Quantcast

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: EverDrive GG: Does anyone have it?

Formerly known as 5233 Master of Shinobi Jeckidy's Avatar

Game Gear EverDrive GG: Does anyone have it?

I know the Game Gear is largely ignored these days, even by SEGA fans, but does anyone here happen to have the EverDrive GG? There's only a few fan translations available and even fewer seriously worth playing at all, but aside from that and a few rarities like prototypes, I'm still conflicted whether or not to get one.

Raging in the Streets goldenband's Avatar

I have it. It works nicely, though I'm disappointed that KRIKzz hasn't done anything about (re)implementing SG-1000 support, since that's half of why I got the thing in the first place.

Death Bringer Raging in the Streets Black_Tiger's Avatar

Whether you love games or are a collectard who is more interested in piecing together a "complete set", if you plan on playing games at all then a flashcart should be your first purchase. It's only the price of a new game.

Separate from hacks and homebrews, there more than a few great games that justify a translation which are already complete:

http://www.romhacking.net/?page=tran...transsearch=Go

But seriously dude, this is at least your fourth Game Gear question thread in less than 2 weeks. You should just turn one into your own Game Gear Question thread.
    Quote Originally Posted by year2kill06
    everyone knows nintendo is far way cooler than sega just face it nintendo has more better games and originals

Hedgehog-in-Training Hedgehog-in-Training Tanooki's Avatar

I'd agree with the above to a point. It's not very collectard if you stick with game only since the prices are very low, laughably considering who fubar the NES/SNES have become, handhelds just don't get the respect and attention thankfully and hell in Nintendo land Gameboy is the only thing not screwed up on a cartridge anymore for the most part. That said there are some expensive solid games, mostly Japanese though there is Mega Man where an everdrive would be very justified since it's not like Sega or the game maker is getting a penny anymore so why feed a shark? The other bonus, if you take the big thing on vacation or whatever with you, anything you legally own (or not) you can stuff on one memory card in that thing and not have to worry about carrying around so much.

AKA Mister Xiado Outrunner Raijin Z's Avatar

I'd get one if the Game Gear meant a lot to me. I was in middle school when people started getting them, and I never played one until early high school, so it never meant much to me.

Video Game Modder Road Rasher segasonicfan's Avatar

I have an GG Everdrive and I love it!

I have it. It works nicely, though I'm disappointed that KRIKzz hasn't done anything about (re)implementing SG-1000 support, since that's half of why I got the thing in the first place.
    Yeah, that's a bummer. I know he doesn't support it because it isn't a big seller, but having a broken OS as the most recent build is kinda lame. He also removed the byte countdown which was super helpful as a loading bar indicator. Stick with OS v5 and you are good to go.

Still, WELL worth it and a fantastic hardware design. You can fit every possible game and hack on a 2GB card so there's really no reason not to get one if you love GG and have the money. Just note that it doesn't support Gunstar Heroes yet and a couple other games.

-Segasonicfan

So's your old man! Raging in the Streets zetastrike's Avatar

I just got my EDGG in the mail yesterday and it works well for the most part, but I have to say it's a bit disappointing compared to the other Everdrives I have.

- No SG-1000 support is a big deal to me. If the FC EDN8 can play FDS games, the Mega ED can play SMS games, and the EDGB can play both color and B/W, then the Game Gear edition being so limited is unexpected and disappointing. I get that it's not likely a big seller, but people did buy this thing (I bought one in 2017) and it's a bit distasteful of krikzz to break the compatibility and not fix it. Why leave paying customers behind?

- The Shining Force games do not save for some reason. I tried the translated Final Conflict three times and each time, when I hard reset the console after saving my progress, the screen displayed text that was cut off on the sides as if the resolution was screwed up saying "set to system defaults, press any key". It does not create a save file for it or SFII. I have verified that Phantasy Star and Sylvan Tale create save files and store to the SD card. This was a big letdown for me, as I wanted to play the Shining games in English.

- No Gunstar Heroes, World Series Baseball.

