Quantcast

View Poll Results: Which soundtrack do you prefer?

Voters
65. You may not vote on this poll
  • Japanese/Original

37 56.92%
  • American/Special Edition

6 9.23%
  • I like both to be honest.

21 32.31%
  • I don't mind either.

1 1.54%
  • Both are terrible.

0 0%
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Sonic CD - Soundtrack Battle: Japanese vs American!

Stuck in the Past Shining Hero The Jackal's Avatar

It's up to you, but it might cheaper just to rip your copy, replace the tracks with their PAL/Japanese versions, and then re-burn it to a CD-R.

Click image above for my Youtube channel.

Master of Shinobi

Quote Originally Posted by Lync View Post
    I'm looking to own the JP copy of Sonic CD just for the soundtrack.

I don't own an Everdrive, but as you've mentioned with many of the tracks reading as redbook audio, it should play on an audio player.

I just wanted to ask before throwing money at it - A Japanese copy of Sonic CD is actually a bit pricey considering its availability.

Per the topic - I love both soundtracks, and I've blasted the US copy on my outdoor speakers during summer, so would love to own the JP tracks too! Thanks for the input.
    Don't spend too much on the Japanese version; it shouldn't be particularly expensive and I've seen ebay sellers trying to grossly inflate the price.

Hedgehog-in-Training Hedgehog-in-TrainingSports Talker SegaDreamcast's Avatar

Played the American version first and prefer its soundtrack, brings the memories more. Also love 'Sonic Boom'. Ultra catchy. That FMV animation back then with the full on CD quality audio track was really impressive, made the Sega CD feel next-gen.

Japanese soundtrack all the way. The American soundtrack was a rush job, having been done in less than a month, and it shows. The present tracks and their future remixes sound too samey. The good future remixes sound more like bad futures. The final boss music sounds nigh identical to the regular boss theme, whereas it was an whole different track in the Japanese soundtrack. The ending FMV uses the same song as the opening. Not to mention that they didn't bother replacing music for the past time zones. They still use the Japanese tracks, which don't match the US tracks for the other time zones. Talk about doing a half-assed job.

But worse of all, most of the music didn't sound that good. The only level tracks I liked were Collision Chaos, and to a lesser extent Palmtree Panic and Tidal Tempest, and even then, they were inferior to the Japanese counterparts. The other level tracks sounded terrible, especially Metallic Madness.
    Last edited by Dere; 11-27-2019 at 07:54 AM.

Master of Shinobi Mega Drive Bowlsey's Avatar

I'm just so glad that the PAL release of Sonic CD has the Jap soundtrack. It just suits it perfectly and is classic Sonic. To you Americans who want the Jap version because of it's superior soundtrack, might I suggest the European PAL version. It has the same soundtrack and may be cheaper, although don't quote me on that!

Quote Originally Posted by Mega Drive Bowlsey View Post
    I'm just so glad that the PAL release of Sonic CD has the Jap soundtrack. It just suits it perfectly and is classic Sonic. To you Americans who want the Jap version because of it's superior soundtrack, might I suggest the European PAL version. It has the same soundtrack and may be cheaper, although don't quote me on that!
    I would go Japanse myself. The Pal game has issues being played at 60 Hz . Well unless you time it when you switch the 60 Hz mode on and then off and then back on. I agree though the Pal/JP music is so much better
    Panzer Dragoon Zwei is
    one of the best 3D shooting games available
    Presented for your pleasure

Hedgehog-in-Training Hedgehog-in-Training

Here's a level by level analysis of the soundtrack:

Theme
    Both Toot Toot Sonic Warrior and Sonic Boom are catchy main themes, however, I feel the former is more suited to the game, while the later, although great, is a little on the nose lyrically.

Winner: Japanese soundtrack

Palmtree Panic
    Both soundtracks deliver here. The US soundtrack samples some drum beats to create a tropical paradise, while the Japanese version creates a similar lively atmosphere, albeit with more of a "game" sound pallet.

Winner: tie

Collision Chaos
    No contest here. The Japanese soundtrack captures the vibe of the vibrant theme park while the US soundtrack has some depressing music that doesn't fit the stage at all.

Tidal Tempest
    Another close one. Both soundtracks deliver atmospheric tunes that help to capture the ancient, underwater nature of the the setting. The US soundtrack is more thematically consistent, however, the Japanese soundtrack provides one killer of a main song for the present that captures the mood of the level brilliantly. It's one of my all time favourite songs from a game soundtrack.

Winner: Japanese soundtrack (just)

Quartz Quadrant
    The Japanese soundtrack delivers a good, but fairly generic set of tunes here that don't capture the essence of the level very well. The US, on the otherhand, has a rocking opening number that fits with the mine's operations, while the future tunes add some mystique to the levels.

Winner: US soundtrack

Wacky Workbench
    The Japanese version conveys a monotonous feeling to the stage, making it a bore to play, while the US soundtrack captures the bouncy nature of the level. Since the level is frustrating, the US soundtrack makes it more enjoyable, so I'm giving it to that.

Winner: US soundtrack

Stardust Speedway
    Both soundtracks really deliver here, capturing the speedy and glitzy nature of the stage. The Japanese version relies on a remix of [i]Toot Toot Sonic Warrior[/b] while the US version creates unique, pulse-pumping tunes.

Winner: Tie

Metallic Madness
    Again the US soundtrack goes with the doom and gloom approach, which fits this stage more appropriately. The Japanese soundtrack, however, goes with more traditional game style music that is upbeat and captures the level's mechanical nature.

Boss Themes
    The US soundtrack features more dark music with some laughter samples over the top, while the Japanese version has a goofy, upbeat tune with some voice samples for the main boss theme, which makes fighting Robotnik fun, and a haunting yet upbeat tune for the final boss.

Overall the Japanese soundtrack wins out more often, however, I'm not suggesting it's the best, only the one I prefer. Outside the game, the US soundtrack comes into its own, while in-game the Japanese version feels more suitable most of the time. Both are great in different ways and it's wonderful we have the option to listen to both these days.

Sonic CD's Japanese soundtrack is far superior to their American version...hands-down. The only redeeming part of the American soundtrack is that Sonic Boom sounds way less ridiculous than the lyrics of Toot Toot Sonic Warrior. But Stardust Speedway is fantastic in particular, shown by the Sonic Mania soundtrack renditions.

The American soundtrack is completely forgettable.
    Quote Originally Posted by j_factor View Post
    The Sega Saturn was God's gift to humanity. This is inarguable fact!
    Quote Originally Posted by llj View Post
    Count me as someone who never liked the Turbo/Hyper Fighting iterations of Street Fighter 2. The speed ups always struck me as too "Benny Hill".

Feedback Thread: http://www.sega-16.com/forum/showthr...ack&highlight=

Thread Information