Quantcast

Page 2 of 14 FirstFirst 12345612 ... LastLast

Thread: List of games deserving a Color Hack

Soleil has the problem of featuring many different language versions so any color hack should target all of them and not just one like color hacks usually do (mostly North American versions). It happens the same with other games like Landstalker, The Story of Thor and Light Crusader.
    http://www.sega-16.com/forum/image.php?type=sigpic&userid=154&dateline=15683853  53

Quote Originally Posted by Black_Tiger View Post
    It's a good game, but not only should the resized assets have better pixel art (even though it still looks nice as-is), the color isn't very efficient for what is possible on Genesis. Too many elements which don't appear to share color with others have poorly transitioning shades and many elements have different colors mixed in another color's gradient/shading. Like the noticeable grays in the middle of other colors:

Rezized elements its a mixing bag, playing on TV its fits very well and captures the same feeling and field of view of the arcade machine with 2 monitors, but some bosses dont makes this transition too well and loses alot of details, but in general is a good job, its also help saves memory in this small cartigde with alot of content.

Color wise is much darker and badly shading like you said but easly to fix with hack, i already did that but dont have screens to show atm.

Visit my youtube channel Pyron's Lair
    Take here all my hacks made with love for all of us here
    Want to help me? Here is my Patreon!

Quote Originally Posted by Wesker View Post
    Soleil has the problem of featuring many different language versions so any color hack should target all of them and not just one like color hacks usually do (mostly North American versions). It happens the same with other games like Landstalker, The Story of Thor and Light Crusader.
    Its true but North American versions tends to be give more access to everyone, i'm always look to the best version on the pack. Landstalker you can make a custom version using the community uncensored patch, this game reallys need a color fix, my eyes bleed looking at it.

For great justice! Outrunner Tor Landeel's Avatar

I understand it would need a miracle to fix Hook...just looking at all the shared colors among the objects..

***** トル・ランディール ******
    Cadash Arcade Colors hack:
    https://www.romhacking.net/hacks/3905/
    Out Run Arcade Colors hack:
    https://www.romhacking.net/hacks/3940/

Quote Originally Posted by LinkueiBR View Post
    We could improve this version recoloring the sprites, but the backgrounds...
    i get curious to make my version and like i'm always think, this game dont have much to do, sadly

Quote Originally Posted by Tor Landeel View Post
    I understand it would need a miracle to fix Hook...just looking at all the shared colors among the objects..

Hook is easy to fix, some screens for my fast testing, i'm always get curious with this

Last edited by Pyron; 02-18-2016 at 01:33 PM.

For great justice! Outrunner Tor Landeel's Avatar

And it's already a fantastic improvement!
    If you fix the upper scroll it might be even confused with the SNES version!
    ***** トル・ランディール ******
    Cadash Arcade Colors hack:
    https://www.romhacking.net/hacks/3905/
    Out Run Arcade Colors hack:
    https://www.romhacking.net/hacks/3940/

Quote Originally Posted by Pyron View Post
    Its true but North American versions tends to be give more access to everyone, i'm always look to the best version on the pack. Landstalker you can make a custom version using the community uncensored patch, this game reallys need a color fix, my eyes bleed looking at it.
    Regarding Soleil, I wouldn't say the North American version would be the best one to choose. They say it has a worse translation than the European version which was translated by Sega, while in the case of the North American version it was Atlus who did the translation. Seems to be a similar case to Shining Wisdom for the Sega Saturn which was translated by Sega for the European version and by Working Designs for the North American version, with the European one also being regarded as the better translation.

In the case of Landstalker the English translation is the same for both the North American and European versions, but there are European versions translated to French and German (and I believe one of them was translated from the Japanese version and therefore not censored, not sure which one it is since neither of them are my language).
    http://www.sega-16.com/forum/image.php?type=sigpic&userid=154&dateline=15683853  53

Death Bringer Raging in the Streets Black_Tiger's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Wesker View Post
    Regarding Soleil, I wouldn't say the North American version would be the best one to choose. They say it has a worse translation than the European version which was translated by Sega, while in the case of the North American version it was Atlus who did the translation. Seems to be a similar case to Shining Wisdom for the Sega Saturn which was translated by Sega for the European version and by Working Designs for the North American version, with the European one also being regarded as the better translation.

In the case of Landstalker the English translation is the same for both the North American and European versions, but there are European versions translated to French and German (and I believe one of them was translated from the Japanese version and therefore not censored, not sure which one it is since neither of them are my language).
    Since the Mega Drive is an NTSC console first and most of its players are in NTSC land, I think that if a color hack must be limited to only one version, it should be an NTSC one. If a game was made exclusively with PAL in mind, then I could see using it, but you'd still be limiting the audience.

