Quantcast

Thread: Japanese Exclusives

Default Japanese Exclusives

I'm focusing on collecting Game Gear games while they're still cheap and I was wondering if there are any Japanese exclusives anyone would suggest I check out.

_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_ Master of Shinobi NeoZeedeater's Avatar

I like these ones. Some might be pricey, though.

GG Aleste - Compile shooter. The sequel came out in Europe as Power Strike II.
    Gunstar Heroes - Not as good as the Genesis version but still impressive for the hardware.
    Coca Cola Kid - Has a similar feel to Aspect's Sonic games.
    Soukoban - AKA Shove It/Boxxle/Boxyboy etc. domestically on other systems. I like the speed up function in this version.
    Shikinjou - solid puzzle game.
    Rastan Saga - port of the SMS version.
    Yaiba - A platformer based on some anime.
    Berlin Wall

Outrunner

Quote Originally Posted by NeoZeedeater View Post
    Rastan Saga - port of the SMS version.
    Isn't this one just the straight up SMS ROM running in SMS mode on the GG?

They changed the copyright year on the title screen. Yeah, I meant it's basically the SMS game on GG as opposed to being redone like Alien Syndrome.

Panzer Dragoon Mini - It's like impossibly expensive and rare. You'll find a lot more Panzer Dragoon Saga copies for cheaper than this thing and no it's not really worth it xD

Kishin Douji Zenki - Side-scroller action game based on an anime which I've never seen, but it's developed by Sega so it's pretty good

Tama and Friends Sanchoume Kouen: Tamalympics - I don't really know much about this game but it's the only GG game developed by Aspect which did not leave Japan aside from Coca-Cola Kid (which I definitely recommend)

If you can read Japanese there's the action RPG Sylvan Tale and the strategy RPG Royal Stone (sequel to Crystal Warriors). They both have english translation patches available if you want to take the emulation route instead.

Wow! A Game Gear game that out prices Panzer Dragoon Saga. I never thought I would see that. Thanks for the suggestions so far.

Raging in the Streets A Black Falcon's Avatar

Yeah, it's weird how many good Japanese exclusives the GG has, I wish more of them had come out here. I do not like the GG that much, but I have a bunch of Japanese games despite that because they looked interesting... and indeed some are.

The ones I have:

The Berlin Wall - Okay single-screen arcadeish platformer, in the Bubble Bobble vein.
    Buster Ball - Weird... weird weird... futuristic sports-action thing. It runs sadly poorly, but the concept is interesting. Maybe a bit like speedball or something?
    Eternal Legend - JRPG in Japanese I got in a lot. Nice visuals, but I haven't played it.
    Faceball 2000 - Iffy port of this multiplatform FPS. The game runs even slower than the Game Boy version, and the screen has a larger border than that version too... it's okay, though. But the downgrades versus the GB are disappointing. Maybe that's why we didn't get this version?
    Fray: Shuugyouhen - Fun shmuplike. This isn't the same as the Turbo CD Fray shmuplike, it's a simpler game with only shooting stages, no RPG towns like that one has. The game has lots of slowdown (why do so many GG games have bad slowdown..), but it's fun stuff.
    GG Aleste II - Good shmup. This is one of the better shmups on the GG, but compared to Compile's console shmups, this game is disappointingly easy and insubstantial.
    Gunstar Heroes - Surprisingly good port of the Genesis game. The game has CRAZY amounts of flicker, but otherwise runs well and is quite fun to play. Wish we'd gotten this one here! It's one of the better action games on the system.
    House of Tarot - Nongame tarot card fortune-reading thing. In Japanese. I got this in a bundle and have zero interest.
    Madou Monogatari II - First-person dungeon-crawling RPG with Arle from Puyo Puyo. There is a bit of a language barrier, but thankfully the actual ingame menus are simple enough. This kind of game, though, rarely has been my thing...
    Magical Taruruuto-kun - Sega game, and a very easy shmup using this kids' license. The NES, SNES, and Genesis Taruruuto games are all a lot better than this, but this is the only shmup, the others are all platformers.
    Mappy - Pretty good port of this fun arcade classic. Good stuff.
    Nazo Puyo - Puyo Puyo game focused on puzzle stages. Impossible to play without being able to read Japanese, outside of the basic and stripped-down classic mode. Got this in a bundle.
    Nazo Puyo 2 - See above, this is more of that.
    Pengo - Decent port of this early '80s Sega arcade game. This is a fine version of the game, though I'd hope so given the age of the game. I don't love Pengo, but it's alright.
    Pet Club: Inu Daisuki! - Dog-raising simulator, in Japanese. Another one from a bundle I will not play.
    Puyo Puyo - Great version of Puyo Puyo, though this has a US conversion as Dr. Robotnik's Mean Bean Machine of course. Interestingly, despite not releasing outside Japan in this form, this game has an English version on the cart, so it's fully in English on a US system. That's cool, and makes the 'puzzle' mode playable, something not true in the above Nazo Puyo games, unfortunately.
    Tant-R - Minigame collection. This is a solid arcade port that is very hard to play for those who can't read Japanese because certain minigames require reading.
    Royal Stone - Great game! This game is a spiritual sequel to the great Crystal Warriors, and it's similar to that strategy game but with a new story. Play the fan-translated rom if you want it in English, but it's simple enough to be playable regardless, if you don't mind not understanding the story.
    Super Golf - Not sure if I've played this one... golf.
    Sylvan Tale - Okay topdown action-RPG, kind of like Zelda or more appropriately Crusader of Centy, but simpler. I haven't gotten far into this one, but it'd definitely be more fun in English. There is a fan translation for that, though. This is no Link's Awakening in either language, but it seems decent at least.
    Tails' Sky Patrol - This is a pretty good, and under-rated, game. I didn't expect much from this given its mixed to poor reputation, but I quite liked it! Why didn't we get this game, it's original and fun. Runs well, too.
    Taisen Mahjong Hao Pai - Okay mahjong game. Know the rules before buying, of course. This isn't one of those Western Shanghai games they wrongly put the "mahjong" name on. Decent, though.
    Yuu Yuu Hakusho - Mediocre beat 'em up. It starts out fun, but has some annoying parts farther in...
    Last edited by A Black Falcon; 04-08-2016 at 06:56 PM.

