Quantcast

Page 1 of 6 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Question for Virtua Racing experts.

Road Rasher

Default Question for Virtua Racing experts.

I used to play Virtua Racing on a standup cabinet, I frigging loved how it got F1-like grip right, in the first track you could pedal-to-the-metal all circuit except the last hairpin, thanks to aerodynamics.

Then much later I played the Saturn version and they completely botched grip, they introduced drifting, which is complete heresy for this kind of cars.

I never played any other version, so anyone known if a version is close to arcade grip ? MD, 32X ?

Hedgehog-in-Training Hedgehog-in-TrainingWildside Expert POLYGAMe's Avatar

The Saturn version was handled by Time Warner, not Sega so that probably explains it. Though I seem to remember all versions including the arcade had a certain amount of drifting... the SMD and 32X versions are both awesome and very faithful to the coin op. Just download Kega Fusion and the roms to see for yourself

End of line.. Hero of Algol gamevet's Avatar

I like the Playstation 2 version in the Sega Classics Collection. It has improved graphics.
    A Black Falcon: no, computer games and video games are NOT the same thing. Video games are on consoles, computer games are on PC. The two kinds of games are different, and have significantly different design styles, distribution methods, and game genre selections. Computer gaming and console (video) gaming are NOT the same thing."

Nonconformist Hedgehog-in-TrainingWCPO Agent EyeDeeNo76's Avatar

I have the Genesis Virtua Racing with the Sega Virtua Processor and yeah the graphics are not as visually appealing as some would like but it runs smooth and is very close to the arcade counterpart in content and feel, if only the Genesis had a steering wheel with pedals controller to use. I also have the Sega Classics Collection for the PlayStation 2 and that version you can use a steering wheel with pedals controller (Logitech Driving Force GT) but unfortunately it has a lot of center wheel dead space and the graphics I think look as good as if not better the arcade equivalent.

This is the best all in one video I have found showing the Arcade, Mega Drive/Genesis, Saturn, 32X and PlayStation 2 in comparison.

Edit: There has been a number of times I contemplated getting the Time Warner Saturn version but I am after a faithful as the coin op as one can get.
    Last edited by EyeDeeNo76; 03-06-2016 at 02:29 PM. Reason: I taking this more seriously than should be :)

The Saturn version is bizarrely unfaithful, but is a pretty fun game in its own right. The 32X is ok, and the Genesis version is impressive for what it runs on. The PS2 version in Sega Classics Collection is probably the one that's aged the best, but the most faithful version without comparison is MAME.

All the VRs drift though.

I found it a bit tricky to even see the cars you're over taking on the MD the 32x version was really good and isn't as expensive as the Saturn one.

Death Bringer Raging in the Streets Black_Tiger's Avatar

32X is my favorite because of the extra cars, on top of being a solid game.
    Quote Originally Posted by year2kill06
    everyone knows nintendo is far way cooler than sega just face it nintendo has more better games and originals

Hero of Algol

Quote Originally Posted by Ryoandr View Post
    I used to play Virtua Racing on a standup cabinet, I frigging loved how it got F1-like grip right, in the first track you could pedal-to-the-metal all circuit except the last hairpin, thanks to aerodynamics.

Then much later I played the Saturn version and they completely botched grip, they introduced drifting, which is complete heresy for this kind of cars.

I never played any other version, so anyone known if a version is close to arcade grip ? MD, 32X ?
    Both the MD and 32X have drifting but it's well implemented and I honestly believe they didn't have many options given the fact that the digital input was pretty much the only way to go for 99,9999999% of the owners of those systems. Yeah, I wish they had preserved the original handling mechanics for an obscure XE-1AP controller exclusive mode but that's just a delusional dream from my side.

The Saturn version is a POS; handling mechanics is botched even when compared to the other ports, AI is completely botched, collision detection is very iffy, etc. Avoid it.

