Quantcast

Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: Question for Virtua Racing experts.

End of line.. Hero of Algol gamevet's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Thief View Post
    Now you seem to be talking about 60fps feeling instead of how the cars control in comparison to Arcade.

And the speed sensation always seems higher at lower frame rate then higher. ie. Daytona USA VS Daytona USA CE VS Arcade.
    You''re opinion is BS. Move along.
    A Black Falcon: no, computer games and video games are NOT the same thing. Video games are on consoles, computer games are on PC. The two kinds of games are different, and have significantly different design styles, distribution methods, and game genre selections. Computer gaming and console (video) gaming are NOT the same thing."

Banned by Administrators

^ Sure, but if you do some research, you'll know it to be fact.

^ Sure, but if you do some research, you'll know it to be fact.
    I game on PC. 60fps is always greater than 30 fps, that's a fact. Analog controls for a racing game are greater than the Dpad, that's a fact as well.

Another BS review calling it the best home version.

http://worldofstuart.excellentconten...iew-virtua.htm
    A Black Falcon: no, computer games and video games are NOT the same thing. Video games are on consoles, computer games are on PC. The two kinds of games are different, and have significantly different design styles, distribution methods, and game genre selections. Computer gaming and console (video) gaming are NOT the same thing."

Banned by Administrators

Quote Originally Posted by gamevet View Post
    I game on PC. 60fps is always greater than 30 fps, that's a fact.
    Wasn't talking about better. Because obviously 60fps is better then 30fps. I was talking about what you were talking about. "Speed sensation." The same game running at 30fps instead of 60 gives a greater sense of speed. Heck, isn't this something bugs bunny cartoons taught us too?

Banned by Administrators

I game on PC. 60fps is always greater than 30 fps, that's a fact. Analog controls for a racing game are greater than the Dpad, that's a fact as well.

Another BS review calling it the best home version.

http://worldofstuart.excellentconten...iew-virtua.htm
    Yes, that review is BS. I got more valuable information in this thread then in that review. That review also tried to fill my head with some BS. Along with some other nonsense killing his credibility in my eyes (lol at the most zoomed out view being "the View of Champions" and that Daytona USA & other racers not having it being a huge flaw *inset facepalm gif here*). I mean, honestly, buddy seemingly blabs on and on only about the graphics. I thought you brought this review up because he talks about the gameplay and compares them to other versions? Otherwise that review is a great example of why I'm no fan of most reviewers. Sorry if my expectations are higher.

And yes, analog is better then dpad. But if the gameplay/controls aren't good enough, then who cares.

Wasn't talking about better. Because obviously 60fps is better then 30fps. I was talking about what you were talking about. "Speed sensation." The same game running at 30fps instead of 60 gives a greater sense of speed. Heck, isn't this something bugs bunny cartoons taught us too?
    Chopping half of the frames out of the game just to make it play near 20 something fps is not a sensation of speed. It's a choppy sensation of speed and reaction times are reduced because of it. I played all of the home console versions of Virtua Racing this weekend. The Genesis and 32X versions cut areas that are 4 lanes in the arcade game, down to 2 lanes. Those version also tighten the controls to make up for the lack of track width. The Saturn version keeps the track width in place, but the cars are way too slippery around the corners. The Saturn version is, however, a rock solid 30fps, while the Genesis (mid teens) and 32X version struggle to get anywhere near 30fps. The Saturn version would be far superior, if not for the jacked up car physics. The 32X version also has some jacked up time for the tracks. I was able to finish the Big Forest track in 8th place and the Bay Bridge track in 11th place; that's not right.

This is what the arcade game is supposed to look like. I played it on MAME64 and it ran at a pretty solid 60fps, like the PS2 version does.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GNyA0-wcv3Q

You can watch this video by pasting the link through Google. The video is 1080p60fps, while the embedded video below is only at 30fps.

Banned by Administrators

Chopping half of the frames out of the game just to make it play near 20 something fps is not a sensation of speed.
    It is. Why do you think when you get drunk everything seems faster? Because your mind basically doesn't process everything you see. Giving a frame skipping feel.

Also in bugs bunny cartoons, Chuck Jones came up with the idea to skip animation frames (along with blur) to make it look like characters are moving faster. Why I've said it's an old visual trick.

Directors these days are also always edit cutting every freakin second, especially in fast action scenes to make them seem faster and flashier, which absolutely drives me crazy. I hate this stupid JJ Abrams style.

I'm not playing drunk driving simulators. The idea is for the game to replicate what it feels like to drive a car on the track; the choppy frame rates are there, because the game is too demanding for the Genesis and 32x to handle smoothly.

Film and cartoons are not comparable to videogames. Film runs at a constant 24fps, with each frame being exactly the same length between them. You can have 30fps, but if every 5th frame has longer lag than the previous frames, it starts making the images appear choppy.
    Last edited by gamevet; 03-14-2016 at 02:01 PM.

Banned by Administrators

^ Well now the direction of the discussion has changed. So that's that.

He has a point in the description.

Banned by Administrators

^ lol. Now that's a review.

Yeah, I saw and commented on that video. He suggest that you're better off playing the Genesis or Saturn version, which is pretty much a joke. Let's overlook the shitty controls of the Saturn game, or the really bad draw distance of the Genesis version, or the engines sounding like a two stroke engine on a formula one race car.

The only things that bother me about the PS2 version of the game are the excessive tire squel noises and the opponent AI sometimes going crazy. I have a much longer laundry list for the other versions, including Acropolis being near unplayable on the 32x, without using the Manaco GP view.
    Last edited by gamevet; 03-15-2016 at 08:19 AM.

Bring on the noise! WCPO Agent Bones Justice's Avatar

It's sad that some gamers think any game less than 60fps is bad or even unplayable. I remember not liking 3D games as a kid because they were like 1fps or maybe even 2fps. Then when I started seeing stuff that was 20fps, it was really cool. Well, to each his own.
    Slayer-1: "Minus 210 degrees...minus 215...minus 220. Why are you still standing?"

Bones: "My will...will not die."

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=AJ-iQfP3mFs

Outrunner

including Acropolis being near unplayable on the 32x, without using the Manaco GP view.
    Care to elaborate on that?

Quote Originally Posted by Azathoth View Post
    Care to elaborate on that?
    There's the nice arced bank corner in the arcade game, that is now flat and hard to view with the default view setting. Once you round the next corner (that is hard to see from the narrow straight away, the s-curves that you can sweep through and hit a straight line in the arcade and PS2 version, is now turned into more of a slalom. Throw it into Monaco GP view and I pretty much don't even have to hit the brakes.

Quote Originally Posted by Bones Justice View Post
    It's sad that some gamers think any game less than 60fps is bad or even unplayable. I remember not liking 3D games as a kid because they were like 1fps or maybe even 2fps. Then when I started seeing stuff that was 20fps, it was really cool. Well, to each his own.
    I'm more than happy with a game at 30 fps, as long as it isn't full of frame-lag. I used to play a lot of 3D Amiga games that were barely pushing 20 fps. But, I can't say that I get a lot of enjoyment out of some of those Amiga 3D games, like I did when the experience was new.

I can still play all of the versions of Virtua Racing and get some joy out of playing each, but I don't look at the Saturn, 32X or Genesis versions as a way to have the experience of playing the arcade game at home. I just view them as racing games that just happen to share the same name.
    Last edited by gamevet; 03-15-2016 at 09:22 PM.

Thread Information