Pengo and GG Aleste II arenít Japan exclusive but they are games SOA passed on. Europe got a few other good games North America didnít: Wonder Boy III (some added/redone graphics but mostly the same as the SMS version), Galaga 2/Galaga í91, and Dropzone.

SEGA GAME GEAR have some GREAT japanese exclusives
    I remember that i tested a really good Secret of Mana like game that looks better than most of RPG/adventure Genesis games
    EDIT: Sylvan Tale
    Last edited by LinkueiBR; 04-08-2016 at 06:35 PM.
    VISUAL SHOCK!
    SPEED SHOCK!
    SOUND SHOCK!
    NOW IS TIME TO THE 68000 HEART ON FIRE!

Shadow of the Beast II - Enhanced Colors:
    http://www.romhacking.net/hacks/2275/

Sunset Riders - Enhanced Colors:
    http://www.romhacking.net/hacks/2287/

Turrican - Fixed:
    http://www.romhacking.net/hacks/2535/

Hedgehog-in-Training Hedgehog-in-Training Tanooki's Avatar

Unless I missed it there's a Zenki game on the system which is a surprisingly decent platforming adventure and you do switch between a few characters to use which are distinctly different as well. Years ago I had one from this franchise but on Super Famicom and it was good too, but it is not the same game which got me curious to look into it. It's also not expensive to get.

Road Rasher

GG has a nice version of Puyo Puyo Tsuu, though like the MD version, it's bare bones in terms of modes. No English like the first game, but it's playable without knowledge of Japanese.

Hedgehog-in-Training Hedgehog-in-TrainingRoad Rasher Prince Talmit's Avatar

I like these ones. Some might be pricey, though.

Yaiba - A platformer based on some anime.
    I've played Yaiba just a little bit.
    Are there sections which require reading Japanese, I seem to remember a quiz or having to answer some text to progress at some point.
    Or am I completely mistaken and remembering incorrectly?

There are a bunch of cutscenes in Japanese. I don't recall a quiz but it has been a while since I last played it.

Hedgehog-in-Training Hedgehog-in-TrainingRoad Rasher Prince Talmit's Avatar

There are a bunch of cutscenes in Japanese. I don't recall a quiz but it has been a while since I last played it.
    I'll have to give it a try again soon.
    This tribute video was the first I became aware of Yaiba, it's always had some charm or appeal.

And apparently Yaiba may be playable on Master System

Thread Information