts
    7,816
    Rep Power
    91

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by gamevet View Post
    [Kalinske's] proposal was that Sony would help pay for hardware costs and that Sega would get all the benefits of being a 1st party publisher.
    Translation: Sega should help paying for Sony's hardware.

    Again: Why would SOJ agree to that? It did NOT work for Nintendo earlier and in 1993 Sega were at the very height of their success. They worked ten years for this.


    Quote Originally Posted by Team Andromeda View Post
    Adding in 2 SH-2 CPU's were not part of the plan and SEGA's reaction to the SONY spec's
    32X uses the same setup so this seems unlikely.
    The Mega Drive was far inferior to the NES in terms of diffusion rate and sales in the Japanese market, though there were ardent Sega users. But in the US and Europe, we knew Sega could challenge Nintendo. We aimed at dominating those markets, hiring experienced staff for our overseas department in Japan, and revitalising Sega of America and the ailing Virgin group in Europe.

    Then we set about developing killer games.

    - Hayao Nakayama, Mega Drive Collected Works (p. 17)

  13. #28
    Hero of Algol TrekkiesUnite118's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2010
    Age
    31
    Posts
    8,097
    Rep Power
    121

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Team Andromeda View Post

    Basic Saturn tech spec's we not changed much in terms of 5 background planes , 32 channels of sound and a Hitachi CPU running at 27 Mhz . Adding in 2 SH-2 CPU's were not part of the plan and SEGA's reaction to the SONY spec's
    But this was known as early as January of 1994 as Sega of America was inspired to use it in the 32X's design...

  14. #29
    ESWAT Veteran Team Andromeda's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Location
    Wales, UK
    Posts
    5,088
    Rep Power
    55

    Default

    Why would SOJ agree to that? It did NOT work for Nintendo earlier and in 1993 Sega were at the very height of their success
    Tom lies and spin you mean . You really think SONY Japan would take all the Hardware losses itself ?. Sorry SONY wanted the software profits too and that's what NCL didn't like . And you prove to me where SONY Japan (not SONY America) offered SEGA the PS chipset. Lets remember the great Tom said that only the 32X was massmarket not the PS or Saturn . Let's remember Tom 2 page letter prasing the Saturn power how SEGA made the best games and how SEGA would win the 32 Bit war . The lies and bullshit that comes out of this man mouth makes Trip Hawkins look like a saint .

    32X uses the same setup so this seems unlikely
    SEGA Saturn 1st ever leaked tech spec's was of one CPU, only after the news of the PSX was the Saturn down to have 2 SH-2's. SEGA Japan insiders also say the VDP 1 was improved too
    Panzer Dragoon Zwei is
    one of the best 3D shooting games available
    Presented for your pleasure

  15. #30
    ESWAT Veteran Team Andromeda's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Location
    Wales, UK
    Posts
    5,088
    Rep Power
    55

    Default

    But this was known as early as January of 1994 as Sega of America was inspired to use it in the 32X's design
    Long before that time the likes of EDGE was reporting of SONY new multi media machine/console. In fact SONY held a press conf in December 1993 to tell the world of the PS-X
    Panzer Dragoon Zwei is
    one of the best 3D shooting games available
    Presented for your pleasure

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •