Quantcast

Thread: Streets of Rage (Game Gear)

Streets of Rage (Game Gear)

Streets of Rage on the Genesis is considered a classic. Unfortunately, It's portable cousin wasn't able to convey the rage quite as well, and it comes off more as "Alley of the Mildly Annoyed." While it's not a terrible game, it lacks the polish of the 16-bit original, and the experience suffers overall. Still, it's worth playing for the Yuzo Koshiro music alone! Read the full review for more details.

I can't sign this review. It was one of my first gamegear games. Sure it has been stripped against the Genesis version but it's still a good game. As said the music is awesome and the graphics - well for a first generation gg game: colorful, nice details (the flashing lights on stage 1) and an complete new music in the factory stage. Even the two player nose is still there via link cable.
    1 XB360, 1 md2, 1 mcd2, 1 snes, 1 ms adapter, 1 Nes, 2Gamegears (for playing sor co op)
    http://soundcloud.com/djtwok

Raging in the Streets A Black Falcon's Avatar

If this game wasn't so badly broken difficulty-level-wise that it's nearly impossible, it could have been a good game. Unfortunately, as it is it's an awful, unplayable mess. The visuals and sound are nice, yes, but the gameplay is quite bad. The review is absolutely right about the terrible hit detection and about how hard it is to avoid being hit. Not fun stuff to deal with... the game seems fun at first, but gets frustrating fast.

Mega Driven Raging in the Streets cleeg's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Melf View Post
    "Alley of the Mildly Annoyed."
    Nice one!

Now with 33% more @$$! Master of Shinobi Assman's Avatar

Is this the same as the Master System version? That one seemed to be pretty playable.

No the game gear version in the Sega Master System version are very different ports. The Sega Master System version though it has issues is far more playable than this.
    Check out my review channel at GameFaqs here. Then feel free to leave feedback and comment here

So's your old man! Raging in the Streets zetastrike's Avatar

Funnily enough, SoR 2 on the GG is a really nice port, but it's not as good on the SMS. I'll look forward to your write up on that one.
    Quote Originally Posted by A Black Falcon
    Nope. Bloodlines is the problem, not me. I have no trouble with Super Castlevania IV (SNES) and Dracula X: Rondo of Blood (TCD), and have finished both games. Both of those are outstanding games, among the best platformers of the generation. In comparison Bloodlines is third or fourth tier.

No, it's unbiased analysis. The only fanboyism is people who claim that Hyperstone Heist and Bloodlines are actually as good as their SNES counterparts.
    My Collection: http://vgcollect.com/zetastrike

Now with 33% more @$$! Master of Shinobi Assman's Avatar

Thanks for the info. It's interesting that Sega felt the need to create two 8-bit versions of each game; it's the same damn hardware. Maybe "baffling" is a better word.

Definitely play the SMS version, but though it's better it's still not without some major issues. Thankfully they aren't game breaking, just annoying.
    Check out my review channel at GameFaqs here. Then feel free to leave feedback and comment here

I was just playing this over the weekend... and I couldn't believe how bad the gameplay was. The music is great, just as everyone said. Though you'd think they would do something different to this series on the GG. Like how they ported Shinobi, which is awesome. Though overall... I still prefer Axels flying knee than his jump kick... it looks sooooo much cooler. Overall I concur with this review... the rating is just! Good stuff!

Thread Information