Quantcast

Thread: Lossless audio

Media Lossless audio

Hi all,
    Again, not sure if this topic is taboo, but I was wondering if people have access to lossless cd audio as apposed to compressed mp3s.
    One game in particular that I'm looking for is The Terminator. Again, would love to buy it but its $700!

Do you have TP??? Raging in the Streets Cornholio857's Avatar

Look for TOSEC rips. IIRC those are straight copies (images) of the CD. Though I have seen ISO/WAV/CUE versions.

If just FLAC rips of the soundtrack, I've seen a few with a quick Google search.

Thanks

Hedgehog-in-Training Hedgehog-in-TrainingNameless One

Aren't most rips lossless anyway? The ones I've seen are just a bin and cue file that make up the entire disc image. I would think nothing's compressed on those.
    W E L C O
    M E T O T
    H E N E X
    TL E V E L

Extreme Procrastinator Master of Shinobi Flygon's Avatar

A crapload of older rips (think, distributed around 2005) were low bitrate MP3's with .iso's. This's around the time when normal Internet in my area was just 256/64kbits with 5-10GB a month.

Times have changed.

King of the Ring WCPO Agent ThugsRook's Avatar

bin+cue is lossless.

it really doesnt matter tho ~ SEGA CD audio isnt actually digital or high quality.

Mega Driven Raging in the Streets cleeg's Avatar

BIN CUE images could potentially be recompiled as an image of this sort from MP3s or similar. So while full size they may contain lossy sound.

Why anyone might do this is a mystery, but it's conceivable. Sorry to nitpick.

Hedgehog-in-Training Hedgehog-in-TrainingNameless One

Quote Originally Posted by ThugsRook View Post
    bin+cue is lossless.

it really doesnt matter tho ~ SEGA CD audio isnt actually digital or high quality.
    Well, PCM is still considered digital; even if it has its own technical shortcomings. The music on any console is digital for that matter. If it wasn't, then your copy of a game might sound different than mine due to transfer process, storage conditions, etc. Beyond that, the SegaCD has DACs for a reason

Quality depends entirely on the production associated with it: The composing stage, mixing, mastering, etc.

Quote Originally Posted by cleeg View Post
    BIN CUE images could potentially be recompiled as an image of this sort from MP3s or similar. So while full size they may contain lossy sound.

Why anyone might do this is a mystery, but it's conceivable. Sorry to nitpick.
    It would be more likely if someone burned an image that had MP3s to a disc then re-ripped the burned disc to a "lossless" format (but the loss occurred before that, of course). Repackaging a LQ MP3 rip as something lossless seems like a wasted effort for anybody, but someone getting ahold of a LQ burn (and subsequently ripping and distributing it on the net) is certainly a possible scenario. Still don't think it's all that likely, as even Turbo Duo games aren't THAT hard to find (even if they're expensive, it's not like you can't track 'em down, and ripping groups take their ISOs very seriously).
    W E L C O
    M E T O T
    H E N E X
    TL E V E L

Thread Information