Quantcast

Thread: Virtua Worm for SEGA Genesis

State Laced Master of Shinobi ComradeOj's Avatar

Default Virtua Worm for SEGA Genesis

We've had virtua cop, fighter, tennis, and racing. Now it's time for Virtua Worm!

Gameplay:
    The game is like a cross between snake and pac-man. It's essentially a clone of an old web game called nibblet. Check it out if you haven't played it before!
    You have to navigate through a maze while eating food pellets. Each piece of food adds a body segment. The goal is to eat every piece of food in the stage without running in to yourself.

There are 15 stages in total. Hopefully the difficulty curve is okay. It's kind of hard to judge which levels are hardest when you're the one who made them.
    The art style is the same for all 15, but the color and music changes every 5 levels.

Hope you enjoy it. It was a lot of fun making it.

Other stuff:
    The game was programmed in 68k assembly.
    I tried to have a consistent music style between levels instead of the anything goes type I usually use.
    The title screen was done in blender 3D. Too bad the quality got butchered. Here is the original 12MP render.

Demo video:

Download link:
    Download it here!
    Modded consoles:
    Master System (v7040) with s-video & direct AV out
    Model 1 with 10mhz overclock & halt switches
    Model 1 with 10mhz 68010
    Model 2 VA2.3 with unfiltered Mega Amp, & s-video
    Model 3 VA1 with compatibility fixes & s-video
    32X with s-video
    Visit my web site at www.mode5.net
    Or my collection of homebrew Genesis games, programs, and music on SEGA-16!

Great game dude. I really enjoyed playing it through, but I think the last three levels might be too hard (it gets infuriating when I die with one pellet left to collect). But I think the difficulty curve is just about perfect.

The music is cool, it definitely suits the style of game, it kind of reminds me of the music from the Repton series.

I'm glad it doesn't give the player three lives and a few continues too.

Quote Originally Posted by Mad Moham View Post
    Great game dude. I really enjoyed playing it through, but I think the last three levels might be too hard (it gets infuriating when I die with one pellet left to collect). But I think the difficulty curve is just about perfect.

The music is cool, it definitely suits the style of game, it kind of reminds me of the music from the Repton series.

I'm glad it doesn't give the player three lives and a few continues too.
    Thanks!

You played it to the end? At the end, it lets you move out of the playfield and crawl over all of the HUD text. You can even go really far up or down and mess up other parts of video memory.

The last few levels are definitely the hardest, especially the last 2. It takes me a few tries to beat those ones.
    I didn't want to do the standard 3 lives thing. I knew some levels would take players a bunch of tries. Kicking them to the title screen after dying 3 times would probably just make them not want to play.
    Last edited by ComradeOj; 03-13-2016 at 02:23 PM.
    Modded consoles:
    Model 1 with 10mhz 68010
    32X with s-video

Hi ComradeOj, just wanted to say I really enjoyed the game. Any chance of some new levels? Had great fun playing it with my daughter and I agree with not adding limited lives as probably would not have finished all the levels.

Quote Originally Posted by Spaced View Post
    Hi ComradeOj, just wanted to say I really enjoyed the game. Any chance of some new levels? Had great fun playing it with my daughter and I agree with not adding limited lives as probably would not have finished all the levels.
    Thank you for the comment! I am very glad that you and your daughter enjoyed the game!

Ever since I finished the original, I had been thinking about doing a "Virtua Worm 2" with new levels, music, and some other improvements. One idea was to have sort of "3D" levels where you can tunnel down into another layer of the stage, and tunnel back up into the original part of stage.

New stages are pretty easy to implement into the existing game. The real challenge is just coming up with a stage that is challenging, but not too frustrating. If I don't end up release new stages of my own, maybe I'll just release the source code and some instructions on how to add user made stages.
    Modded consoles:
    Model 1 with 10mhz 68010
    32X with s-video

Thread Information