Quantcast

Thread: Mortal Kombat (Game Gear)

Mortal Kombat (Game Gear)

TEST YOUR MIGHT! The arcade smash Mortal Kombat jumped kicked its way onto every console imaginable, including the Game Gear. Significantly watered down to fit on Sega's handheld, the game still retained a lot of what made it so fun, but a lot was definitely lost in translation. Read our full review for more details.

Umm... most of the text appears to be missing???

Genre: Fighting Developer: Midway/Probe Publisher: Acclaim Players: 1-2 Released: 1993

I tell myself Iím not really a Mortal Kombat fan, but I suppose Iíve fallen into a sort of casual fandom like people who embrace the Seattle Seahawks. Mortal Kombat is, of course, the original arcade one-on-one fighting game featuring digitized fighters and oodles of gore. Despite not thinking highly of the game compared to its contemporaries, I like the franchise enough to have seen the first movie in the theater and have purchased the first two Mortal Kombat games back then. The movie had the benefit of looking and sounding amazing even if it didnít have the gor
    Tags: Acclaim, Fighting, Game Gear, Midway, Mortal Kombat series, Probe
    The funny thing about an oxymoron is, even if you remove the ox, there'll always be a moron. The Question Remains: Y?

Submitted:
    Champions of Europe (Master System)

Work in progress:
    Reviews:
    Aladdin (Master System)
    Speedball 2 (Master System)
    Features:
    Side-by-Side: Speedball 8bit ports (C64 vs. SMS vs. NES)

It's fixed now

Well-written review!

If I remember correctly it was reasonable but I found the juddery backgrounds a little off-putting.

Antiquing Hedgehog Lord QuickSciFi's Avatar

The game certainly is fun; but somehow a lot more difficult than other iterations. I don't know why I haven't been able to beat it yet.

Outrunner

I got this and Samurai Shodown for Christmas the same year. Switching between the two is a great comparison of Eastern VS Western developers at the time.

Two static backgrounds, choppy gameplay with even choppier animation, drab presentation.... Samurai Shodown wins hands down.

it DOES have a jitter to it! This is one of the few games i had for the game gear and though it really isn't great (that jump kick exploit works too well here) i had fun on trip with it.

Banned by Administrators

^ Yes. I owned it too. And it was good enough for a trip too (long school trip). But once I got home, the honest truth and first thing I did was turn on my Genesis with MK1 in it, just to perform an uppercut. Because I missed the feel & sound of Genesis MK1 uppercut so much. (Yes, I did finish that match as Sub-Zero and perform a fatality too. After that I shut the game off and unpacked)

Raging in the Streets

I had this for the Master System, I thought they massively improved MK2 over MK1 only to discover MK1 was actually an arcade game in the future. Oh youth.

That being said, even if MK1 is actually not a choppy, 8-bit game. MK2 is still leagues ahead.

Melf, I noticed that the comments were turned off in the review. Can this be fixed?

This game is a great conversation piece along with its Sega Master System counterpart but it's more a "proof of concept" than a decent experience. Definitely gets a pass from me as the got so much more right for the second one than this.
    Check out my review channel at GameFaqs here. Then feel free to leave feedback and comment here

Comments are opened. I must have unchecked that box without noticing.

Thread Information