In the past few years I've picked up the Mega ED, the EDGB, the Famicom N8, and the 2600 Harmony Encore. This is the first time I've bought a flashcart and wasn't 100% satisfied.
    Last edited by zetastrike; 01-22-2017 at 05:44 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by A Black Falcon
    Nope. Bloodlines is the problem, not me. I have no trouble with Super Castlevania IV (SNES) and Dracula X: Rondo of Blood (TCD), and have finished both games. Both of those are outstanding games, among the best platformers of the generation. In comparison Bloodlines is third or fourth tier.

No, it's unbiased analysis. The only fanboyism is people who claim that Hyperstone Heist and Bloodlines are actually as good as their SNES counterparts.
    My Collection: http://vgcollect.com/zetastrike

ToeJam is a wiener Hero of Algol Guntz's Avatar

Despite the problems you've listed, I still want an Everdrive GG too, mainly so I'm not stuck either buying giant lots of carts and being saddled with a stockpile of crummy games or resorting to cherry-picking good games which will get expensive quickly.

Maybe if enough of us buy the Everdrive GG, Krikzz will see the demand and finally publish a new firmware update.

There can be only one. WCPO Agent synbiosfan's Avatar

What I need is for someone to put SF Final Conflict translation on a cart that saves, if even possible. Someone telling me why it can't would work too.
    Diabetes sucks!

has anyone tried playing multiplayer GG games with another GG with the actual cart? Just wanted to know if 2 player games would work with 1 Everdrive and 1 actual cart.

Hedgehog-in-Training Hedgehog-in-Training

I have a everdrive GG, actually I have verson 8 on mine and I was able to play a couple SG-1000 games on it. I think it's worth to be able to play sms games on the go. Flashing time however is really long, so it might frustrating for those of you get a bit ADHD.

Raging in the Streets goldenband's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by haightc View Post
    I have a everdrive GG, actually I have verson 8 on mine and I was able to play a couple SG-1000 games on it.
    Which ones? Everything I tried came up with a palette so wrong that it was impossible to see the gameplay.

I hate to admit this but I still haven't bought an everdrive GG yet. Been too busy with other things and still on the fence about preordering paprium.

Has the EDGG received any more firmware updates lately? Or at least, a more specific explanation of that one earlier post about version 8. I don't mind if there's a few incompatible games, but shining force is pretty hard to do without.

So's your old man! Raging in the Streets zetastrike's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Guntz View Post
    I hate to admit this but I still haven't bought an everdrive GG yet. Been too busy with other things and still on the fence about preordering paprium.

Has the EDGG received any more firmware updates lately? Or at least, a more specific explanation of that one earlier post about version 8. I don't mind if there's a few incompatible games, but shining force is pretty hard to do without.
    It hasn't gotten a firmware update in years. This has actually left a bad taste in my mouth about krikkz. I get that this GG everdrive is probably the lowest selling one he came out with, but people bought it. The thing has some flaws in it that other EDs don't have. The OS itself is broken. He just doesn't seem to care. People have brought up these same issues on the ED support forum and krikkz doesn't even really acknowledge them. It can't be that hard to pop in and say he understands the problem and will look into it. It makes me kind of salty to see the EDGG being ignored while the N8 and ED64 getting all the attention from him. Financial incentive notwithstanding, I think he should do right by the people who bought the EDGG/updated to OS8 in good faith. Unlike the other EDs I have, this one is the only one I'm not 100% satisfied with.
    Quote Originally Posted by A Black Falcon
    Nope. Bloodlines is the problem, not me. I have no trouble with Super Castlevania IV (SNES) and Dracula X: Rondo of Blood (TCD), and have finished both games. Both of those are outstanding games, among the best platformers of the generation. In comparison Bloodlines is third or fourth tier.

No, it's unbiased analysis. The only fanboyism is people who claim that Hyperstone Heist and Bloodlines are actually as good as their SNES counterparts.
    My Collection: http://vgcollect.com/zetastrike

It's not like there's a competing product available though. I think Tototek once had a basic flash cart for Game Gear, but the EDGG is the only one I've seen with an SD card and menu. Flaws or not, it'd be nice to have. I could buy one right now, but I'm not sure. I could wait for November again and buy a EDGG and EDGB with that discount, but I find it's not as worth it for lower cost items. The best things to buy with that discount are the SD2SNES and Mega Everdrive V2/X7.

Thread Information