Quantcast

Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast
Results 1 to 15 of 73

Thread: Super Buggy Champ - Upcoming Genesis Racer - OFFICIAL DEV DIARY!

  1. #1
    Hedgehog-in-Training Hedgehog-in-TrainingWildside Expert POLYGAMe's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2016
    Location
    Auckland, New Zealand
    Age
    43
    Posts
    105
    Rep Power
    4

    Genesis Super Buggy Champ - Upcoming Genesis Racer - OFFICIAL DEV DIARY!

    Hey guys and gals,

    I've been making games since 2009 but recently decided to make the jump to Genesis/Mega Drive development as... well it's more fulfilling than iOS and Android games.

    Super Buggy Champ is an upcoming racer inspired by Out Run and Buggy Boy. I hope to update you on the build process in this very thread.

    The game will get a physical release but I'm uncertain of exact details yet as it's early days.

    Anyway, here are a few shots of progress so far. The last is a mockup using actual assets as I haven't put sprites in the engine yet.

    First I managed garbled gfx:
    file.jpg

    Next I tried to make a corner:
    file-1.png

    Next I 'sort of' succeeded:
    file-2.png

    Then I smoothed it out after a lot of head scratching:
    file-3.png

    I then got the road scrolling smoothly (can't show in a pic) and this shot shows pretty much where I am now (minus the car):
    mock.png

    Next job is to scroll the road adjusting to speed and add in the car sprite.

    Thanks for looking

  2. #2
    Extreme Procrastinator Master of Shinobi Flygon's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Location
    Victoria, Australia
    Age
    27
    Posts
    1,977
    Rep Power
    35

    Default

    Ooh, I'm loving those background graphics! And the car too. Who drew them?

  3. #3
    Hedgehog-in-Training Hedgehog-in-TrainingWildside Expert POLYGAMe's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2016
    Location
    Auckland, New Zealand
    Age
    43
    Posts
    105
    Rep Power
    4

    Default

    An artist I hired named Maciej. He's brilliant This game is going to cost me a heap so I hope I can sell a few carts. Haha.

    That reminds me... I was thinking I might release the rom free and just charge for boxed carts. I'm not sure if that's a wise decision but I figure true Sega collectors will want the physical copy and anyone else would just pirate it anyway. Getting a bit ahead of myself as it's still early days but what do you guys think?

  4. #4
    Outrunner EPSYLON EAGLE's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2013
    Posts
    664
    Rep Power
    17

    Default

    Videos please!

  5. #5
    Hero of Algol
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Posts
    7,703
    Rep Power
    174

    Default

    Some questions if you allow me:
    - Which language and SDK are you using?
    - Your tracks are going to have elevation changes?
    - Split-screen mode?

    Awesome looking project. I love racing games.

  6. #6
    Nonconformist Hedgehog-in-TrainingWCPO Agent EyeDeeNo76's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2015
    Location
    97km north of New York City
    Age
    43
    Posts
    886
    Rep Power
    24

    Default

    I like the look of the buggy. Kind of reminds Road Riot 4WD I used to play in the arcade and than the not so good port on the Super NES.

  7. #7
    Hedgehog-in-Training Hedgehog-in-TrainingWildside Expert POLYGAMe's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2016
    Location
    Auckland, New Zealand
    Age
    43
    Posts
    105
    Rep Power
    4

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by EPSYLON EAGLE View Post
    Videos please!
    Will upload videos of road movement soon. There are a couple of small bugs but hope to fix on the weekend

    Quote Originally Posted by Barone View Post
    Some questions if you allow me:
    - Which language and SDK are you using?
    - Your tracks are going to have elevation changes?
    - Split-screen mode

    Awesome looking project. I love racing games.
    I'm using Stef's SGDK and all code is in C.

    Not sure on hills. Road is textured so will depend on how it looks. Also it will be more like Buggy Boy than Out Run. Buggy Boy had no hills, was more about avoiding obstacles.

    I'd like to have 2P split screen, yes. Will see how I go. Game is being designed as single player but if I can make it work it will be an option

    Quote Originally Posted by EyeDeeNo76 View Post
    I like the look of the buggy. Kind of reminds Road Riot 4WD I used to play in the arcade and than the not so good port on the Super NES.
    I never knew Road Riot was a coin op game!

  8. #8
    Nonconformist Hedgehog-in-TrainingWCPO Agent EyeDeeNo76's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2015
    Location
    97km north of New York City
    Age
    43
    Posts
    886
    Rep Power
    24

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by POLYGAMe View Post
    I never knew Road Riot was a coin op game!
    Indeed it was. I had the pleasure of playing on a deluxe side by side sit down model at one my local arcades back in the day.


    Last edited by EyeDeeNo76; 02-11-2016 at 02:40 PM.