Master of Shinobi

Quote Originally Posted by Barone View Post
    Both the MD and 32X have drifting but it's well implemented and I honestly believe they didn't have many options given the fact that the digital input was pretty much the only way to go for 99,9999999% of the owners of those systems. Yeah, I wish they had preserved the original handling mechanics for an obscure XE-1AP controller exclusive mode but that's just a delusional dream from my side.
    IIRC, they probably couldn't have retained the original handling in any case as, according to an interview from the time, they had to simplify the handling model to reduce processor load. They really did an excellent job though.

The PS2 version is a pretty good port, especially if it's played on an emulator at higher res. My only major fault with it is the engine sound, which doesn't seem to change properly in relation to your revs.

Hero of Algol

Quote Originally Posted by Silanda View Post
    IIRC, they probably couldn't have retained the original handling in any case as, according to an interview from the time, they had to simplify the handling model to reduce processor load. They really did an excellent job though.
    That makes sense. Thanks for the input.

Bring on the noise! WCPO Agent Bones Justice's Avatar

I have never played the arcade version. I have the Genesis, 32X, and Saturn versions.. The 32X version is by far my favorite. I only keep the Genesis version because it's portable, for example on the Nomad. The Genesis version controls just like the 32X version so it's real easy to switch between them. The Saturn version is completely different, not as fun to play because the handling is poor compared to the other two versions. The Saturn version does have some different tracks and stuff but it''s not good enough to spend money on.
    Slayer-1: "Minus 210 degrees...minus 215...minus 220. Why are you still standing?"

Bones: "My will...will not die."

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=AJ-iQfP3mFs

Raging in the Streets A Black Falcon's Avatar

The PS2 version looks nice, but they totally messed up the controls! Really, it's a near-unplayable disaster control-wise... it doesn't control anything like a V.R. game should. Bash the Saturn game all you want, but at least it plays like Virtua Racing for the most part.

Of course a lot of those 3d-remake PS2 Sega Ages titles in that one collection we got were awful, and V.R. is unfortunately one of them. Golden Axe might be the worst, but it's up there.

Quote Originally Posted by A Black Falcon View Post
    The PS2 version looks nice, but they totally messed up the controls! Really, it's a near-unplayable disaster control-wise... it doesn't control anything like a V.R. game should. Bash the Saturn game all you want, but at least it plays like Virtua Racing for the most part.

Of course a lot of those 3d-remake PS2 Sega Ages titles in that one collection we got were awful, and V.R. is unfortunately one of them. Golden Axe might be the worst, but it's up there.
    Bullshit!

V.R is an outstanding game on the PS2.

http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/r_segaclassics_ps2

Quote Originally Posted by eurogamer
    The best one on here is Virtua Racing. PS2 is powerful enough to do the original game justice and it's not yet been featured on any other retro compilations so feels quite new. At least, as new as a 13-year-old game ever can.

Thankfully, Virtua Racing has been left alone. They haven't crudely pasted textures over everything to make it look more modern as they've done for OutRun and Golden Axe. Instead, VR is pretty much arcade perfect - pop-up, triangular trees, road-built-out-of-tarmac-squares and all. If you're after a decent, smooth version of Virtua Racing to play in your house, Sega Ages Collection might just be worth 20 quid.
    A Black Falcon: no, computer games and video games are NOT the same thing. Video games are on consoles, computer games are on PC. The two kinds of games are different, and have significantly different design styles, distribution methods, and game genre selections. Computer gaming and console (video) gaming are NOT the same thing."

Hero of Algol

Quote Originally Posted by A Black Falcon View Post
    Bash the Saturn game all you want, but at least it plays like Virtua Racing for the most part.
    It plays like shit. It uses Virtua Racing tracks and car models but the game engine is completely different and very flawed.
    The AI is such a joke compared to any other version of the game that it's mind boggling how could anyone say "it plays like Virtua Racing".

Yeah!

Virtua Racing on the Saturn is a huge turd of disappointment.

Thread Information