Quantcast

Page 2 of 12 FirstFirst 123456 ... LastLast

Thread: What if the Saturn was never released and it was up to the 32X?

Raging in the Streets xelement5x's Avatar

The 32X made sense as something that could do enhanced games, but you only had to pay for the enhancement once. Unlike with the SNES where you had to pay for the cheater chips each time you bought a new game. If I remember correctly, 32X games didn't cost any more than regular new Genesis titles, unlike stuff for the SNES where you were paying extra for enhancement chips with each title.

Their thinking was solid, but I think if they'd put the money into making more enhanced cart games instead of the 32X ecosystem and the titles they probably would have better success in the long run.
    Quote Originally Posted by StarMist View Post
    A spine card is the hymen of a new game assuring its first owner that he is truly her one and only, and of a used game assuring its new owner that whilst she has been played with in the past that play has never been too careless or thorough.

Framemeister Expert Hedgehog-in-TrainingOutrunner Tower of Power's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by EyeDeeNo76 View Post
    I think I would rather of had a 32-bit cartridge base Saturn than a disk base system. I love the no loading screen/time of the ROM cartridge. Now... how do I stop Sega from starting on or thinking of Project Mars and releasing the Sega 32X and put their efforts in to the 32-bit cartridge base Sega Saturn?
    It would have been sweet, but cart was a huge disadvantage at the time I think the average storage space on a 32X cart was 4mb vs 700mb or so for a CD. Huge difference. Granted, the for example Sega CD games at the time didn't do a great job taking advantage of the extra storage, but it would have really handicapped it for the future.

Toejam is a wiener. Master of Shinobi SEGA-Jorge's Avatar

I would have loved to see what kinda stuff Sega and other companies could have done with the 32x/Sega CD. I imagine there was some potential there. I think Sega should have hammered out a ton of arcade ports right away, even if it was stuff already available. Altered Beast, Golden Axe, Death Adder's Revenge, just a ton of arcade ports would have been a great start, especially if they were budget priced.

Quote Originally Posted by SEGA-Jorge View Post
    I would have loved to see what kinda stuff Sega and other companies could have done with the 32x/Sega CD. I imagine there was some potential there. I think Sega should have hammered out a ton of arcade ports right away, even if it was stuff already available. Altered Beast, Golden Axe, Death Adder's Revenge, just a ton of arcade ports would have been a great start, especially if they were budget priced.
    At least that produced great and accurate ports of Space Harrier and Afterburner. Too bad they didn't make an Outrun game as well.

32x is sweet...but if they did port lots of awesome arcade games, and did them right, we MIGHT have seen a different story...or maybe not...we will never know.

Framemeister Expert Hedgehog-in-TrainingOutrunner Tower of Power's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Legend77 View Post
    32x is sweet...but if they did port lots of awesome arcade games, and did them right, we MIGHT have seen a different story...or maybe not...we will never know.
    I don't know if arcade ports would have done it. I think the trend at the time was more towards 3D console exclusives. That being said, I think the Saturn or the 32X would have benefited from having a real legitimate 3D Sonic game on them. I think that's what people associated Sega with, and the fact that neither system had a true Sonic game was I think what held a lot of people back from buying them.

Quote Originally Posted by Tower of Power View Post
    I don't know if arcade ports would have done it. I think the trend at the time was more towards 3D console exclusives. That being said, I think the Saturn or the 32X would have benefited from having a real legitimate 3D Sonic game on them. I think that's what people associated Sega with, and the fact that neither system had a true Sonic game was I think what held a lot of people back from buying them.
    Yeah what the hell were they thinking? The genesis never sold worth a darn until sonic came into the picture. They should of did a huge budget to get a sonic game done in time for a launch title for each machine. No one is going to buy a system that doesn't have any good launch titles, although the 32x did get doom...which i think its pretty badass but my parents wouldn't have ever got me doom.

I still think they should have released the 32x and pushed it and joined up with sony to make the new system, Instead of the saturn. My only console was the sega genesis i got in 91 and i was still playing it well into 1998, my parents couldnt afford to get me a new system so i would have welcomed having a 32x give me a bit more horsepower out of the genesis.

Quote Originally Posted by xelement5x View Post
    The 32X made sense as something that could do enhanced games, but you only had to pay for the enhancement once. Unlike with the SNES where you had to pay for the cheater chips each time you bought a new game. If I remember correctly, 32X games didn't cost any more than regular new Genesis titles, unlike stuff for the SNES where you were paying extra for enhancement chips with each title.

Their thinking was solid, but I think if they'd put the money into making more enhanced cart games instead of the 32X ecosystem and the titles they probably would have better success in the long run.
    They ranged from 39.99 (AB and SH) all the way to 69.99. (MK) Though this all depended where you went to. As for the SNES cheater chips it had absolutely no negative bearing on sales.
    Quote Originally Posted by Zoltor View Post
    Japan on the other hand is in real danger, if Japanese men don't start liking to play with their woman, more then them selves, experts calculated the Japanese will be extinct within 300 years.

Bring on the noise! WCPO Agent Bones Justice's Avatar

I like the 32X. I thought it was a good idea when I saw the games: Virtua Fighter, Virtua Racing, Doom, Star Wars, Shadow Squadron. They may or may not seem impressive now but at the time, they were amazing home games. There was nothing like Virtua Fighter 32X for the home at that time. Even though my friends were holding out for the next gen consoles, they all loved playing Virtua Fighter, etc. on 32X with me. It was something like a year before even one of my friends had one of the new systems. I never regretted getting the 32X, it was fun and much different from the games I had for Genesis or SegaCD. It was a unique time in gaming because none of us had really played any 3D games except briefly in the arcades, with the exception of the slow sims by EA or games like Thunderstrike on SegaCD. The way I looked at, the 32X was a good deal because it already had a half-dozen games that I really wanted, making the total cost of the games only about $15 over the price of a regular Genesis games. Some Genesis games at that time were up to $70 anyways. Plus, unlike buying a completely new console, I didn't have to spend any money on extra controllers, etc.

As for the What If? scenario, unfortunately, 32X would have gotten buried by Playstation just the same. I could see some upsides, though. We would have gotten a larger 32X library and perhaps seen even more games of Virtua Fighter's quality. I suppose Sega would have shown more focus and direction and saved their reputation, at least more than they did.

If Sega had gone with the 32X, they would have tried to market it as more cost-effective choice than the 32-bit machines. If they could have sold it out of the gate for less than $100, it would have been more marketable, even if that meant reducing it's capabilities. Perhaps if it was somewhere between the SVP chip and the 32X that we got, they could have made a run at it, especially marketing it mainly to the Genesis user base. They could have marketed the idea to consumers that they could use all of their existing controllers, etc, rather than having to buy new ones for a new system. And they would need Sega to make more top quality titles from the arcades. Plus, they would want to keep pushing the Genesis to keep that user base going. If they could have released Duke Nukem 3D and Wolfenstein 3D then, it might have helped. Maybe a cheaper 32X could have kept Sega in the console market long enough to come out with an even better Saturn after the Playstation.

As impressive as it was to me to see those first fast-paced 3D games at home, I think I appreciate them even more now. I still really like the look of the non-textured 3D games, so long as they move well like the 32X games do. I would have loved to have seen Sega Rally and Virtual On on the 32X, too.

Quote Originally Posted by Da_Shocker View Post
    As for the SNES cheater chips it had absolutely no negative bearing on sales.
    I don't know, the SNES FX games just didn't do much for me. They were still slow and didn't have many polygons. Nintendo did manage to keep the price down to between $60 and $70 for these games but they didn't seem any more impressive than Genesis games that cost that much. Virtua Racing SVP was really impressive as it was fast and had a lot of polygons but the $100 price tag was way too much for one game.
    Last edited by Bones Justice; 01-30-2016 at 06:52 PM.
    Slayer-1: "Minus 210 degrees...minus 215...minus 220. Why are you still standing?"

Bones: "My will...will not die."

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=AJ-iQfP3mFs

Raging in the Streets

I'd argue that the Genesis port of Virtua Racing for $100 is way too anemic a game, it's a perfectly fun racer but that's about it really.

Virtua Racing Deluxe ups both the framerate and content considerably, Virtua Racing Genesis you've basically seen it all in 5 minutes. It makes for a really good tech demo of what the hardware can do when coupled with the SVP chip but that's it really.

You can stick me in with the people who like Starfox the content but the game (the original) is unappealing in both looks and frame rate, it's exceptionally slow and just looks like a bunch of boxes flying around. Lylat Wars would be released not too long after the original and that's the real game to play.

Quote Originally Posted by Gogogadget View Post
    I'd argue that the Genesis port of Virtua Racing for $100 is way too anemic a game, it's a perfectly fun racer but that's about it really.
    I thought it looked awesome in early 1994 but was not going to spend $100 on it. I enjoyed it immensely at the clearance price of $20. I still carry it with my Nomad. I had never played it in the arcades so it was all new material to me. No argument that the 32X version is better in every way except that it's not portable.

You can stick me in with the people who like Starfox the content but the game (the original) is unappealing in both looks and frame rate, it's exceptionally slow and just looks like a bunch of boxes flying around. Lylat Wars would be released not too long after the original and that's the real game to play.
    I did not have an SNES but my friend got it and I thought it looked okay but was disappointed that it didn't have freedom of movement. And yeah, the slow pace reminded me of the other 3D flight games that I had already played on Genesis. I was not a fan of 3D games at all until I saw the Virtua games. 3D had always meant "slow" to me until then.
    Slayer-1: "Minus 210 degrees...minus 215...minus 220. Why are you still standing?"

Raging in the Streets

I'm a bit younger than the usual crop and to me 3D meant Playstation, however as a kid (well, a 16 year old) I stumbled across a very disused Virtua Fighter in an arcade. Stuck a quid in for a go and noticed it was released in 1993.

Virtua Fighter was released in 1993. How the fuck did people not lose their minds.

I'm a bit younger than the usual crop and to me 3D meant Playstation, however as a kid (well, a 16 year old) I stumbled across a very disused Virtua Fighter in an arcade. Stuck a quid in for a go and noticed it was released in 1993.

Virtua Fighter was released in 1993. How the fuck did people not lose their minds.
    Something called Street Fighter and maybe Mortal Kombat.
    Quote Originally Posted by Zoltor View Post
    Japan on the other hand is in real danger, if Japanese men don't start liking to play with their woman, more then them selves, experts calculated the Japanese will be extinct within 300 years.

Raging in the Streets

Quote Originally Posted by Da_Shocker View Post
    Something called Street Fighter and maybe Mortal Kombat.
    Yeah those games are excellent, but they aren't 3D.

Virtua Fighter is practically now a footnote in gaming history, and 1 and 2's reputation is apparently a horribly dated hilarious looking game. But they both play smooth as fuck and look very appealing for the time. They deserve a better reputation.

Well, I almost did the first few times that I saw it. I remember when the first Mortal Kombat came out in the arcade, we thought, wow, the fighters look so realistic! Then when Virtua Fighter came out, it was mind-blowing! They moved so fast and smooth! But I couldn't afford to pump quarters into the arcade machine. It wasn't until I got it for 32X that I realized how deep the gameplay was, how many different moves every character had compared to other fighters. I still like 2D fighters, too, but Virtua Fighter changed forever how I saw 3D games after that. My copy of Virtua Fighter 32X was worth every penny because we played it so much.

Thread Information