Quantcast

Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: Question for Virtua Racing experts.

So's your old man! Raging in the Streets zetastrike's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by gamevet View Post
    Bullshit!

V.R is an outstanding game on the PS2.
    It is? I looked into it when I had my PS2. I wanted to get that compilation specifically for VR, but when I watched videos of it, it looked really borked. I never played it, but it looked like all the car did was fishtail the moment the pushed the stick. It didn't look at all like how the 32X version plays, and it wasn't how I remembered the arcade version played in MAME.
    Quote Originally Posted by A Black Falcon
    Nope. Bloodlines is the problem, not me. I have no trouble with Super Castlevania IV (SNES) and Dracula X: Rondo of Blood (TCD), and have finished both games. Both of those are outstanding games, among the best platformers of the generation. In comparison Bloodlines is third or fourth tier.

No, it's unbiased analysis. The only fanboyism is people who claim that Hyperstone Heist and Bloodlines are actually as good as their SNES counterparts.
    My Collection: http://vgcollect.com/zetastrike

Banned by Administrators

^ I was gonna say, I can't believe he posted some casual only in it for the money mainstream gaming review as evidence. I was like "Ok, so were is the evidence?"

End of line.. Hero of Algol gamevet's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by zetastrike View Post
    It is? I looked into it when I had my PS2. I wanted to get that compilation specifically for VR, but when I watched videos of it, it looked really borked. I never played it, but it looked like all the car did was fishtail the moment the pushed the stick. It didn't look at all like how the 32X version plays, and it wasn't how I remembered the arcade version played in MAME.
    The arcade game will fishtail as well.

Here's a video with the same guy playing the arcade game and the PS2 version. Notice how he is fishtailing in the arcade game as well.

Quote Originally Posted by Thief View Post
    ^ I was gonna say, I can't believe he posted some casual only in it for the money mainstream gaming review as evidence. I was like "Ok, so were is the evidence?"
    What do you mean, where is the evidence?

He doesn't praise the rest of the collection for having added texture maps and enhanced graphics. He pretty much says that Virtua Racing is the best game on the compilation, because it stays true to the original arcade game. Just because the guy is getting paid for a review, it does not mean that he isn't expressing his true opinion of the game. Calling it money mainstream is a copout.

I've pretty much played every version of Virtua Racing, including MAME. The PS2 game is the closest version to the arcade game.
    Last edited by gamevet; 03-12-2016 at 02:22 PM.
    A Black Falcon: no, computer games and video games are NOT the same thing. Video games are on consoles, computer games are on PC. The two kinds of games are different, and have significantly different design styles, distribution methods, and game genre selections. Computer gaming and console (video) gaming are NOT the same thing."

Nonconformist Hedgehog-in-TrainingWCPO Agent EyeDeeNo76's Avatar

I don't know about you but I can't remember how long ago I last played Virtua Racing on a real arcade machine. All of the machines I ever played on was known as the Virtua Racing Twin and most of the time they were two twins linked together like in the video below. Also I almost always played in first person view and in that view you can't see the the back end of vehicle travailing sideways, fishtail or drifting. I know most of you like to use MAME as an example but they look like they are using a keyboard or analog stick the movement looks jerky and abrupt not smooth like what a wheel give you. In this video you can see their hands and the movement of the vehicle on screen. To me it looks like the camera view brakes away making the vehicle on screen look and adding to travailing sideways, fishtail or drifting visual but nonetheless it is clear Virtua Racing the arcade has a degree of drifting in it.

Edit: I like Sega Classics Collection very much if not only because Virtua Racing Flat Out with it's analog control but also the remakes of Out Run, Monaco GP and Space Harrier too.
    Last edited by EyeDeeNo76; 03-12-2016 at 04:05 PM.

I use a Logitech GT wheel to play V.R. on MAME and the PS2.
    A Black Falcon: no, computer games and video games are NOT the same thing. Video games are on consoles, computer games are on PC. The two kinds of games are different, and have significantly different design styles, distribution methods, and game genre selections. Computer gaming and console (video) gaming are NOT the same thing."

Banned by Administrators

Calling it money mainstream is a copout.
    All mainstream reviews are BS. In fact. Most reviews from anyone in general is BS. But especially mainstream ones.

All mainstream reviews are BS. In fact. Most reviews from anyone in general is BS. But especially mainstream ones.
    I guess everyone's opinion is a bunch of BS as well than.

I have no issues with Adam Sessler's reviews and I think that Game Critics do an outstanding job of not falling into the me-too review habits.

This was a $20 budget release for the PS2. I highly doubt that he had to ham it up for Sega, who very much was not lining anyone's pockets for favorable reviews.

Banned by Administrators

I guess everyone's opinion is a bunch of BS as well than.
    Yes. Pretty much.

Yes. Pretty much.
    Okay, well you're opinion is a big steaming pile of BS.

Banned by Administrators

Okay, well you're opinion is a big steaming pile of BS.
    The way it should be. Trust no one.

