Quantcast

Page 1 of 12 1234511 ... LastLast

Thread: What if the Saturn was never released and it was up to the 32X?

32X What if the Saturn was never released and it was up to the 32X?

I apologize if this topic has come up before, I'm curious though.

Let's say Sega realized they screwed up bad by releasing the 32X and decided to scrap the Saturn just because they were now stuck with the 32X. They force Sega of Japan to scrap the Saturn as well. What would've happened if Sega allowed game developers to use the 32X hardware to its fullest? Could it have produced some significant 32-bit games? Obviously it was no Saturn, but wasn't its hardware not that bad? It also had the option of using Sega CD that could've allowed for bigger games with more textures and cut-scenes. Could the 32X have actually even stood up to the PS1 and N64? Or am I grasping at straws here and overestimating the 32X's capabilities?

I will admit that I'm not a fan of the Saturn, never played the console other then a little bit of Nights, but I've played the 32X plenty so this is just my bias opinion and curiosity on the 'what if the 32X was Sega's only 32-bit console'.
    Last edited by roadkill; 02-24-2016 at 09:06 AM.

They force Japan to scrap the Saturn? I get what you are trying to say, but that would never have happened. Didn't SOJ actually NOT want the Super 32x?

Sega of America's Tom kalinske went through sega of japans's R&D and saw it in 93 and he never liked it from the beginning. From my understanding Sega of Japan had not intentions of releasing them so close together. The rumor of Playstation getting released soon caused sega of japan to make sega of America release the saturn early. The surprise saturn release pissed everyone off from developers to retailers. I think it was at this point EA decided because they released 32x and Saturn so close together Sega was now incompetent, so they jumped ship and never made games for sega again.

So was the saturn more powerful then the 32x? I think so. But whether only just 32x or just the saturn getting released it would have been way more successful then they ended up being in my opinion by releasing both within 6 months.

But If sega of america had its way in 93...we would be probably playing the sega playstation 4 right now. But sega of japan didnt want it.
    Last edited by NRGS; 01-27-2016 at 03:15 PM.

I was giving it some more thought, from my understanding also that the saturn early on was designed to be 2d system. At the last minute they decided to make changes to compete with the play station, they threw in another processor and made the system a bitch to program for.

But was the 32x given the same after thought? It does have the same processors as the saturn only slower clock speed?

Boy sega of Japan really %*@^ed that up, they should have just gave the reins of the company to Kalinske in America...
    Last edited by NRGS; 01-27-2016 at 03:42 PM.

The Gaming Gangsta Master of Shinobi profholt82's Avatar

Yeah, well, what if great white sharks had lasers attached to their heads and could breathe on land, and then they consolidated their power and formed a super alliance with other sharks, and then zombie Jacques Cousteau came back from the dead and used his superior abilities of communicating with sea creatures to persuade the sharks into forming an army to serve under zombie Napoleon whom he raised from the dead so that he could rule all of the sharks like a supreme zombie overlord, and then they took over the world with the power of their laser-wielding army of shark minions all in the name of the French monarch?

Raging in the Streets xelement5x's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by NRGS View Post
    Sega of America's Tom kalinske went through sega of japans's R&D and saw it in 93 and he never liked it from the beginning. From my understanding Sega of Japan had not intentions of releasing them so close together. The rumor of Playstation getting released soon caused sega of japan to make sega of America release the saturn early. The surprise saturn release pissed everyone off from developers to retailers. I think it was at this point EA decided because they released 32x and Saturn so close together Sega was now incompetent, so they jumped ship and never made games for sega again.

So was the saturn more powerful then the 32x? I think so. But whether only just 32x or just the saturn getting released it would have been way more successful then they ended up being in my opinion by releasing both within 6 months.

But If sega of america had its way in 93...we would be probably playing the sega playstation 4 right now. But sega of japan didnt want it.
    EA made games for the Saturn through its lifespan. They would have made games for the Dreamcast as well if they could have gotten exclusivity for sports titles on the system, but Sega had just dumped a ton of money into buying the studio that made the 2K games and they couldn't afford to guarantee the exclusivity.
    Quote Originally Posted by StarMist View Post
    A spine card is the hymen of a new game assuring its first owner that he is truly her one and only, and of a used game assuring its new owner that whilst she has been played with in the past that play has never been too careless or thorough.

