Quantcast

Page 8 of 8 FirstFirst ... 45678

Thread: Damn 32x Price is insane!

urusei yatsura Master of Shinobi lumclaw's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by CrossBow View Post
    Well..the best we really have access to in the case of the Sega systems originally, would be to use an RGB to SCART type cable. Then we have to use a SCART to component or hdmi converter. In any case some conversion was required and the possibility for lag being introduced. With an S-video type setup, many CRTs back in the day had s-video inputs but we never did get SCART here in the US. So until the advent of component and digital video signals, we were essentially relegated to only composite and s-video.
    When you think about it all the wasted production cost is loony. Add up how many SNES, Genesis, PS1/PS2/PS3, etc, sold in the US or similar countries.
    Hundreds of millions of RGB outputs that served no purpose.

Quote Originally Posted by SegataS View Post
    Yeah, my 32X is always in the system and I use S video.
    Same here. The 32X I have (w/ S-Video) got rid of all my jailbars that I had on my S-Video modded Genesis 1

Quote Originally Posted by bultje112 View Post
    why on earth are people butchering their megadrives etc with s-video? rgb absolutely blows it out of the water. sega systems were famous for having tremendous rgb and not so tremendous s-video and composite.
    Because some of us don't have TVs that support the Genesis on RGB to component or don't have the money for PVMs or expensive upscalers. My CRT TV only has S-Video at best and no component input, so there's that also. My HDTV won't accept the Genesis' video signal on RGB to component neither, but does accept the SNES' RGB to component just fine. And I'm not using a SCART to component box neither, I saved money by adding component output to my SNES direct from its video encoder with a very simple circuit and it looks fantastic. However when it comes to 1CHIP Super Nintendos/SNS-101s, S-Video looks extremely good and just about the same as RGB IMO.

As for my Genesis, I settled on using a cheap S-Video to VGA upscaler because it has less input lag than the S-Video HDMI upscalers. Also, the $50 SCART to HDMI upscalers are atrocious when it comes to input lag (I may as well be using an emulator) and they don't look any better than S-Video. If I could afford it, I would get the OSSC which I do plan to get, someday...

S-Video gets a lot of unwarranted bad rep but yet it looks very close to RGB. S-Video to RGB is not like making the jump from RF/composite to S-Video/RGB, the differences are much much smaller. It doesn't hurt to have the option to be able use both S-Video and RGB either. If you can use RGB and have an expensive upscaler or a PVM, then great. But S-Video is not bad at all.
    Last edited by roadkill; 03-03-2018 at 03:51 PM.

Yeap I like the option of having the s-video there as it makes the Genesis more video our friendly. With the composite and s-video outputs available, I can take it anywhere and be able to plug it into pretty much any display tech out there. I also have a set of the HDretrovision cables for the RGB to component (My Sony LED does work with this) and I do prefer the look overall of the RGB-component out and use it primarily. Still, it is nice to have the s-video there all the same.

The price of the 32X keeps going up. I'm definitely going to hold onto mine. The cheapest I can find it on ebay atm is one without any accessories going for $70. The average price for ones with all the accessories is now $100! I've also seen an S-Video modded one sell for $150 w/ all the accessories included.

Quote Originally Posted by roadkill View Post
    The price of the 32X keeps going up. I'm definitely going to hold onto mine. The cheapest I can find it on ebay atm is one without any accessories going for $70. The average price for ones with all the accessories is now $100! I've also seen an S-Video modded one sell for $150 w/ all the accessories included.
    Hell..maybe I should dump my s-video only 32x without accessories on the 'bay then. I only paid like $25 for the loose 32x from a local shop here and had the parts on hand to do the s-video mod to it. But that would mean whoever, uses it will have to use the audio out from their headphone jack on a model 1, or get a model 2 that has been modded with RCA outputs because as I said, this 32x is s-video only. I pulled the original AV out from it and put an s-video output that fit in the same spot on the PCB in its place.

Quote Originally Posted by CrossBow View Post
    I pulled the original AV out from it and put an s-video output that fit in the same spot on the PCB in its place.
    Heh interesting. I had always thought about if I should do that or not before I had my 32X modded for S-Video output. It definitely would make it look more stock, but I always keep telling myself that it would no longer have RGB output, and no audio output either unless a TRS jack or RCA jacks are added to the 32X itself, or as you said, to a Model 2.
    Last edited by roadkill; 06-03-2018 at 03:09 PM.

RGB is king

Hedgehog-in-Training Hedgehog-in-Training ShadowFalls's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by roadkill View Post
    I noticed that too, the prices for the 32x and Sega CD have been on the rise. I got one only a few months ago for $40 and now you are lucky to get one for that which is not broken. To me, if you own a Genesis, you should have a 32x even if you don't intend to play 32x games. It is a noticeable improvement. It seems like any time someone does a YouTube video on something, the prices go up.

Quote Originally Posted by ShadowFalls View Post
    To me, if you own a Genesis, you should have a 32x even if you don't intend to play 32x games. It is a noticeable improvement.
    I 100% agree. For me, having a 32X w/ S-Video output is very convenient because I can put it on any Genesis I come across and immediately have S-Video output from the Genesis without having to modify it. I plan to one day get an OSSC and finally use RGB, but until then I'm still using S-Video. And yes, it is a noticeable improvement w/ the video output of any Genesis, reducing jailbars as well as making the colors slightly more vivid.

Quote Originally Posted by ShadowFalls View Post
    It seems like any time someone does a YouTube video on something, the prices go up.
    Definitely

Thread Information