Raging in the Streets A Black Falcon's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by zetastrike View Post
    Yeah, it's kind of hard to go straight in the PS2 version. I just played all three versions, and the PS2 version controls quite differently, and not as well as, the Saturn and 32X versions. On the PS2 the analog stick rotates your car as if you're rotating a toothpick around its central axis, and you start skidding pretty much the moment you start turning. In the 32X or Saturn versions of the game this is not the case, and you have better, more precise controls. It is still a little skiddy, and the car rotates, sure, but it has a different feel to it. If you tap the pad or turn the wheel, your car's wheels turn a bit and you turn normally as you do in most racing games, instead of the overdone car rotation of the PS2 game. Much better! Control-wise, the 32X version is the best, Saturn version second (better with wheel), and PS2 last. I may have exaggerated a bit in my last post, but the PS2 version is off. Maybe it's better with a wheel? But with the gamepad... no. Not good.

Also, on the 32X, when you go off the track you usually spin out. On the Saturn you spin out or slow down, depending. On PS2 you seem to just slow down, not spin out. Weird, and not right.

So, playing the three versions just now, in my first try at the 32X version (track 1), I finished the race, best lap 40 seconds. Awesome game. On the Saturn I did finish, but most lap times were not as good as on the 32X and I didn't quite match my best 32X lap time. Control felt a bit slipperier than on 32X, though the wheel helps. And on the PS2? After three tries, I still hadn't finished a race, though once I ran out of time just short of the end. Best lap time, like, 45 seconds. The better the controls in each version, the better the times.

Quote Originally Posted by Barone View Post
    It plays like shit. It uses Virtua Racing tracks and car models but the game engine is completely different and very flawed.
    The AI is such a joke compared to any other version of the game that it's mind boggling how could anyone say "it plays like Virtua Racing".
    When comparing the Saturn and 32X versions, the Saturn version's controls are different from but not too far off of the 32X (and it controls pretty well with the Arcade Racer wheel for analog controls), the framerate is better (it's iffy at times in some parts of 32X V.R.), and the content is better with several times more tracks and a new, exclusive, and pretty good championship mode. Yes, the 32X version is better overall because it has better controls, but I'll continue to defend Saturn Virtua Racing. It's a good game. As for the arcade version, I have no memory of ever playing it, as I've said before; I'm comparing the home versions.
    Last edited by A Black Falcon; 03-13-2016 at 05:12 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by A Black Falcon View Post
    Yeah, it's kind of hard to go straight in the PS2 version. I just played all three versions, and the PS2 version controls quite differently, and not as well as, the Saturn and 32X versions. On the PS2 the analog stick rotates your car as if you're rotating a toothpick around its central axis, and you start skidding pretty much the moment you start turning. In the 32X or Saturn versions of the game this is not the case, and you have better, more precise controls. It is still a little skiddy, and the car rotates, sure, but it has a different, better feel to it. Control-wise, the 32X version is the best, Saturn version second (better with wheel), and PS2 last. I may have exaggerated a bit in my last post, but the PS2 version is off. Maybe it's better with a wheel? But with the gamepad... no. Not good.

Also, on the 32X, when you go off the track you usually spin out. On the Saturn you spin out or slow down, depending. On PS2 you seem to just slow down, not spin out. Weird, and not right.

So, in my first try at the 32X version (track 1), I finished the race, best lap 40 seconds. On the Saturn I did finish, but most laps were not as good as on the 32X. And on the PS2? After three tries, I still hadn't finished a race, though once I ran out of time just short of the end. Best lap time, like, 45 seconds. The better the controls in each version, the better the times.

When comparing the Saturn and 32X versions, the Saturn version's controls are different from but not too far off of the 32X (and it controls pretty well with the Arcade Racer wheel for analog controls), the framerate is better (it's iffy at times in some parts of 32X V.R.), and the content is better with several times more tracks and a new, exclusive, and pretty good championship mode. Yes, the 32X version is better overall because it has better controls, but I'll continue to defend Saturn Virtua Racing. It's a good game. As for the arcade version, I have no memory of ever playing it, as I've said before; I'm comparing the home versions.
    I've never liked playing the Saturn, 32X or Genesis versions of V.R. because they never felt like playing the arcade game. It was not fun until I had played the PS2 version. The PS2 version was so close to the arcade game, with a solid 60 fps and a feeling of speed that the other console versions lacked in comparison. It was like a revelation when I finally got to play V.R. on the PS2.

Raging in the Streets A Black Falcon's Avatar

I've never liked playing the Saturn, 32X or Genesis versions of V.R. because they never felt like playing the arcade game. It was not fun until I had played the PS2 version. The PS2 version was so close to the arcade game, with a solid 60 fps and a feeling of speed that the other console versions lacked in comparison. It was like a revelation when I finally got to play V.R. on the PS2.
    I want to actually turn the car, not constantly skid around everywhere as my car twists back and forth semi-uncontrollably!
    Last edited by A Black Falcon; 03-13-2016 at 11:00 PM.

Banned by Administrators

Now you seem to be talking about 60fps feeling instead of how the cars control in comparison to Arcade.

And the speed sensation always seems higher at lower frame rate then higher. ie. Daytona USA VS Daytona USA CE VS Arcade.

Hero of Algol

One thing the PS2 version seems to lack in comparison to the arcade is the weight transferring which affects the suspension and the car handling in curves.

Thread Information