Quote Originally Posted by roadkill View Post
    what if the 32X was Sega's only 32-bit console
    Sega would have been laughed out of the business as PS1 and N64 came in to wipe them off the map. I don't think anyone would have wanted to seriously support a minor peripheral sutured to a device that would have seemed like an absolute dinosaur by the time of the 5th generation.

Which is funny, because that's exactly what happened to the 32x in real life.

Quote Originally Posted by xelement5x View Post
    EA made games for the Saturn through its lifespan. They would have made games for the Dreamcast as well if they could have gotten exclusivity for sports titles on the system, but Sega had just dumped a ton of money into buying the studio that made the 2K games and they couldn't afford to guarantee the exclusivity.
    Apparently I had a brain fart, i knew they made games for saturn but something i read or watched on you tube lately made me think otherwise.

I have been reading the console wars book and watching a bunch of video game history videos..

Ether way my bad.

Framemeister Expert Hedgehog-in-TrainingOutrunner Tower of Power's Avatar

I love the 32X, I don't think it gets nearly enough credit, but there's no way it could have taken on the PlayStation and the N64. It's 3D capabilities are just too weak, and at that time is was allll about 3D (even though the 3D was really primitive). MAYBE if Sega had released the 32X as the standalone Neptune with Genesis BC, added a CD drive, and also considerably souped up the hardware.

Raging in the Streets

Honestly, is there anything even impressive about the 32X? Like i've played some 32X games and honestly they look marginally better than Megadrive games and sound about the same.

Virtua Racing Deluxe and Virtua Fighter are probably the only two titles i've ever seen where I think oh wow that isn't a Megadrive game.

From what I remember reading, the 32x wasn't designed to be a next gen system but from the idea to make the Sega Genesis still relevant through an expensive add on instead enhanced cartridges like Virtua Racing. In relation to the Japanese/US Sega relationship back then, the 32x promoted more by the US Sega offices as the system was more popular in the west than in Japan and wanted it the Genesis to be successful. The 32x had no chance due to the state of affairs between Japan and US Sega offices, the disarray of Sega platforms, and rushed holiday release making the 32x lineup poor on average due to games like Doom and Motocross Championship. If the 32x more affordable, practical, and/or released year or two earlier before the 5th generation, maybe it would have done better but it still wouldn't have fix the management issue with the two Sega offices.

The 32X was always to little to late IMO. The price was to high and the software was very lackluster and Nintendo had just released DKC which was arguably one of the greatest releases in the history of gaming at least for Nintendo. And it also seems that Sega took all of 6 months to design and release the software and you can tell the process wasn't well thought out neither.
    Quote Originally Posted by Zoltor View Post
    Japan on the other hand is in real danger, if Japanese men don't start liking to play with their woman, more then them selves, experts calculated the Japanese will be extinct within 300 years.

Framemeister Expert Hedgehog-in-TrainingOutrunner Tower of Power's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Gogogadget View Post
    Honestly, is there anything even impressive about the 32X? Like i've played some 32X games and honestly they look marginally better than Megadrive games and sound about the same.

Virtua Racing Deluxe and Virtua Fighter are probably the only two titles i've ever seen where I think oh wow that isn't a Megadrive game.
    Well, the 32X was decently impressive for it's time. You had much higher color output than Genesis, improved sound hardware, sprite scaling and rotation, etc. But what we actually saw?

It depends on the developer. Obviously, all we ever saw was first generation software, so no one knows the true limits of the 32X. It's important to understand that the 32X is literally a Genesis add on. As in, it uses the Genesis hardware, and adds on stuff on top of there. Many games were just lazily done where they took the Genesis version, and added new sprites and maybe a couple sound channels. Literally Genesis add on.

I think Blackthorne is the only game that really shows off the 2D and sound capabilities. I don't think that's using the Genesis at all.

Nonconformist Hedgehog-in-TrainingWCPO Agent EyeDeeNo76's Avatar

I think I would rather of had a 32-bit cartridge base Saturn than a disk base system. I love the no loading screen/time of the ROM cartridge. Now... how do I stop Sega from starting on or thinking of Project Mars and releasing the Sega 32X and put their efforts in to the 32-bit cartridge base Sega Saturn?
    Last edited by EyeDeeNo76; 01-28-2016 at 10:19 AM. Reason: correcting my stupid spelling ☹

Super Robot Raging in the Streets Obviously's Avatar

I would love to live in the radical 90's-themed alternate future where the 32X won the 5th generation console war.

I think they no doubt could have milked more out of the hardware if it had been a moderate success but I don't think it ever had a chance of standing up to its competition.

Thread Information