Quantcast

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: MegaDrive++ : new switchless region + IGR mod

Genesis MegaDrive++ : new switchless region + IGR mod

Hiya!
    just a heads to let you know that there is a new switchless region + IGR mod for the megadrive/genesis consoles by SukkoPera.
    The project uses Atmel AVR microcontrollers and adds the In-Game-Reset function which is really useful for flashcart users , in fact that's how I found about MegaDrive++

So what are the features?

MegaDrivePlusPlus is a modchip for the Sega Mega Drive (AKA Sega Genesis). It has the following features:

EUR/USA/JAP mode switching: this effectively makes your console universal, allowing it to bypass region checks and to run all games without resorting to an adapter.
    If you come from a PAL region, you will also be able to run most games at 60 Hz, which means full-speed and full-screen! Get rid of those black bars! See the difference here!
    The mod is switchless, so you don't need to modify the aesthetics of your console installing ugly switches, but rather you will be able to change the region:
    Through the Reset button: Keep pushed to cycle through modes.
    From the Player 1 controller pad: Press Start + B + Up/Down to cycle through modes or Start + Down/Left/Right to set a certain mode (according to the actual chip you have installed, more on this below).
    The last used mode is saved automatically after 5 seconds and reused at power up.
    Supports a single led, common-anode or common-cathode dual or RGB LEDs to indicate the current mode (Colors can be set to any value when PWM pins are available).
    Reset-From-Pad (AKA In-Game-Reset AKA IGR): Press Start + A + B + C.
    Supports consoles with both active-high and active-low reset signals by autosensing (i.e.: all console revisions!).
    Uses cheap Atmel AVR microcontrollers.
    Can be flashed on different chips (ATtiny's, ATmega's, or even a full Arduino board), but please note that not all features are supported on all chips, depending on the number of available I/O pins, please read on for details.
    If flashed on an ATtinyX4(A), it is pin-to-pin compatibile with the D4s/Seb mod.
    Even though default settings are recommended, everything can be customized to taste.
    Uses the popular Arduino environment, allowing for easy development, testing and modifications.
    Last but not least, it is Open Source and Free Software!
    Here is the project's page: https://github.com/SukkoPera/MegaDrivePlusPlus
    and the wiki that explains everything in detail: https://github.com/SukkoPera/MegaDrivePlusPlus/wiki

I'll order an arduino nano board to test this, the IGR function is good for max-laziness reasons and reason enough to upgrade from dforce3000's mod that I currently use

Hero of Algol

I believe this thread would fit better at Tech Aid:
    http://www.sega-16.com/forum/forumdi...hp?19-Tech-Aid

I have installed the mod in my md1 and it works great:

here is a handy schematic in case anyone uses a IC BD M5 PAL and a nano to do the install, every solder point in a single picture:

Hedgehog-in-Training Hedgehog-in-TrainingNameless One Pha's Avatar

I wish my too create this excellent mod "switchless + In Game Reset".

But before that, Someone could confirm me please, if the mod is compatible with the 6 buttons gamepad or not ?

If you a anothers hints/tips about this mod, don't hesitate to speak of your feedback....

Hedgehog-in-Training Hedgehog-in-Training infidelity's Avatar

Yes I would like to know this as well, regarding the 6 button controller. I'm going to install this chip tonight.

Mega Driven Raging in the Streets cleeg's Avatar

Cool stuff, I have a switchless mod but not with the control pad option.

I took the plunge and installed the chip. I didn't solder in the LED, but I did solder everything else.

I'm not interested in the region options, just the IGR.

I can confirm (at least with Sonic The Hedgehog) that you can reset the system via A+B+C+Start.

This worked for me with an official 3 button controller, AND, the official 6 button controller.

Once I get my replacement Mega Everdrive X7, I'll finally be able to test out resetting the 32x with the MED_X7, and resetting Sega Master System games with the MED_X7.

Are you able to change the button combination for the IGR? I forgot that games like Altered Beast require A+B+C+Start for editing which beast to morph into for each stage.

Hedgehog-in-Training Hedgehog-in-Training

Quote Originally Posted by infidelity View Post
    Are you able to change the button combination for the IGR? I forgot that games like Altered Beast require A+B+C+Start for editing which beast to morph into for each stage.
    You probably found out this already, but yes, you can change the button combination Though I haven't found one I prefer over the default one, and I've never needed the altered beast option yet. Guess I could just remove or disable the chip if I really did.
    Last edited by Zense; 04-23-2018 at 10:01 AM.

Having some problems that are leaving me frustrated. I have been trying to use the MegaDrive++ code on an ATTINY44 chip. I'm using an Arduino Uno to upload the sketch to the ATTINY chip but I cannot get it to work.

I have followed all the instructions on SukkoPera's github wiki page. The Arduino Uno has the capacitor between RESET and GND, I have tried programming the ATTINY both with and without a 0.1uF ceramic cap (some guides mention that this is needed). I can successfully program other sketches to the ATTINY via the Uno, namely the Blink sketch. There are no errors when programming the ATTINY or its Bootloader.

The MegaDrive wiring is correct as it works perfectly with D4s PIC code on PIC16f30 chip. But when I swap out the PIC to the ATTINY44 chip I cannot use reset to switch regions/screenmodes, the LED does not change colour and I can't reset the console. The MegaDrive still works apart from that.

I've been through numerous ATTINY chips, and also bought another Arduino Uno to rule out the programmer. But like I said, I am able to upload Blink to the ATTINY and test that it works.

Any help would be appreciated.

Hedgehog-in-Training Hedgehog-in-TrainingWildside Expert majinga's Avatar

The author of the mod is waiting for his account to be unlocked. Sure he can help you

Quote Originally Posted by majinga View Post
    The author of the mod is waiting for his account to be unlocked. Sure he can help you
    Just tried flashing the code directly to my Arduino Uno and then connecting that to the MegaDrive. This seemed to work, however not 100%. After about 10-15 seconds of play the system gets stuck in a reset loop, going to try forcing active_reset = high in the code and trying again.

Hedgehog-in-Training Hedgehog-in-Training SukkoPera's Avatar

Looks like I can finally post . Thanks majinga for helping with this!

I need some information first, just the basic facts... Can you tell me where it hurts?

Erm, I mean: what MD++ branch are you using? Master or 6button? The latter is newer and more stable but does not support ATtinys, an Arduino Nano or Uno or Pro Mini is recommended.
    Last edited by SukkoPera; 04-19-2019 at 05:06 AM.

Just made and installed this custom board using an ATtiny2313 based off SukkoPera's awesome work. Old pic without the pad wired in but just done that today and it works really well. This is just a basic version based off the old MD++ master branch so no support for 6-button pads on this one.

1uDVZ2Fl.jpg
    Last edited by zerosignal; 05-01-2019 at 05:22 PM. Reason: Image not displaying

Video Game Modder Outrunner segasonicfan's Avatar

[ edit, post can be deleted ]

Thread Information