Quantcast

Page 12 of 12 FirstFirst ... 289101112

Thread: What if the Saturn was never released and it was up to the 32X?

Road Rasher

A world without the Saturn would have been interesting. My experience with the console itself was largely negative, though I certainly did love its games. (Now that I think I can pin my difficulties down on bad power, maybe I'll try renovating a Saturn from eBay and see if a different, somewhat cleaner power source makes any difference. A UPS would certainly be worth considering too for the Saturn, if it really is bad power.)

IMO the 32X would have to be more than it was, in order to fill the shoes of the Saturn. The Neptune would have been a much more plausible flag-carrier, especially if it were released at a much lower price than the PlayStation and boned up a little in the end. Whereas the PlayStation and Saturn had to build their libraries from scratch, Neptune would have enjoyed an enormous library from the start being able to run Genesis and Master System games.

The hardware really is a secondary point in all of this. You had a team in California who tried to make decisions based on business and marketing evaluation, and one in Japan that made them without ANY evaluation. The 32X was something that Kalinske wanted simply to stop the bleeding thanks to SNES games. However, I think his mistake was assuming that developers could program and release games on it in a timely fashion. Particularly with zero help from Sega Japan. I think Neptune would have sold okay, since it would have played both 16 and 32 bit games. It would certainly have been a better buy than the Genesis 3! Eventually Saturn was going to be released. Kalinske knew the future was CD-gaming.

Road Rasher

Yeah, I just figured that in a non-Saturn world, the 32X would have to be more than it was. Ultimately the bifurcated internal politics and lack of communication were the biggest nails in the coffin.

And I agree Neptune would have sold fairly well if they managed to keep the price down. It'd probably be a bit much to ask for a CD-drive with it though, because they'd either have to integrate the whole Sega CD plus 32X and Genesis, or go with a non-Sega CD compatible solution. Still, a relatively cheap Neptune would have made it harder for Sony to make inroads in the Western market, as Sega already held considerable market share there.
    Last edited by Eep386; 12-05-2017 at 02:38 PM. Reason: I realized what integrating a CD into Neptune would imply... duhhh

Nameless One

Quote Originally Posted by Eep386 View Post
    Yeah, I just figured that in a non-Saturn world, the 32X would have to be more than it was. Ultimately the bifurcated internal politics and lack of communication were the biggest nails in the coffin.

And I agree Neptune would have sold fairly well if they managed to keep the price down. It'd probably be a bit much to ask for a CD-drive with it though, because they'd either have to integrate the whole Sega CD plus 32X and Genesis, or go with a non-Sega CD compatible solution. Still, a relatively cheap Neptune would have made it harder for Sony to make inroads in the Western market, as Sega already held considerable market share there.
    While a cart-based Neptune is certainly more realistic, the problem I see is selling high-priced carts against less expensive PSX games in 1995/1996. People were willing to pay money for N64 carts because the system offered a level of 3D that wasn't available elsewhere, but on the Neptune you'd be paying more and getting less.

Road Rasher

Perhaps, but look on the bright side: cartridge media at least ensures the Neptune won't be getting any Dingo Pictures cartoons. XD

Systemwars vs Sega-16 Master of Shinobi gamegenie's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Mega Drive Bowlsey View Post
    I must say when it comes to knowledge of specs and gaming tech so many of you guys impress the hell out of me. I don't get involved in such debates as it's way over my head but I know enough to know that Sega damaged their reputation by releasing the 32X so close to the launch of the Saturn. It was utterly unnecessary, unlike the Mega CD which had a definite purpose and a great library of games to boot.
    yet SEGA bled red due to the Saturn and not the 32X. SEGA priced the Saturn out of the market against the PlayStation. That is truly what killed SEGA, and this method of overpricing your system WE KNOW THROUGH History does affect a consoles success.

SONY made this mistake with the PS3 with it's launch price, giving Microsoft one minor victory with the 360.
    Then Microsoft made this mistake with the Xbox One, giving SONY a returned success with the PS4 .
    "Fires of purgatory, coalesce and incinerate my enemies."

End of line.. ESWAT Veteran gamevet's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by gamegenie View Post
    yet SEGA bled red due to the Saturn and not the 32X. SEGA priced the Saturn out of the market against the PlayStation. That is truly what killed SEGA, and this method of overpricing your system WE KNOW THROUGH History does affect a consoles success.
    I can't see how the 32X wasn't a lost investment for Sega. The R&D behind the hardware design and software, along with creating the manufacturing for the unit certainly would have costed quite a lot. You also had expensive carts that were sitting in bargain bins for several years after its release.

SONY made this mistake with the PS3 with it's launch price, giving Microsoft one minor victory with the 360.
    Then Microsoft made this mistake with the Xbox One, giving SONY a returned success with the PS4 .
    The PS3 and 360 were both expensive to manufacture, but the inclusion of the Cell processor and a Blu-Ray drive drove up the costs of a PS3 beyond $1,000 to produce. It took Sony over 3 years before the console could start earning a profit.

The PS4 and Xbox One were the total opposite. They were not based on cutting edge technology when they came out, so Sony and MS weren't losing money on every console they had sold. Sony just had much higher profits than MS, because they sold a ton more software and consoles.
    A Black Falcon: no, computer games and video games are NOT the same thing. Video games are on consoles, computer games are on PC. The two kinds of games are different, and have significantly different design styles, distribution methods, and game genre selections. Computer gaming and console (video) gaming are NOT the same thing."

Nameless One

Quote Originally Posted by gamevet View Post
    I can't see how the 32X wasn't a lost investment for Sega. The R&D behind the hardware design and software, along with creating the manufacturing for the unit certainly would have costed quite a lot. You also had expensive carts that were sitting in bargain bins for several years after its release.
    Absolutely. Wonder just how much it cost them. Designing something like the 32X seems simpler than a new console though, not that many components inside, relatively short development time, etc. Are there any numbers on what each unit cost to manufacture?

Thread Information