Quantcast

Thread: Demolition Man (Sega CD)

Sega CD Demolition Man (Sega CD)

Break out the Taco Bell! Stallone and Snipes are on your Sega CD, and they've got lots of action and shooting to keep you busy. That is, unless you've already played the Genesis version. In that case, they've got the same game but with some grainy FMV scenes! Still, it's worth adding to your library, since it's a very solid action title. Grab some seashells and read the full review for more details.

Swing swords like shinobi Master of Shinobi IrishNinja's Avatar

woo hoo!! my first review, haha - again, sorry i took so long & didn't get screenshots for it, i think next time i'll do an SMS one and just emulate it for easier shots. thanks Melf!

Thanks Barone! appreciate it, man - i've read a ton of reviews since the days of gaming mags, and always felt daunted by writers better at nuance, like identifying smaller things that worked/didn't work in a game. it sounds silly, but i'd put this one off so much, it was on my list of new year's resolutions, haha!

i'd wanted to also do something for HG101, but man, even niche stuff i love like Yakuza, it's hard to find something that's not thoroughly covered. over this way, i'm thinking it'd be cool to maybe tackle Golvellius!

Raging in the Streets A Black Falcon's Avatar

Yeah, this is a fun, surprisingly competent game. Good stuff. Sure, some new content would have been nice, but I don't mind an improved port. How much of the movie is on the disc, though? They don't mention an amount on the case, unlike SCD Cliffhanger which boasts of its "20 minutes of video", so it's probably not as much as that, but there does seem to be a fair amount...

Talking

ah, i don't know exactly, but that's a fair question - ill see if i can find out!

Quote Originally Posted by Barone View Post
    I think HG101 has a much broader community, we sure need you more than them. Just saying.

And about your concerns regarding writing style: each person has its own and each style has its fanbase.
    aw, i'm not going anywhere - i'm on a few forums, but moreos here than most others.
    and i remember years ago - think it was kotaku? - there was talk about reviewing styles, and many were saying that statements like "if you like (x), you'll enjoy (y)" were lazy...i suppose they can be a crutch, but i very clearly can't review things all that well without said frames of reference!

i suppose it takes certain things for granted, but yeah, if you're here and interested in a Demolition Man review in the year of our lord 2k16, my presumption is that Rolling Thunder, Smash TV, Robocop vs Terminator etc are things you're familiar with, heh.

Hard Road! ESWAT Veteran Barone's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by IrishNinja View Post
    i suppose it takes certain things for granted, but yeah, if you're here and interested in a Demolition Man review in the year of our lord 2k16, my presumption is that Rolling Thunder, Smash TV, Robocop vs Terminator etc are things you're familiar with, heh.
    And if you are not, you can just google it and play those games almost instantaneously.

Bring on the noise! Outrunner Bones Justice's Avatar

Interesting, I didn't know there was a Genesis version of this game. Also interesting that the Genesis version gets a highher score on Sega-16; the CD version is definitely superior, even if just for the video clips and audio.

I got this game right after Terminator CD. That game is good but Demolition Man CD is a lot better. Terminator was too short / easy for me. I really like both styles of play in this game. And they did a great job with the cutscenes to advance the story. The video may look grainy now but back then, I thought it was amazing to have all of those clips as a reward for advancing. Oh yeah, and Phoenix's demise is done better than the ending for Terminator.

Great review, never would have known it was your first!
    Slayer-1: "Minus 210 degrees...minus 215...minus 220. Why are you still standing?"

Bones: "My will...will not die."

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=AJ-iQfP3mFs

Thanks man! and yeah, i saw the higher score on the genny review (which was also good/helpful), i just didn't want to inflate my score based solely on that, haha

Bring on the noise! Outrunner Bones Justice's Avatar

Good point. With different reviewers writing at different times, even years apart, I guess it's bound to happen. If the Genesis version plays like the SegaCD version, it deserves a good score, too.
    Slayer-1: "Minus 210 degrees...minus 215...minus 220. Why are you still standing?"

Bones: "My will...will not die."

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=AJ-iQfP3mFs

Quote Originally Posted by Bones Justice View Post
    If the Genesis version plays like the SegaCD version, it deserves a good score, too.
    It's a pretty good game IMO. Uses the same engine as Stargate, another overlooked action run'n'gun type affair that was pretty much overlooked on the Genesis.

I liked the review. Straight, to the point and still with a personal touch.
    The funny thing about an oxymoron is, even if you remove the ox, there'll always be a moron. The Question Remains: Y?

Submitted:
    Champions of Europe (Master System)

Work in progress:
    Reviews:
    Aladdin (Master System)
    Speedball 2 (Master System)
    Features:
    Side-by-Side: Speedball 8bit ports (C64 vs. SMS vs. NES)

Japanese Sonic CD FTW!!! Master of Shinobi Ecco's Avatar

I haven't played Contra III. The review is saying it has a mode 7 demo, right? Is it that plane that approaches from the background, or is there a different effect that it's referring to?

Hedgehog-in-Training Hedgehog-in-TrainingNameless One OmegaMax's Avatar

Good review,never played this for segacd I has the 3do version.

Thread Information