  9. #9
    Nonconformist Hedgehog-in-TrainingWCPO Agent EyeDeeNo76's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2015
    Location
    97km north of New York City
    Age
    43
    Posts
    886
    Rep Power
    24

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by POLYGAMe View Post
    Road is textured so will depend on how it looks. Also it will be more like Buggy Boy than Out Run. Buggy Boy had no hills, was more about avoiding obstacles. I'd like to have 2P split screen, yes. Will see how I go. Game is being designed as single player but if I can make it work it will be an option
    Buggy Boy does look like fun and different from anything I seen to play on the Mega-nesis. To bad I don't have one of them flash cartridges to download it to play on my Genesis when you get done.

    Last edited by EyeDeeNo76; 02-11-2016 at 03:06 PM.

  10. #10
    The Cat in the Hat Shining Hero NeoVamp's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Posts
    10,139
    Rep Power
    185

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by POLYGAMe View Post
    Anyway, here are a few shots of progress so far.
    Looks awesome! I read a page about how they did these racing games and it was super interesting.
    I hope you come up with a great game man, Can't wait to see the end result.

    Quote Originally Posted by EyeDeeNo76 View Post
    Buggy Boy does look like fun and different from anything I seen to play on the Mega-nesis.
    I spend hours playing it on our Atari ST back in the day, great game.


  11. #11
    Hedgehog-in-Training Hedgehog-in-TrainingWildside Expert POLYGAMe's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2016
    Location
    Auckland, New Zealand
    Age
    43
    Posts
    105
    Rep Power
    4

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by EyeDeeNo76 View Post
    Buggy Boy does look like fun and different from anything I seen to play on the Mega-nesis. To bad I don't have one of them flash cartridges to download it to play on my Genesis
    There's always emulation or the physical game release

    Quote Originally Posted by NeoVamp View Post
    Looks awesome! I read a page about how they did these racing games and it was super interesting.
    I hope you come up with a great game man, Can't wait to see the end result.



    I spend hours playing it on our Atari ST back in the day, great game.
    I played the hell out of Buggy Boy on C64. For some reason it never got a console release. The arcade version was pretty cool but the C64 version is still my fave, surprisingly it's much smoother than the 16 bit versions!

  12. #12
    Antiquing Hedgehog Lord QuickSciFi's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Location
    Miami, FL
    Age
    40
    Posts
    19,197
    Rep Power
    206

    Default

    Great work, brosef. Keep it up. Count me in for any hard copy support if you're planning to also go that route.

    BTW, I'm sure Kiwis won't mind it, but on this side of the pond, the name might not bode well for nitpickers trying to find "bugs" on a game called "Super Buggy Champ".

  13. #13
    Hedgehog-in-Training Hedgehog-in-TrainingWildside Expert POLYGAMe's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2016
    Location
    Auckland, New Zealand
    Age
    43
    Posts
    105
    Rep Power
    4

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by QuickSciFi View Post
    Great work, brosef. Keep it up. Count me in for any hard copy support if you're planning to also go that route.

    BTW, I'm sure Kiwis won't mind it, but on this side of the pond, the name might not bode well for nitpickers trying to find "bugs" on a game called "Super Buggy Champ".
    Yup, hard copy is the number 1 goal. I intend to get custom carts made etc, kinda like EA and Accolade did. I'm not a fan of repurposed cart shells etc. It'll be pricey for the tooling but hey, there's always Kickstarter once the game rom itself is ready

    Title is working only. I do like it though because it's kinda lame but cool in a retro way. Haha.

  14. #14
    Hedgehog-in-Training Hedgehog-in-TrainingWildside Expert POLYGAMe's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2016
    Location
    Auckland, New Zealand
    Age
    43
    Posts
    105
    Rep Power
    4

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by EyeDeeNo76 View Post
    Indeed it was. I had the pleasure of playing on a deluxe side by side sit down model at one my local arcades back in the day.


    That looks epic! Kinda like Power Drift crossed with Outrunners!

    EDIT: Christ I just watched a video of the SNES version. It brought back horrible memories. I bought the game back in the day just because it was a racer and the SNES was new to me. What a shocking game. I didn't touch anything from THQ for years... in fact I'm still apprehensive!!!!

  15. #15
    Raging in the Streets Sik's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Posts
    3,560
    Rep Power
    64

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by POLYGAMe View Post
    That reminds me... I was thinking I might release the rom free and just charge for boxed carts. I'm not sure if that's a wise decision but I figure true Sega collectors will want the physical copy and anyone else would just pirate it anyway. Getting a bit ahead of myself as it's still early days but what do you guys think?
    That's my mentality too (people are paying for the experience of getting a new game), but some people disagree... I wish some guys would get off their high horses and stop thinking they should approach things as if they were AAA publishers.

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •