Quantcast

Page 7 of 7 FirstFirst ... 34567

Thread: 32X and Neo Geo ports

Antiquing Hedgehog Lord QuickSciFi's Avatar

I don't frequent the 32X subforum that often. 'Didn't even think it would be a topic. Thanks

Playing it loud! Sports Talker NeoGeo64's Avatar

Well nowadays with memory being so cheap I don't see why it couldn't be done if everything could be streamed off the cartridge. I mean, look at SD2SNES.

ToeJam is a wiener Hero of Algol Guntz's Avatar

The problem is not with ROM, that's easy these days. The main limitation of the 32X is lack of RAM in the console. It's the same issue with the Sega CD, why it's not capable of much more than the Genesis even though you have access to 650MB pressed CDs.

Quote Originally Posted by Guntz View Post
    The problem is not with ROM, that's easy these days. The main limitation of the 32X is lack of RAM in the console. It's the same issue with the Sega CD, why it's not capable of much more than the Genesis even though you have access to 650MB pressed CDs.
    Didn't the Sega CD have 768KB of RAM, but games only had access to 128KB or something like that?
    This is your money, give me a smoking.

Wildside Expert

It's not ROM nor RAM .. it's bandwidth. The Neo Geo VDP can use cartridge data directly, whereas on the 32X you need to upload all data to the VDP. So, drawing a full-screen image ( 320x224 ) requires 71680 bytes of pixel data on the 32X ( in 8BPP mode ) while it takes only 160 bytes on the Neo Geo for the exact same thing.

Outrunner

Quote Originally Posted by moon View Post
    It's not ROM nor RAM .. it's bandwidth. The Neo Geo VDP can use cartridge data directly, whereas on the 32X you need to upload all data to the VDP. So, drawing a full-screen image ( 320x224 ) requires 71680 bytes of pixel data on the 32X ( in 8BPP mode ) while it takes only 160 bytes on the Neo Geo for the exact same thing.
    Yup....another big problem for the 32X is trying to replicate all 380 Neo Geo sprites in software, I don't think it can be done (or at least no one has done that yet). 32X is much better suited for 3D than throwing around lots of sprites, although maybe it would be doable if you could get the Genesis side to handle as much of the backgrounds as possible to take some of the load off the 32X....

Thread Information