Quantcast

Page 7 of 7 FirstFirst ... 34567

Thread: What if the Saturn had used a 68020 processor instead?

Master of Shinobi

Quote Originally Posted by Sik View Post
    Huh yeah we did, Venus was the Nomad.
    Which was released later than the 32x and the Saturn, and around the proposed launch window for the Neptune, yet had a codename lower in the planetary order. Unless it was sitting on the shelf for years, that would suggest that the names were not necessarily chronologically linked.

End of line.. ESWAT Veteran gamevet's Avatar

The Saturn with the built in Modem was called Pluto. Just sayin!
    A Black Falcon: no, computer games and video games are NOT the same thing. Video games are on consoles, computer games are on PC. The two kinds of games are different, and have significantly different design styles, distribution methods, and game genre selections. Computer gaming and console (video) gaming are NOT the same thing."

WCPO Agent

And it was never released. Fortunately, since Pluto is not a planet any more

Death Bringer Raging in the Streets Black_Tiger's Avatar

Ms. Pac-Man

Quote Originally Posted by tryphon View Post
    Now a bunch of scientists are saying that maybe it is afterall.

The lesson is that you can't trust science.
    Quote Originally Posted by year2kill06
    everyone knows nintendo is far way cooler than sega just face it nintendo has more better games and originals

Master of Shinobi

Quote Originally Posted by tryphon View Post
    Well, they could have named them after dwarf planets. I'd buy a Sega Quaoar!

Quote Originally Posted by Silanda View Post
    Which was released later than the 32x and the Saturn, and around the proposed launch window for the Neptune, yet had a codename lower in the planetary order. Unless it was sitting on the shelf for years, that would suggest that the names were not necessarily chronologically linked.
    I was saying they were chronological regarding when the projects started (doesn't mean they come out in the same order, as that depends how long it takes to work on each of them). Honestly a portable Mega Drive started being designed earlier makes perfect sense to me, especially considering how Mercury (the planet right behind it) is the Game Gear i.e. what's basically a portable Master System.

Outrunner

Huh yeah we did, Venus was the Nomad.

The only gap in the planet list is Uranus (if we assume Earth was skipped), so it's more likely that we simply don't know what system the Uranus was.
    Pure speculation on my part, but I like to think that Earth was the Megadrive, and the Mega CD was earths moon.

The Mega Drive predates the planet codes as far as I know, so not really. (however it was considered part of the SG-1000 line and its original name was Mark V, in fact this makes its backwards compatibility with the Master System very relevant)

Raging in the Streets Team Andromeda's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Silanda View Post
    The Saturn came 1st and that's why its called the Saturn (SEGA's 6th system) . Neptune was just a 32X and Mega Drive all in one (and when it was 1st shown it was just a mock up) . Also the 1st ever leak of the Saturn spec's said it didn't have a Cartridge port, that might have been added after (maybe a feature kept from the Jupiter system) . There's can always been changes late in the day, the Mega CD started out using 3 1/2 -inch floppy disks as the storage medium.

Looking over this is all a sideshow from the fact that very early in , most of the gaming word knew of the Saturn and the plans for it to ship in Fall 94 in Japan
    Panzer Dragoon Zwei is
    one of the best 3D shooting games available
    Presented for your pleasure

Outrunner

The Mega Drive predates the planet codes as far as I know, so not really. (however it was considered part of the SG-1000 line and its original name was Mark V, in fact this makes its backwards compatibility with the Master System very relevant)
    I know that. But, if you think about it, it is the most logical place for the Megadrive in the "sega solar system". Both because those names were not used, and because of the position of the machines relative to each other, and the rest of Segas portfolio. Even from a technical standpoint, the relation between Earth and the moon, and Earth and Mars, is similar to that of the MD and the MCD and the 32x.

And the Mega CD bios has the earth and the moon (yes, I know that only in the USA and some PAL versions).

Like I said: pure speculation.

A look at some of the 3D technology of early-mid 90s, what Sega and Sony could've used for Saturn 2 and PlayStation 64 / PS2 for the late 90s.
    Scans from EDGE UK and Ultra Game Players.

unfinished Real3D 100 prototype

From most to least powerful

*Model 3 series (2X Real3D Pro-1000 GPUs) - Sega's ultra high-end arcade boards
    -Step 2.1
    -Step 2.0
    -Step 1.5
    -Step 1.0

*Real3D Pro-1000 high-end Image Generator (1X Pro-1000 GPU)

*Real3D 100 - mid-range workstation / high-end PC graphics card (PCI version canceled)
    -Real3D/110 Lightning
    -Real3D/Cobra

*Project Auburn (codename) Intel i740 low-end PC integrated graphics / Real3D Starfighter add-in boards

not including the Martin Marietta co-designed Model 2 series (older tech that pre-dates Real3D series) or General Electric Aerospace co-developed Model 1

Real3D 100 developers guide PDF link: http://segaretro.org/images/6/64/Rea...reOverview.pdf
    Real3D Pro-1000 developers guide PDF link: http://web.archive.org/web/199806100.../devguide4.pdf

Had Sega opted for Lockheed Martin Real3D technology in a Saturn upgrade, and/or new next-gen console, and had the Model series continued with a Model 4 in a escalating tech arms-race, where could Sony turn for similar graphics tech for PS2, and Namco for System 33 and beyond (instead of PowerVR) ? Evans & Sutherland. Their Realimage series of 3D boards at all ends of the high-low spectrum, such as the Realimage 1000/2000 and Tornado 3000 series.
    These aren't as well documented as the Real3D series but here's two examples:

Evans & Sutherland

Realimage Tornado 3000

Realimage 2100

Realimage Lightning 1200

It seems to me that the older graphics tech Namco used in System 22 Ridge Racer (the TR³ chipset) and the later Evans & Sutherland's Realimage series is analogous to the older texture mapping tech Martin Marietta had for Sega's Model 2, and the later Lockheed Martin Real3D series.

Last edited by parallaxscroll; 05-01-2016 at 08:41 AM.

So indeed, Lockheed Martin wasn't the only game in town.

Ultra Game Players on Saturn 2

EDGE on Saturn 2

Last edited by parallaxscroll; 05-01-2016 at 08:39 PM.

They needed a better designed machine than the Saturn but 1996/97 would of been too late i.m.o. A 3rd quarter 1995 launch in Japan and mid 96 launch in the US would of allowed them to design a better 32 bit machine whilst not releasing too long after the PS. For a 3rd quarter 95 Japan launch, a single SH3 would of been ideal along with more unified ram and improved VDP1 with more ram and perhaps either more sound ram or adpcm compression.

Thread Information