Quantcast

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Might & Magic: Gates to Another World

I had leveled all my party members up to Lv 5, amassed around 20,000 G, gained a whole lot of spells and nice equipment, was exiting a dungeon, and... a lava flow wiped my entire party. So the past 6 or 7 hours worth of grinding that I did = nothing.

Needless to say, I ragequit.

I have no qualms now about restarting on an emulator with savestates, so this kind of bullshit doesn't happen again.

Seriously, I don't understand developers wanting people to enjoy their game, and then throwing in stuff like instant death traps that give you no warning. Fuck that.

Edit: Upon restarting, I realized spells only last for one day, so when day turned to night, I dropped down into the lava b/c the spell wore off. Still, there's no internal clock to know when each day ends, or at least I haven't found it yet.

I restarted on an emulator, levelled up a new party (same classes and names). I don't have all the great equipment I had before, though I did finish the quest that killed me off yesterday and return with some pretty sweet fire weapons. I found some great fountains to drink from that raise your party's levels really high, but they only last for one round.

Despite my disaster yesterday, I'm really enjoying this game. It's like an early version of Elder Scrolls in a more D&D style universe, but with a tongue-in-cheek vibe. There are all sorts of references to stuff like Star Wars and lots of "punny" names like Gene Eric. It's just a load of fun, and I think too many people find it too inaccessible to deal with at first, but it's really something, and especially for the good ol' Genesis.
    Last edited by Chimaera; 12-17-2015 at 01:12 AM.

Well, sometime between saves, the game decided to wipe out three of my level 15 characters. Millions of exp. down the drain again. Bye, Claris, Zio, and Septim. Stuck with my two barbarians and a handful of robbers that assisted on my quest, I decided to use a cheat code to change my character classes so I can complete the rest of the class-specific quests.

I'd already done the Ninja and Barbarian quests, so I changed my Barbarians into Knights, went and fought the Dread Knight to complete the Knight's Quest and the Archer's Quest (by killing the Dread Knight and Baron Wilfrey).

I just don't know what to make of a game that is this much of a pain in the ass. I like it, and I'm having fun, but there's so much stuff here that is actively inhibiting the fun that I don't even know if I can recommend this to any but the hardest of hardcore RPG fans.

But I'll continue trudging on. I've got too much invested now to give up. With the way this game deletes characters at whim, I just don't know anymore.

In Your Mind Road Rasher Night Driver's Avatar

Sounds like a nightmare. I considered taking this one on for the beat-'em-all effort. Glad I didn't.

Thread Information