Since Ragnacenty was made for NTSC, I think that if a single color hack is to be done, then it should be for an English NTSC version, even if it's a fan translation.
    Quote Originally Posted by year2kill06
    everyone knows nintendo is far way cooler than sega just face it nintendo has more better games and originals

Bite my shiny, metal ***! Hero of Algol retrospiel's Avatar

Thumbs up

Kook its easy to fix, some screens for my fast testing, i'm always get curious with this

Impressive. Very nice! I'd say almost perfect - except for the green tones which should look more like in the original or the SNES version.

i get curious to make my version and like i'm always think, this game dont have much to do, sadly
    That is perfect IMHO!

It has lots of nice art with lots of detail and shading, but the color filling that out isn't balanced well and most things look washed out. A good color hack has the potential to make everything pop and push it to the peak of 16-bit gen visuals.

Most of the background elements in this scene are mixing 2 or more different colors. The boxes for example, go from dark to light using different variations of the same set of clashing colors:

Using the same set of colors in different orders on the same object may limit the potential of a color fix, but it might still look better with a consistent set of colors. So even if a simple color hack couldn't breathe new life into it, the developer could have done so much better color-wise.
    I have to disagree. I think the colors were chosen deliberately. This game looks exactly like it is supposed to look and one of the finest examples of color use on MD. Nextech's previous game was Ranger-X which already was pushing boundaries in many ways. These guys knew exactly what they were doing.

That said: I don't see why there shouldn't be a color hack if someone is willing to tackle this game. Having an alternative version never hurts.

I think that good games which are looking, but have color flaws, are the best candidates for color hacks. Certainly much more so that games that don't look nearly as nice in the first place or aren't as enjoyable to play.
    I wholeheartedly agree. Good looking games like Alien Storm or New Zealand Story would really profit from a color hack and were the reason for me to start this thread.

Among the games that gain the most probably would be games in need of only very little adjustments here or there and which are already perfectly fine otherwise (i.e. like Rainbow Islands).

- On the other hand a complete color hack for a bad looking game might push it over the edge to become playable again. Captain America got a huge boost in overall quality because the graphics are finally tolerable thanks to the amazing work on the color hack.
    Last edited by retrospiel; 02-18-2016 at 01:04 AM.
    The Mega Drive was far inferior to the NES in terms of diffusion rate and sales in the Japanese market, though there were ardent Sega users. But in the US and Europe, we knew Sega could challenge Nintendo. We aimed at dominating those markets, hiring experienced staff for our overseas department in Japan, and revitalising Sega of America and the ailing Virgin group in Europe.

Then we set about developing killer games.

- Hayao Nakayama, Mega Drive Collected Works (p. 17)

The Cat in the Hat Shining Hero NeoVamp's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by retrospiel View Post
    That is perfect IMHO!
    Yeah its a huge improvement, the entire game is just too damn dark.

Impressive. Very nice! I'd say almost perfect - except for the green tones which should look more like in the original or the SNES version.
    It's just a fast work with no reference in mind so i can improve even more, this game was a advantage to be a Snes port and the original shades are there to be corrected, so we can make good things here, but i dont like this game to spend too many hours working on it

Mega Bomberman it's a shame if placed side by side with Bomberman 94.

Attachment 11210

Mega+Bomberman+2.png

Since the Mega Drive is an NTSC console first and most of its players are in NTSC land, I think that if a color hack must be limited to only one version, it should be an NTSC one. If a game was made exclusively with PAL in mind, then I could see using it, but you'd still be limiting the audience.

Since Ragnacenty was made for NTSC, I think that if a single color hack is to be done, then it should be for an English NTSC version, even if it's a fan translation.
    The only thing Soleil has regarding PAL optimization is retimed music which sounds fast in NTSC, and there are ways through hacking to bring the music timing back to what it should in NTSC so I don't see that would pose a huge problem. In exchange, you would get an English translation far better than the one used in the North American version and I suppose the other European language versions would be compatible with the color hack too because of code similarity. This is really the way you wouldn't be limiting the audience, not the other one which is targetting a version only in English and with a worse translation than the European one.

Snes version the vegetation changes during the stage before the rain, also theres indepedent color tones for each background planes,
    mega cd version its also capped, so i think maybe be bether play this game in snes after all, my best results is here(include window color fix) .

Thread Information